How Old Have Your Last Dogs Lived?

Blackdogs

Following on from another thread that I do not wish to hijack, I would be interested in hearing personal accounts of longevity, or lack thereof in their own dogs.

1. How long have your past dogs lived?

2. What breeds were they?

3. How did they die?

ETA: As always, I like to see pictures!

Edited by Blackdogs

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ollie dog

Staffordshire Bull Terrier

14 years and 4 months old when he was given his wings.

Ollie was diagnosed with Mast cell cancer when he was 8 years old and given 12-18 months to live with chemo as it was already systemic...

With chemo and holistic therapy he lived a long, happy and very spoilt life...

He passed away on October 25th 2011... I still miss him every single day...

Last dog that passed was this year, Sunday before and that was Skoota - almost 7 year old Dogue de Bordeaux from bloat

gfdog01.jpg

Last september my Rottweiler Diesel was PTS from severe HD/ED he had just turned 4

DSC_0044.jpg

Bella: 2009 rescue DDB died at 2 years of age from a heart attack a couple of months after I rescued/rehomed. Undersized trachea caused and enlarged heart which just couldnt keep up

P7300083.jpg

Jan 2008 I PTS my working line GSD Krueger just after his second birthday from HD/ED

Kurt122.jpg

Buddy; 2007 PTS SBTx from severe anxiety problems due to previous abuse

DSC00038.jpg

Edited by Nekhbet

Emma

Border collie - pedigree

12.5 years when I had to make the decision (although I only got her when she was 9 - so no where near enough time together).

The reason I had her PTS was kidney failure, although she had been diabetic for 18 months & in the 6 months before she was PTS she had numerous complications and surgeries for cataracts, had pneumonia & also a prolonged hyperglycaemic episode - so I don't think any of that helped at all.

Most recent would be Reeve who was an Australian Shepherd. He died last mth at 3yrs of age and we still don't know why.

post-808-0-99182200-1331293315_thumb.jpg

Last May I lost Quest who was also an Australian Shepherd. She was only 6yr and died of pneumonia.

post-808-0-07972500-1331293382_thumb.jpg

Prior to that I have lost 3 shelties. Brody at 16 1/2yrs, Kellie at 15yrs and Kayla at 13 yrs to age related things. Pays to be a sheltie in this house

Chuck

RidgebackX

Three weeks after his 16th birthday he was given his wings.He was my best friend through thick and thin.

He had some serious medical problems from about the age of 13 but we soldiered on.I had(and still have)an amazing supportive vet and a vet nurse that is now one of my closest friends.The day I took the Chuckster into the vet I knew he would not be coming home with me.I looped his collar over my rear vision mirror when I walked out and it is still there today.He travelled many highways with me and still does.He passed away on the 29th of November 2009 and I will miss him forever.

We have lost most of our dogs between 14 & 15 yrs - breeds were ACDs x 2; Gordon Setter; Lab; Border Collie x Kelpie. The only dog we have lost young was an ACD we had to PTS last yr at 6yrs old.

Mack.....Cocker Spaniel x.....2008....12.5 yrs........PTS after an injury to his spine, prior to that he had been healthy.

Chevy...... 2009....English Springer Spaniel .........13yrs 2 mths.......PTS after suffering a stroke, he was always a bit sad after losing his mate Mack, had been together since Mack was 7 weeks or so

Kelly, border collie x kelpie almost 16 years PTS with heart failure

Kelly, Aussie terrier (yes same name, when I met my now husband our dogs had the same name!) 17.5 PTS due to septicaemia

Chloe, unpapered Maltese. Gave her her wings at 16.5 years of age as she suffered a bit of a fit and then was breathing very shallow and not moving. It was her time, as her muscles had been wasting away over the previous 6 months so I gave her her wings so she could be her puppy self again at rainbow bridge - the Chloe I remember growing up!

Here she is with my Ruby when Ruby was a puppy.

339_28850208035_585378035_945554_6788_n.jpg

Guest Clover

Clover - Rottie x Australian Cattle Dog - 13 years and one week exactly - Old age, injury that could not be treated. 5 moths on and she is still missed like crazy and never far from my thoughts.

post-2703-0-83583300-1331298995_thumb.jpg

Edited by Clover

Mulan was around 18 when I PTS , i rescuesd her from the pound chi x pom

Misty was 16 when I PTS blue catlle , she was like the family hierloom, had lived with severasl of us , but was me at the start and at the end

Lily my (well, my parents') bullmastif died of cancer and an enlarged heart aged 6. Just past 5 years since we lost her at such a young age. :(

Hoping my two current dogs (aged 4 & 5) are with me for much longer!

Cloudy (foster failure) i lost her nearly 5 years ago to paralysis aged nearly 8 yrs old - we had her 7 weeks.

Lucy (puppy farm puppy) i lost her 3.5 yrs ago at almost 6 yrs old to Lymphoma as well as many many other health ailments.

Arizona - BYB Rottweiler - PTS due to severe OCD

Zeus - Registered Rottweiler (crap breeder)- PTS at 4yrs due to severe OCD of ELbows, shoulders and hocks, and HD. He also had had entropian surgery and a terrible temperment.

Natasha - Registered Dobermann - PTS @ 12 year old age related heart issues

Angel - Registered Dobermann - PTS @ 8 and a half - Dilated Cardio Myopathy, but also had spinal spondylosis and CI.

Ancient Stafford will be 15 in June :)