Australian Pure Bred Dog Forums - Dogz Online: Town Split On Dog Shootings - Australian Pure Bred Dog Forums - Dogz Online

• 6 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Old topic!
This topic has had no activity for over 365 days. Due to that, you will not be able to reply. Please create a new topic!

Town Split On Dog Shootings Two pet dogs have been left dead by the roadside with a morbid warning

#16 User is offline   rusty&biscuit 

• Forum Regular
  • State:QLD

Posted 11 March 2012 - 03:22 PM

Wow, I can't even begin to imagine what I would've done in this situation. Of course any person has every right to shoot any animal/s harming their own pets/livestock. I just can't imagine, if someone had left my gate open or something, and my baby boy was shot. I really do feel for the owner of the dogs...I would be devastated. RIP doggies and chookies

#17 User is offline   Dame Aussie 

• ~Ninja~
  • State:VIC

Posted 11 March 2012 - 06:02 PM

Very sad, and very petty behaviour from the farmer, of course he had the right to do what he did, but there was no need to rub it in like that.

If they were my dogs I would be furious.

RIP all animals involved.

#18 User is offline   Angeluca 

• Forum Regular
  • State:QLD

Posted 11 March 2012 - 07:08 PM

In qld it is the same, property owners have the right to protect their property. Don't even need to keep the evidence. Got a lady round the road who has had her son shoot dogs cause they killed her prize chickens. Only problem no proof there was even chooks on her property recently. she had my two once, but i drove onto the property and took them back while she was at work. I told the police i did it he said I was retrieving my property and nothing would come of it.

Regardless I have goldies and looking at them running through the back paddock they could easily be mistaken for dingos which i know are in the area cause i almost stood on one. Cute story lol! i was checking the perimeter cause i was bringing a stallion onto the property and i was walking back up a deer trial and he was curled up in the tiniest ball he looked up when a stood on a stick yawned and looked over his shoulder, then i'm preety sure the poor thing had a heart attack, he jumped yelped and ran off so fast.

Point is i know my dogs won't attack chooks but with 3 2000+ acre properties in a 10k radius it is not worth the risk.

#19 User is offline   casowner 

• Daisy you have stolen my heart, please don't break it
  • State:SA

Posted 11 March 2012 - 09:14 PM

Angeluca one of the dogs that created the carnage around here was an elderly lab that the owners swore wouldn't hurt a fly. We recently stopped and caught a stunning young goldie that had bailed up a ewe and lamb and drove around and found the property it came from. 6 weeks later there were lost signs up for it, I am guessing the other property owners got tired of the owners thinking it wouldn't do anything other than play. I am glad you don't take risks as that is the responsible thing to do sadly many others don't

#20 User is offline   dog-owner 

• Forum Member
  • State:TAS

Posted 11 March 2012 - 10:40 PM

View PostStaffordLUV, on 11 March 2012 - 01:16 PM, said:

oh and I would be charging you for the cost of replacing the chickens and the price of the ammo used to shot the dogs. ;)

charming.

If you read my post at all you would have noticed that I AGREE with the farmers rights, I would have COMPENSATED him for the chickens and also the ammo as you so kindly stated, I DIDNT AGREE with the way it went about.
You have no idea what the sign said, you have no idea how many shots went into the dogs and you have no idea how many times I have actually stuck up for this fellow around this community because the majority of the community wants pay back on him for how he went about it.
I am amazed at some of the comments on forums such as this when the majority of people agree with me about agreeing with his rights but wishing he had done it in a more civilised manner and then i have to read comments such as yours with a little smiley/wink face at the end of a post.
As i said....charming.

This post has been edited by dog-owner: 11 March 2012 - 10:48 PM

#21 User is offline   Peace_Of_Mind 

• Forum Regular

Posted 11 March 2012 - 10:47 PM

View Postdog-owner, on 11 March 2012 - 10:40 PM, said:

View PostStaffordLUV, on 11 March 2012 - 01:16 PM, said:

oh and I would be charging you for the cost of replacing the chickens and the price of the ammo used to shot the dogs. ;)

charming.

I think you left out time and effort...give the dog-owner a break. Have some understanding considering the circumstances...she explained what happened.
RIP dogs and chickens.:(

#22 User is offline   mr.mister 

• The crazy cat lady

Posted 11 March 2012 - 11:56 PM

I would probably shoot the dogs too if I found them on my property molesting my livestock. Whether they were first time escapees or not is irrelevant. Roaming dogs damaging livestock is nothing new to farmers, and if I were one I would be sick to death of it. I'll be darned if I would go to the trouble to catch an unknown dog at my own risk and return it to its owners.

The way the person disposed of the dogs could have been done better, though I'll bet that with those kinds of actions that they were sick of roaming dogs and wanted to make a statement that would get noticed.

#23 User is offline   Scales of Justice 

• Breeder

Posted 13 March 2012 - 09:03 AM

If people love their dogs they will go to whatever it takes to make sure the dogs do not leave their property.

If the dogs leave the property then the onus is on the owner, not the livestock owner. If someone leaves your gate open, its your fault for not padlocking it or leaving your dogs inside a locked kennel instead of a yard that is not really secured.

Too many times I've seen dogs wandering free and I'm sick of being accosted by dogs loose on the street. Its time owners realised that it is THEIR responsibility to keep their dogs in.

#24 User is offline   Linda K 

• Forum Regular

Posted 13 March 2012 - 10:34 AM

catching the dogs - sorry, not always an option, esp if they are riled up already from running around after livestock. And Dog-owner - you say you would have repaid - does that mean that you are still yet to do so, or now have no intention of doing so - whether or not you agree with what occured, your dog still inflicted damage on the farmer, and he is entitled to compensation from you - sorry, agree that whilst the farmer could have handled it a little more tactfully, you were the one in the wrong - your dogs got out, which meant they weren't too securely contained, and went off to cause havoc, which you are responsible for. As someone dealing with the aftermath of a $3000 and rising vet bill for a thoroughbred horse who will now never race, and has the most horrific leg wound from a dog attack (we believe from the neighbours dog that we have issues with, but can't prove it was the one who did it), believe me, if I had the chance to have shot the animal who did that to my horse at the time, you had better believe I would have put a shot into it too.

#25 User is offline   Whippetsmum 

• Forum Regular
  • State:NSW

Posted 13 March 2012 - 03:44 PM

I'm sorry that you lost your dogs Dog-Owner. I hope the landlord has made an apology to you for letting the dogs out, I know it wouldn't help much. I hope you and the town get over what has happened.

Something like this can happen to anyone- all it takes is for someone to leave a gate open....and it wasn't Dog-Owner who left the gate open, as stated in their first post:

"Our landlord accidently left the gate open when he was doing some maintenance on the back of our house.
They were securely in their yard apart from this instance."

i]"your dogs got out, which meant they weren't too securely contained,"-[/i]Linda K

Linda K, I understand you are angry about what happened to your horse, but being bitter doesn't help you or Dog-Owner or the farmer. In the incident described, what else could Dog-Owner have done to make the dogs more secure? It doesn't matter how high the fence is or how many padlocks are on a gate when a landlord can come in and leave a gate open. The dogs didn't "get out" of a secure yard, the yard was unsecured by another person, who unfortunately as a landlord has rights of access to make repairs.

#26 User is offline   bulldogz4eva 

• Forum Regular

Posted 13 March 2012 - 07:33 PM

I think I would disappear old mate farmers dog to teach him a lesson in manners.The punishment should fit the crime.Whats a few chooks worth anyway.Its not like they were pulling down a prize bull.yes you can shoot dogs on rural property and I have done myself but you also have to use a little common sense.Some farmers are just wankers.

#27 User is offline   persephone 

• Shutter-click Addict

Posted 13 March 2012 - 08:05 PM

Dog-owner , I am very sorry your dogs did not receive the instant death they should have , if shot. :( :( That must have been very hard for you to discover...and I would have been devastated.

I live in the bush, and have both had a dog shot, and shot a roaming dog. Both incidences are soul destroying.

My kelpie, Jack was 12 years old, almost blind, toothless and deaf. He followed our tyre scent down to a neighbour's house...where he had been before ... and they shot him and threw his body on their tip. They had seen him on plenty of occasions ..... We were not terribly forgiving. they had no stock anywhere close ...

The dog we shot was a pig dog ...and we tried for a couple of hours to catch him, using food, and our own dogs - he would not be caught :(

next morning his owner came looking ..we were honest, and we all cried together - he was able to take his boy's body home for burial ...

It is never ever a nice thing, but when the poor dog does not die immediately, that is just cruel and uneccessary

#28 User is offline   TillyDevine 

• Forum Regular
  • State:NSW

Posted 13 March 2012 - 08:16 PM

Dog-owner...your landlord needs shooting along with the neigbour that shot your dogs to shreds!!

This post has been edited by TillyDevine: 13 March 2012 - 08:20 PM

#29 User is offline   teela 

• Forum Regular

Posted 13 March 2012 - 08:31 PM

When we lived in rural SA OH used to have a job which entailed going onto many different vineyard and farm properties. I often went with him just for the drive. Nearly every property had a dog. Not one of them had the dogs behind fences. They ranged from large purebred dogs to mutts and crosses of all sorts. Seemed like no one cared where their dogs wandered, or had the stupid attitude that dog wont leave property cause that's where it's fed.

#30 User is offline   Peace_Of_Mind 

• Forum Regular

Posted 13 March 2012 - 10:37 PM

View PostTillyDevine, on 13 March 2012 - 08:16 PM, said:

Dog-owner...your landlord needs shooting along with the neigbour that shot your dogs to shreds!!

Wow sounds like "lets all get our guns out and start shooting" WTF.

Like someone said "whats a few chooks" may they RIP. To me it sounds like this is the first time these dogs got out and like the dog-owner said she could not comment on the note he left which sounds like he wrote some pretty nasty things....hey anyone think of shooting him?
Lets shoot the landlord, the dogs have already been shot....plenty of blame to go around.

I tell you if anyone tried to shoot any of my animals god help them, I wouldn't get a gun to shoot, I have my own brand of punishment.
Sound harsh, well don't give a rats arse what people think, but I think the dog-owner is getting a pretty raw deal here and the majority members popping up like Americans who shoot first and then think.
God help us :confused:

Share this topic:

Old topic!
This topic has had no activity for over 365 days. Due to that, you will not be able to reply. Please create a new topic!

• 6 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy | Web Site Terms and Conditions