Interesting News Out Of Crufts

Sheridan

From The Kennel Club website:

Bulldog and Pekingese fail Crufts vet checks

No dog representing the Pekingese and Bulldog breeds will compete in Thursday evening’s Best in Group competitions at Crufts after they failed the new veterinary checks that have been introduced to the show.

The Best of Breed award was not given to Pekingese, Palacegarden Bianca, or Bulldog, Mellowmood One In A Million, following their veterinary checks, which were carried out by an independent veterinary surgeon. This means that the dogs will not be allowed to continue into the Toy or Utility Best in Group competitions respectively.

The Kennel Club has introduced veterinary checks for the Best of Breed winners at all Kennel Club licensed General and Group Championship Dog Shows from Crufts 2012 onwards, in 15 designated high profile breeds. This measure was introduced to ensure that Best of Breed awards are not given to any dogs that show visible signs of problems due to conditions that affect their health or welfare.

The fifteen high profile breeds are as follows: Basset Hound, Bloodhound, Bulldog, Chow Chow, Clumber Spaniel, Dogue De Bordeaux, German Shepherd Dog, Mastiff, Neapolitan Mastiff, Pekingese, Shar Pei, St Bernard, French Bulldog, Pug and Chinese Crested.

Caroline Kisko, Kennel Club Secretary, said: “We are determined to ensure that the show ring is a positive force for change and that we help to move breeds forward by only rewarding the healthiest examples of a breed.

“The veterinary checks were introduced to ensure that dogs with exaggerated features do not win prizes. The independent veterinary surgeon decided that the Pekingese and Bulldog should not pass their checks and therefore they did not receive their Best of Breed awards and will not be representing their breeds in the remainder of the competition.”

Edited to add the other disqualified BOBs.

Edited by Sheridan

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

“The veterinary checks were introduced to ensure that dogs with exaggerated features do not win prizes. The independent veterinary surgeon decided that the Pekingese and Bulldog should not pass their checks and therefore they did not receive their Best of Breed awards and will not be representing their breeds in the remainder of the competition.”

The judges cant identify exaggerated features.....?

The judges cant identify exaggerated features.....?

Is that an actual question or a criticism?

Is that an actual question or a criticism?

A bit of both. Fair enough if the features could only be seen with a scope, but if they were obvious to the naked eye then its a criticism.

If they were scapegoats so Crufts could show a new attitude then I feel sorry for them.

Like others said, would be interesting to see why they were failed.

I wonder if those two dogs had breathing difficulties that may not have been too obvious to a non-vet or could only be distinguished with the use of a stethoscope?

I guess at this point it is all speculation, but if the dogs did have a health problem that the judges either ignored in favor of look or could not determine due to lack of veterinary training, then in my opinion this is a great development.

Shouldn't the RUBOB get a chance to go up for Group?

I don't know if they have similar rules to us in that regard.

Surely though if you are going to Vet, do it before the breeds compete, instead of messing around like this afterwards. This seems more like a bit of grandstanding to try and show that they are acting on the bad publicity they have received.

I've got my asbestos undies on. ;)

You know what? I think this is a GOOD thing. I look at some of those targetted breeds and shake my head and my guess is I"m not alone.

If a dog can't breathe without noise while at rest (and some dogs in these breeds can't) has exposed haw, massive skin folds etc, then I think breeders need to be "encouraged" to breed for less exaggeration. There was one of these breeds on the front of the Canine Journal some months ago and you could not see the dogs eyes due to the loseness of the skin on the head.

Change won't happen without these kinds of decisions and I can only hope that folk here in Oz (and especially judges) heed the wake up call.

About time the "more is more" school of breeding for features got quietly put to rest. I appreciate that judges are under a lot of pressure to maintain the status quo - far easier for an independent vet to be the 'bad guy' who gives others sound reason not to award exaggeration.

Edited by Telida Whippets

Interesting, is there any consequence for being absent at Crufts as there is from an Australian Royal?

A dog I was entered to show at Sydney Royal just did her cruciate :(. When I rang RAS I was told to bring a vet certificate on the day or pay $40 withdrawal fee. Penalties only applied if no vet certificate presented or $40 paid.

You know what? I think this is a GOOD thing. I look at some of those targetted breeds and shake my head and my guess is I"m not alone.

You are not alone. And judges have been overlooking some of these things for years.

It would be interesting to know why these two breed failed the vet test.

Pam

I agree.

I wonder what they have targeted Cresteds for? Surely not for being hairless??

Dentition perhaps?

There is nothing about their dentition that precludes a healthy crestie from living a normal doggy life. They can eat, chew bones, clean their whelps, chew the umbilical cords, they can certainly bite if they desire. I shall have to ponder that.

If a dog can't breathe without noise while at rest (and some dogs in these breeds can't) has exposed haw, massive skin folds etc, then I think breeders need to be "encouraged" to breed for less exaggeration. There was one of these breeds on the front of the Canine Journal some months ago and you could not see the dogs eyes due to the loseness of the skin on the head.

Change won't happen without these kinds of decisions and I can only hope that folk here in Oz (and especially judges) heed the wake up call.

About time the "more is more" school of breeding for features got quietly put to rest. I appreciate that judges are under a lot of pressure to maintain the status quo - far easier for an independent vet to be the 'bad guy' who gives others sound reason not to award exaggeration.

Totally agree.

[quote name='Telida Whippets' timestamp='1331246318' post=There is nothing about their dentition that precludes a healthy crestie from living a normal doggy life. They can eat, chew bones, clean their whelps, chew the umbilical cords, they can certainly bite if they desire. I shall have to ponder that.

But some of them have no teeth.

My guess is that perhaps there may be an alternate view that a dog with primitive detention that loses teeth at an early age may be considered a "health issue" by some outside the breed. And its only a guess but no other breed feature I can identify would promote veterinary interest :shrug:

Edited by Telida Whippets

I know there was some uproar about people using products on the dogs to take of the fuzzy hair on the hairless, maybe it has somethine to do with that? Not sure how they would know excately what had been used or hadn't