Which Food Should I Get When I Bring Dog Home

angelnkids

hi everyone i know this has been asked million times, and ive googled stuff about food, and get lots of different answers.

The breeder uses the premium stuff when they are puppies, but when they are older uses woofbix from bigw, the dog looks healthy and has a healthy coat, and said she is fine on that and poos are good.

She claims that there is around the same nutrients in it, as the premium stuff, i dont know if that is true or not though.

Ive heard quite a few good things about the woofbix, but as its so cheap, im worried its rubbish.

I understand diff foods work with diff dogs, and sometimes even the premium stuff doesnt work with some dogs.

I went in better pets and gardens yesterday to buy some stuff, and she asked me about food, i told her what the breeder said and she said the cheaper stuffr will be crap and should feed the premium stuff,

so im just asking you guys your opionions and advice.

If stuff like fish with oils, bones, pasta and rice, is better i would just rather do that.

thanks

Feeding is a bit like religion - everyone has their own version of what is right and the best thing to do is to work out what you like/what works and go with that.

Whatever you do, keep feeding what your breeder has been and then slowly wean your new pup/dog off it. Nothing worse than an upset tummy becuase of a sudden change in diet.

FTR - I feed a mixture of raw foods/bones/mashed/pureed veges and tinned sardines. The dogs are better for it and we find it cheaper. Not to say that is the way everyone should go - some dogs just won't stomach it and do better on a commercial diet.

never had good results with any animal on cheap dry foods, dog, cat or ferret. If it's out of your budget per bag then a raw diet is the way to go with something like the Vets All Natural

There are as many bad home made diets as there are commercial, what some people cook up for their dogs just boggles the brain but we digress...

Firstly there are some excellent commercial foods out there that won't break the bank, generally speaking you do not have to feed as much of the better quality foods to get the same result. There are many to choose from, if you go that path look for minimal grains and for MEAT as the first ingredient.

Some GSD can have easily upset tums so change carefully and do not introduce too much at once, especially during the settling in period. The dog does well on chicken, so keep with the chicken meat and maybe a better quality dog food to start with. If you want to go for a more natural raw type diet start with chicken and add from there, Turkey necks, chicken frames, chicken quarters, are all good sizes for a GSD, but if bones have not been fed before you will have to watch carefully that he does actually chew his food properly and not just gulp it.

There are many excellent threads on feeding raw and on commercial foods if you search here on DOL.

thanks for that, im happy to pay for prmium biscuits, we can afford to, we will prob do a mixture of raw meat and biscuits, but like u said if u use less of the more expensive ones, then they will last longer anyway.

i want what will be best for the dog, which is going to make her healthy and a nice shiny coat, not what is best for my bank balance.

i understand breeders may try to budget cos they have a lot of costs.

thanks

There are as many bad home made diets as there are commercial, what some people cook up for their dogs just boggles the brain but we digress...

Firstly there are some excellent commercial foods out there that won't break the bank, generally speaking you do not have to feed as much of the better quality foods to get the same result. There are many to choose from, if you go that path look for minimal grains and for MEAT as the first ingredient.

Some GSD can have easily upset tums so change carefully and do not introduce too much at once, especially during the settling in period. The dog does well on chicken, so keep with the chicken meat and maybe a better quality dog food to start with. If you want to go for a more natural raw type diet start with chicken and add from there, Turkey necks, chicken frames, chicken quarters, are all good sizes for a GSD, but if bones have not been fed before you will have to watch carefully that he does actually chew his food properly and not just gulp it.

There are many excellent threads on feeding raw and on commercial foods if you search here on DOL.

and to add do you just buy stuff like chicken necks, bones etc from the butchers, supermarket??

We source all our fresh meat and bones from the butcher and supermarket, due to not having any pet meat outlets. We shop around for the best buys, our Butcher does my chicken mince fresh for me from offcuts and frames, so it is always fresh and good quality,I also get cheek and heart from him and lamb bones, usually we get turkey necks from coles, the meatiest chicken frames from our IGA.

Depending on where you live you may have pet meat outlets that supply good quality products at good prices. There is a sticky thread in Health that may help you with local info.

and to add do you just buy stuff like chicken necks, bones etc from the butchers, supermarket??

In my case, I buy from the butcher because they are more value for money. I buy human grade cuts. My philosophy is 'cheap is not always economical'

Feeding can do your head in :laugh:

I spent ages checking the ingredients, then looking up each one to see what it was.

My dogs did well on the supermarket Optinum, with raw necks and wings, but as the price per bag crept up a looked into premium foods.

They did well on Proplan, and Advance too, still with raw bits.

You feed less on good stuff, and poo is firmer and there's less :laugh:

Guest donatella

also jump over to the health forum here there are reviews on a few different things you might like to read up yourself and see the reviews. some very good advice over there.

Keep feeding the same as the breeder for a week or so ... and then gradually change to what you want to feed. I am also of the view that you get what you pay for.

We feed raw and Canidae Grain Free - we were feeding raw but the youngest started turning his nose up at it and because he was too thin I was desperate to keep weight on him that I decided to tried dry food. He is sensitive to beef and grains so when I tried the Canidae PureSea (grain free and fish based) and both boys loved it ... it became part of their diet and they still love it.

The better quality that goes in one end means smaller deposits out the other end :D

What do you feed....it's as varied as people are...LOL

I personally use Advance as a dry food, this is mixed with my own home made cooking, this consists of the following:

Fresh chicken mince, (purchased direct from supplier for $1.00 kg)

cooked with vegetables which consist of:

Broccoli

Sweet Potato

Green Peas/beans

Butternut Pumpkin

Carrots

Cauliflower

Cabbage

All seasoned with Garlic, Ginger, Salt, Cracked Pepper, Sugar, Chicken Stock,

Once cooked place in 500ml plastic containers and freeze.

Serve 250g cooked meal with 200g Advance, (1) Heaped Tablespoon fresh homemade Yogurt and 1/2 a fresh Chicken Frame,this will cost you $2.00 per dog per meal.

May I ask why the seasoning?

Hi Crisovar,

The seasonings just add extra flavor, basically as we like the flavor of seasonings I believe our dogs do too, and also to add additional trace vitamins. IMO.

All I know is this, I never ever have to add any foreign substance to enhance their coat when in the show ring, they have a natural shine to die for, I keep getting asked, "What do you use on their coat", I don't think they believe me when I say "Nothing".

Edited by Dlanigervon

May I ask why the seasoning?

Hi Crisovar,

The seasonings just add extra flavor, basically as we like the flavor of seasonings I believe our dogs do too, and also to add additional trace vitamins. IMO.

Surely the chicken stock is more than adequate for extra flavour? I don't understand how sugar, salt and pepper could be of any benefit?

My boy is fed raw, and I grate raw veggies without any flavouring whatsoever. I don't feel dogs need the extra flavours, especially salts and sugars. Having said that, I don't think my boy even has a chance to taste. He just hoovers up whatever is in his plate. I have been lucky to the extent that none of the dogs that have lived with our family has been fussy. Anything offered is eaten.