Hawkesbury Urgent Pound Listings

Can I just raise an issue with the way the Hawkesbury pound listings are being done now? With it just being a photo with the impound number within the image and no mention of the Impound number as text it is impossible for anyone to do a search for a listing unless someone has specifically posted in the thread quoting the number. To find a previously listed dog we have to manually scroll through every thread and post to see what happened to the dog or even what it looked like.

This makes it very difficult for sites such as ours which post the dogs to find out their status/fate so we can update/remove their listings on our site.

I don't know if anyone else finds it difficult but thought I would put my 2cents out there to see if the people who list the dogs could at least write the impound number above the photo.

Thanks for listening.

Edited by AWDRI

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Noted and thank you although a PM reaches the actual listers faster. I can't see one from AWDRI.

anna

Thanks Anna, good point!

Sorted now, hopefully I remember next week :o if not then you know where to find me lol.

anna

Sorted now, hopefully I remember next week :o if not then you know where to find me lol.

anna

Awesome, thanks heaps Anna, hopefully it won't take up too much of your time.

Di

Let me give you an example of the result of your listings from last week.

You had 2 dogs listed with impound number PCC216, each a working breed, which we rescue, but each polar opposites in age, health and appearance.

We put a hold on "Kenny" aka PCC216 and a volunteer collected him yesterday and took him to the vet.

Upon being called by the vet and told that he was around 9-10 years of age and in ill health with severe skin problems, ear problems, cauliflower ears and terribly arthritic hips and hence severe pain he was euthanased as he had very poor quality of life.

Upon following up with the pound it appears that the dog we thought we were getting wasn't even on any urgent list and certainly didn't have the impound number of PCC216 so we still don't know who that dog is or whether he needs our help. In the meantime because of relying on this thread we have incurred hundreds of dollars in vet bills for a poor boy who is now at peace that we can not only ill afford but which we should not have had to wear. I certainly don't regret giving this boy his wings as he was not happy at all with the pain he was in but I am angry that the resource that every rescue group relies on (the DOL threads) should have been so wrong as to cause us to end up with the wrong dog in the first place. If you wonder why people become disillusioned with DOL this is one of the (many) reasons why.

PCC 216 "DUKE" KELPIE X SHEPHERD MALE 10 YRS CHIPPED DUE 8.3

NEEDS RESCUE

click to enlarge

PCC 216 "KENNY" MALE BORDER COLLIE X KELPIE ? 2 YRS OLD OVERDUE

NEEDS RESCUE

click to enlarge

I can't answer that one for you Di, I'm sorry. Looks like human error somewhere but I can't explain it and can only apologise.

At the moment it's hard to work out who is safe, we muddle along and continue to list because something is better than nothing if you consider how many animals get listed vs errors made.

I do however, feel you're having a very public and personal dig at the volunteers who run the thread and go in to meet the dogs. Perhaps if the thread is so inaccurate you best just deal directly with the pound and use their website. Cut us out of the loop please.

xanna

I always find it productive to insult and publicly blame volunteers because I can't pick up the phone and call the pound to ensure details are corect or meet a dog I'm rescuing beforehand.

And I have enjoyed spending the last few years of my life listing pound dogs...at the expense of my own rescue and family. It's been fun.

The irony of the 'disillusioned with Dol' statement couldn't be clearer right now.

I believe there were two hawkesbury threads runing which was very confusing.

. They were posted by two different people.

Can understand the confusion.

. Not a personal attack just needed clarification.

Let me give you an example of the result of your listings from last week.

You had 2 dogs listed with impound number PCC216, each a working breed, which we rescue, but each polar opposites in age, health and appearance.

We put a hold on "Kenny" aka PCC216 and a volunteer collected him yesterday and took him to the vet.

Upon being called by the vet and told that he was around 9-10 years of age and in ill health with severe skin problems, ear problems, cauliflower ears and terribly arthritic hips and hence severe pain he was euthanased as he had very poor quality of life.

Upon following up with the pound it appears that the dog we thought we were getting wasn't even on any urgent list and certainly didn't have the impound number of PCC216 so we still don't know who that dog is or whether he needs our help. In the meantime because of relying on this thread we have incurred hundreds of dollars in vet bills for a poor boy who is now at peace that we can not only ill afford but which we should not have had to wear. I certainly don't regret giving this boy his wings as he was not happy at all with the pain he was in but I am angry that the resource that every rescue group relies on (the DOL threads) should have been so wrong as to cause us to end up with the wrong dog in the first place. If you wonder why people become disillusioned with DOL this is one of the (many) reasons why.

PCC 216 "DUKE" KELPIE X SHEPHERD MALE 10 YRS CHIPPED DUE 8.3

NEEDS RESCUE

click to enlarge

PCC 216 "KENNY" MALE BORDER COLLIE X KELPIE ? 2 YRS OLD OVERDUE

NEEDS RESCUE

click to enlarge

Have a few problems with this,

if you sent someone to collect the dog for you and the dog was suppose to be 2yrs old (which you would think you would give the volunteer the photo of the dog from either the HP website or DOL or other photo's on the internet to use as a guide) and looked like a ten yr old, which 'Duke' seems to be the one you got, why on earth would a red flag not have gone up on the the person collecting him??

I also thought AWDRI had pound dogs put through their website not DOL searches??

If I had noticed two dogs with the same impound number and relied solely on Poundlists DOL thread.

I would have asked for clarification rather than waiting until after everything was all said and done.

Surely when arranging with the pound there would be clarification of the description of the dog alongside it's no?

Would the volunteer pick up person not have noticed it wasn't the right dog? For rescue groups I have gone to collect a "female" dog from HP previously, listed as one on their website etc and when I got there I have found said female dog had a male appendage. This has happened to me more than once and I have called the rescue group to tell them and see if they still want a dog.

I guess what I'm saying is it would be safer to give the person collecting the dog a good description/picture of the dog you want them to get and have a discussion with the pound.

Rescue is a thankless task and so is doing the pound threads. Noone is perfect but I really think the last person that deserves any blame here is someone who spends their time doing such threads, it takes hours. And not only that but they themselves are also running a rescue and God knows that is extremely demanding.

I'm rather disillusioned with rescue these days, it's hard to know who to trust, who you can rely on. Some VERY unethical people hanging about with the aim of making a dollar and causing some horrific events to occur due to their recklessness.

Powerlegs is NOT one of those people and I'd like to thank her for all those hours she puts in behind the scenes, to do these threads and the many other things she does for rescue.

Sometimes I dream of getting a nice life with holidays, clothes, furniture etc. like other people and not being dragged down by the depression of beating my head against a brick wall, swimming against the ever growing tide of unwanted animals. But then I rescue another dog instead of giving it all away.

You know what i am sick of this crap, AWDRI if your VOL can't tell the diffrence between the 2 dogs then YOU or

someone else should explain a bit better what they are at the pound to collect.

As you have said the dogs were opposites so surely if you told someone to collect a 2 yr old Border x Kelpie

and the pound staff walked out with the old dog surley a question would be asked.

Bottom line ASK THE POUND STAFF i can only do my best and it seems that from this thread and others in the past

that it's not really good enough.

I have spent endless hours over the last 2 years VOL'ing at Hawkesbury and that has been at the expense of my partner

of 9 years and my 3 year old son.

I don't think i will bother anymore seems that my efforts are only picked on and aren't good enough

So over it all

Bottom line this is a voluntary resource which does not negate some type of effort by any rescue group. Perhaps AWDRI should relook at their own internal processes first before casting any biased stones. Glass houses must be so hard to keep clean.

Upon following up with the pound it appears that the dog we thought we were getting wasn't even on any urgent list and certainly didn't have the impound number of PCC216 so we still don't know who that dog is or whether he needs our help.

From looking at the DOL pictures and the HP website, my guess would be the dog was actually PCC197 and according to pound rounds social networking site he is safe with AWDRI ;)

Upon following up with the pound it appears that the dog we thought we were getting wasn't even on any urgent list and certainly didn't have the impound number of PCC216 so we still don't know who that dog is or whether he needs our help.

From looking at the DOL pictures and the HP website, my guess would be the dog was actually PCC197 and according to pound rounds social networking site he is safe with AWDRI ;)

So it all becomes clearer now. Pathetic.

The one time I went to pick up a dog for someone else, I knew well beforehand what that particular dog looked like, his age, etc... then checked and double checked with the very helpful HP staff member that he was indeed the correct dog for me to take...

I agree with those who said that the person picking up the dog should have known what they were there to collect... and when the wrong dog was brought out, they should have asked questions.

It's no excuse to blame the hard working volunteers that contribute to the urgent list pound pages here on DOL. The mistake was ultimately made by the person YOU sent to pick up the dog... or YOU for not letting them know EXACTLY what they were supposed to be picking up. If you just gave them an impound number based on what was posted here, then YOU ultimately can carry the "blame" for all the expense and heartache you've had in this case.

T.

Thought I'd just check the urgents again..

Can we clarify why 2 people have urgent Hawkesbury Lists.. One is very detailed with lots of updates .. The other has less info..

Getting confused between the two as both have comments from DOL'ers And yet infomation about saves is different..

SORRY have to ask.. Which one is correct and could we perhaps combine forces rather than running two lists ?? :confused: