Hawkesbury Urgent Pound Listings

Bottom line this is a voluntary resource which does not negate some type of effort by any rescue group. Perhaps AWDRI should relook at their own internal processes first before casting any biased stones. Glass houses must be so hard to keep clean.

Every one of us is a volunteer and as such processes are always open to scrutiny and review. This particular instance was caused by a volunteer being given only the impound number of the dog she was collecting and the breed mix which was kelpie x. Both dogs listed as PCC216 had this impound number and breed mix so there was no reason for her to suspect she was given the wrong dog.

Upon following up with the pound it appears that the dog we thought we were getting wasn't even on any urgent list and certainly didn't have the impound number of PCC216 so we still don't know who that dog is or whether he needs our help.

From looking at the DOL pictures and the HP website, my guess would be the dog was actually PCC197 and according to pound rounds social networking site he is safe with AWDRI ;)

You are incorrect. PCC197 was a red/chocolate BC x Kelpie and in no way resembled either of these dogs. PCC197 was collected by AWDRI and is safe with our organisation.

The dog shown in the photos attached and listed as PCC216 is not recognised by pound staff at all.

Upon following up with the pound it appears that the dog we thought we were getting wasn't even on any urgent list and certainly didn't have the impound number of PCC216 so we still don't know who that dog is or whether he needs our help.

From looking at the DOL pictures and the HP website, my guess would be the dog was actually PCC197 and according to pound rounds social networking site he is safe with AWDRI ;)

So it all becomes clearer now. Pathetic.

And from what pedestal do you stand and call us pathetic? Get your facts right before you start throwing stones.

DOL from a rescue perspective is obsolete and despite the hours of manpower put in by the volunteers who update the threads here (and we do recognise and acknowledge that fact) it is being replaced by social networking and hence for whatever reason is no longer a reliable source. Rescue is filled with enough infighting and bitching and backstabbing without it being done on yet another forum so AWDRI is out of here.

From the same pedestal which allows me to clearly see where you yourself have proved your bias. You're welcome.

Edited by The Bears

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The dog shown in the photos attached and listed as PCC216 is not recognised by pound staff at all.

Really? The staff are blind now too?

PCC 197 BORDER COLLIE MALE 2YRS

PCC-197.jpg_595.jpg

and "kenny" aka mislableled dog in question

post-6444-0-33033100-1331345982_thumb.jpg

Not so incorrect after all and the dog was on the urgent list....................

As you said kidspirit and innocent accident, but that does not seem to be the thoughts of AWDRI which is a shame.

Really over all the bullshit that seems to go on with HP threads these days, if the photo's can't be used by a specific rescue group - accusations of PL is not thinking of the dogs, stop the thread to have a break and gather themselves - again accusations of not thinking of the dogs, get an incorrect Imp number on a photo - the entire thread from here on in being pointless

(God forbid a human makes an error, I wish some people see what goes into the personalisation of a thread, with temp notes and photo's other than the ones provided on another thread which seems a bit fruitless as the HP website has the same information directly available in the same form),

I have seen errors on the HP website with Imp numbers before, thankfully AWDRI did not use that site as a source of information on pound dogs, imagine the abuse they would have gotten.

Can't win in any direction taken and see why the thread comes and goes, personally I wouldn't come back and do another thread waiting for more shit to hit the fan. :mad

Edited by Malti

The crux of the matter in the OP appears to be that a volunteer was given insufficient info on the dog they were to collect.

Until the giver of that info learns to suck it up and take some responsibility themselves, this sort of thing will continue to happen.

I can't believe that in this day and age, it was so impossible to include a photo of the dog with the other info - or at the very least, a decent description of said dog - like the one they were supposed to pick up was a YOUNG adult as opposed to a geriatric one. At any given time in HP there could be more than one Kelpie cross for dog's sake!

The other stuff BL and others are going on with has been done to death many times with the only real result of threads being deleted. For the sake of our sanity, could we stick to the general topic raised please?

T.

Sometimes I dream of getting a nice life with holidays, clothes, furniture etc. like other people and not being dragged down by the depression of beating my head against a brick wall, swimming against the ever growing tide of unwanted animals. But then I rescue another dog instead of giving it all away.

This is so my life! :eek: Dogmad you are not alone, we may be few but we are out here.

Same. :o I often dream of what it would be like to have a normal life, to be able to just lock up for the day and go out somewhere nice. Rescue is just a way of life now, I couldn't walk away if I tried.

I feel sorry for the dogs that will miss out because of this. They are the one's who will pay in the long run. It will lessen their chances of rescue even further. :(

I don't visit facebook or other social networking sites, I rely on the info I get from the pounds and the info that is so kindly provided here on DOL by volunteers.

The volunteers who take notes, pics, and update the threads deserve a massive thanks for the work they do. I helped for a short time updating the Blacktown thread and it was far from easy. So thanks guys - you all do and have done a wonderful job for the poundies. :thanks:

I am also another concerned at the direction rescue is taking. I have only been rescuing for 3 years but even I have noticed big changes and not all good since I started. :(

As things stand this thread has prompted the loss of our HP temp tester/photographer and the suspension of a valued shared login. :( Sad for everyone involved.

I hope we can all return to business as usual asap.

A little understanding of the limits volunteers have and any personal ethics they may hold would go a long way in settling things down. :)

xx

I help to update the Blacktown thread - at present we are without a login so will probably update using our personal sign ons until we can sort something out.

It takes a lot of work and dedication to volunteer to things like this - and it can be emotionally draining, time consuming and can hinder your own personal relationships.

Having said that though, it is my way of helping our poor souls who need it most - I used to foster care but with three dogs, and one who is a little temperamental, I can no longer foster but I do whatever I can to help out. It is not easy.

I take criticism against volunteers quite personally.

Thanks to everyone for their support and acknowledgement - it is nice to know what volunteers do is appreciated and noticed.

Just my 2 cents from someone who barely posts here, but is involved in my breed rescue and has been involved in rescue, since 2003.

I DO thank all the volunteers who post. Without that there would be several Dogues who probably would have either gone into the wrong hands, or euthanised.

However, I have been contacted by both volunteers and pounds themselves regarding a Dogue de Bordeaux they apparently have, only to find it's not. I clearly remember going to Blacktown to look at a Dogue de Bordeaux they wanted me to take, only to be faced with an aggressive pitbull who - even if it was a Dogue, I would not have considered rehomeable. I wouldn't have even been able to take him home!!

Another example was an actual dogue in QLD who I was told about but was also told she was aggressive. I asked a breeder who was local to the pound to go and look at her, and this breeders temperament assessment was VERY different. She was rescued and rehomed.

This is why I think it's important that I do MY OWN research on each and every dog that I am contacted about, and not rely only on the listings here (appearance, health or temperament). They are a good guide - but I will ALWAYS ask someone I know locally, or go myself, to ensure the dog is being represented correctly, and suitable for me to rehome.

I think it's great that the volunteers list all these dogs here in the one place making it easy for rescue to have a large overview on what out there and what's urgent - but I think responsibility on what actually gets removed from a pound by a rescue org, rests solely with that rescue.

This is why I think it's important that I do MY OWN research on each and every dog that I am contacted about, and not rely only on the listings here (appearance, health or temperament). They are a good guide - but I will ALWAYS ask someone I know locally, or go myself, to ensure the dog is being represented correctly, and suitable for me to rehome.

I think it's great that the volunteers list all these dogs here in the one place making it easy for rescue to have a large overview on what out there and what's urgent - but I think responsibility on what actually gets removed from a pound by a rescue org, rests solely with that rescue.

:thumbsup: Wed - this is all part and parcel of responsible rescue in my mind!! :)