Does Anyone Else's Dog Get Sick When Wormed?

Just wondering if anyone else's dogs get sick after taking intestinal worm tablets?

I wormed Bruno last night with Drontal tablets (correct dosage for weight) and his poo today showed no obvious signs of worms. He is refusing food (he isn't a great eater at the best of times). He has eaten grass and his stomach is gurgling.

He is a very lean, 14 month old Boxer and really can't afford to lose weight. He's had other health issues, but has been quite good lately and even gained a little weight (after switching to a raw diet+VAN).

I'm guessing that cooked chicken and rice for a few days is the best approach? :confused:

Guest lavendergirl

Yes I have found that the little dogs get quite "off" after the all-wormer chews with loose motions and general lethargy. Thats why I have changed to just heartworm treatment every month and an all wormer every three months.

Yes I had one that did so now I make sure I feed all my dogs prior to worming them so they have food in their stomach.

Haven't had a problem since doing that. :thumbsup:

Yes, same here. I never administer worm tablets on an empty stomach.

if you're using the Drontals or Chews it's probably due to the Giardia chemical they have added in there. I use a generic Ranvet allwormer, no problems at all IF I have to use it. I wont use anything for Giardia.

Try a different brand, its very common for dogs to be intolerant of certain wormers!

Definitely try a bland diet and also just to rule out it is not something else giving him grief.

Edited by karly101

Yes I have found that the little dogs get quite "off" after the all-wormer chews with loose motions and general lethargy. Thats why I have changed to just heartworm treatment every month and an all wormer every three months.

Yes, I've been using Revolution monthly to cover heartworm, and only treat for intestinal worms every 3 months. :)

Yes I had one that did so now I make sure I feed all my dogs prior to worming them so they have food in their stomach.

Haven't had a problem since doing that. :thumbsup:

Yes, same here. I never administer worm tablets on an empty stomach.

I had fed him dinner before worming him. Maybe a different brand is worth a go next time?

if you're using the Drontals or Chews it's probably due to the Giardia chemical they have added in there. I use a generic Ranvet allwormer, no problems at all IF I have to use it. I wont use anything for Giardia.

Thanks Nekhbet, I didn't know about the inclusion of a Giardia chemical in Drontal. This is a dog who definitely doesn't have a 'cast iron stomach'! The less chemicals the better off he is. :o

Perhaps just get the vet to do a feacal egg count every 6 months or so. If it comes back clear then no need to worm at all!!

That's a good idea Jumabaar. Thanks. :)

And thanks to everyone else too. I'm relieved to hear that it's quite common and will look at other brands and options. :)

Drontal and Jurox brand now both do for Giardia which I'm not happy with.

http://www.greyhoundproductsdirect.com.au/products_ranvet.htm

I use the Ranvet ones when I have to, a LOT cheaper then Drontal too. Just crush it in with food or hide in tossed treats for the fusspots.

Re Giardia "Chemical".

There is no specific "Chemical" in Drontal that deals with Giardia ooocysts as such. It is more likely the dog wormed and showing a slight "off color" appearance after treatment with drontal could actually be affected with protozoan giardia spp and would need veterinary diagnosis to treat effectively. (usually 3 days consecutive treatments is prescribed). Drontal is the world No 1 all wormer and extremely low "side effects" noted.

I would have your dog checked by a veterinarian for Giardia before jumping around with wormers without true factual information re the active ingredients and expected reactions that have been grossly and incorrectly quoted here.

This is the factual information regarding Drontal.

Drontal treats Roundworms, Hookworms, Whipworms and Tapeworms (Echinococcus granulosus – Hydatid tapeworms), (Dipylidium caninum – common flea tapeworm) (Taenia spp., Taenia ovis, T. pisiformis, T. hydatigena). Also aids in the control of shedding oocysts of the protozoan Giardia spp in dogs

Drontal controls all intestinal worms effectively with a single dose. Drontal contains a patented combination of three active ingredients to control worms

Praziquantel is considered the gold standard for tapeworm control. It acts directly on tapeworms in the dog’s gut where it paralyses the worms within 30 seconds of contact. The dead worms are not passed as they disintegrate in the dog’s gut

Pyrantel and febantel target roundworm, hookworm and whipworms. The combination of these two active ingredients, which is unique to Drontal, have a synergistic effect, attacking the parasites on two fronts. The combination has outstanding efficacy against roundworm, hookworm and whipworms

Drontal Allwormer is the only non-prescription treatment available for Giardia. Protecting your pets against Giardia – the commonest intestinal parasite in dogs – may also protect your family from infection

I would have your dog checked by a veterinarian for Giardia before jumping around with wormers without true factual information re the active ingredients and expected reactions that have been grossly and incorrectly quoted here

Drontal has great marketing, as do some other brands that are number one - that figure goes on sales, not that it really is the 'best' per say. It doesn't cure Giardia, I know that and neither does the Jurox tablet. They added it to prevent shedding of Giardia which really, I dont see the reason for. But since changing to minimise the Giardia shedding more people are having problems.

extremely low "side effects" noted

and to me that is rather round about. What does one consider minimal side effects? Not dropping dead on the spot or having long term physical effects from one tablet? Conversely on paper they could not conclusively prove that some side effects were caused by the product or not enough dogs in the test group showed that symptom to consider it something to worry about - But an owner will worry when their dog is not right after administering a product. Laboratory testing and real world scenarios are two different things.

Edited by Nekhbet

I would have your dog checked by a veterinarian for Giardia before jumping around with wormers without true factual information re the active ingredients and expected reactions that have been grossly and incorrectly quoted here

Drontal has great marketing, as do some other brands that are number one - that figure goes on sales, not that it really is the 'best' per say. It doesn't cure Giardia, I know that and neither does the Jurox tablet. They added it to prevent shedding of Giardia which really, I dont see the reason for. But since changing to minimise the Giardia shedding more people are having problems.

extremely low "side effects" noted

and to me that is rather round about. What does one consider minimal side effects? Not dropping dead on the spot or having long term physical effects from one tablet? Conversely on paper they could not conclusively prove that some side effects were caused by the product or not enough dogs in the test group showed that symptom to consider it something to worry about - But an owner will worry when their dog is not right after administering a product. Laboratory testing and real world scenarios are two different things.

I dont know how/where you source your information from, but, it is rather incorrect. Drontal does in fact treat Giardia. It doesnt work by preventing shedding of the oocysts. It treats the very common problem that is often overlooked by owners as a tummy upset. There is no "Specific CHEMICAL" in drontal that targets ONLY Giardia. It is the combination of safe active ingredients and the prescribed dosage regime that treats Giardia along with ALL stages of 12 different intestinal worms, not just adult worms like some of the other wormers you have spoken about.

Rather round about???? what part of WORLD NO 1 intestinal wormer for over 4 decades don't you understand. Where are most intestinal wormers dispensed from?? Not the local pet store as you seem to be implying but by QUALIFIED VETERINARIANS worldwide for 30+ years. It doesnt get to be that popular by having known or documented side effects. Laborotory testings are conducted, very humanely, NOT ONCE but thousands of times( in various animals/species) to enable efficacy and ongoing LEGAL registration and technical requirements among many other things.

The known side effects along with contraindications are tested by, not only the manufacturers, but by competitor manufacturers, scientists, veterinarians, professors, doctors, and a myriad of other parties. Consumer feedback is of vital importance and is collated from millions of sources including documented self reporting (by owners) to the varying avenues available. this is published and used, so if a significant number of side effects are noted, steps are put into place to ensure quality contol and customer assurances are still pertinent.,

If you would like a discussion on Paratak or any other wormers or paraciticides, I would be more than happy to explain them for you too.

I get annoyed when non factual or misleading statements are constantly made on forums ect re any products, that may not be correct and at times not in the best interest of the health of our animals. If you would like links to factual and registered legal data sheets on any pharmaceutical product please feel free to PM me and Id be happy to point you to the appropriate information NOT SOME OLD WIVES TALES OR GOSSIP that is potentially dangerous to an animals health or well being. Kind regards

DO you work for Bayer? Or are you just argumentative for the sake of it.

Drontal does in fact treat Giardia. It doesnt work by preventing shedding of the oocysts.

Actually preventing shedding is not the same as treating a Giardia infection. Treatment means that you are actually stopping further progression of an infection and reducing the numbers of the disease causing agent to negligable levels that will no longer cause disease symptoms in the animal. Worming every 3 months will not cure a giardia infection - you're just trying to prevent shedding of oocysts into the dogs faeces which in turn may infect people, and THAT factor is a greater primary concern of the tablet, not treating the dog. The percentage of dogs that actually have Giardia is small. It's just another parasite we're going to help create chemical resistance to in the long term like we have done with other parasites.

From Drontals own website:

What should I do if I suspect my dog has Giardia?

If your dog has unexplained diarrhoea, talk to your vet

How can I help prevent Giardia?

It's important to help prevent gastrointestinal parasites by giving your dog Drontal Allwormer every three months. This is a different situation to treating a diagnosed infection. To help reduce Giardia risk, it's also important to cleanup and properly dispose of faeces.

You can only use their product as a 'treatment' per say IF you speak to a veterinarian, have it diagnosed and under their supervision of use because you're super loading the dog with the tablets over a few days, if not longer depending on what the vet can then tell you to do.

Rather round about???? what part of WORLD NO 1 intestinal wormer for over 4 decades don't you understand. Where are most intestinal wormers dispensed from?? Not the local pet store as you seem to be implying but by QUALIFIED VETERINARIANS worldwide for 30+ years.

There;s no need to be titchy with me I've been in science and animal industry for a decade now, I know about scientific testing procedures and I also know their pitfalls when it comes to a product being released. The process is not infallibe, it never has been in human or animal products. I also know what advertising means.

I know veterinarians who have totally moved away from using or selling Drontal in their clinics as they DONT find it effective as some others, and they are good vets who have been in their profession for decades.

Perhaps just get the vet to do a feacal egg count every 6 months or so. If it comes back clear then no need to worm at all!!

This is exactly what I do. My boy has proven negative for worms/intestinal parasites since I have had him. The only worming treatment he had was the puppy worming routine that I was recommended by his breeder. After that - nada to any worming treatments. He's now nearly 4yo.

As Jumabaar has said - no point in applying chemicals to kill off something that isn't there.

Edited by Erny

Thanks for all the replies and feedback. :)

Whether or not my dog became sick due to having giardia at the time of worming is anyone's guess. :confused: What I do know is this: every time I worm this dog (3 monthly) he is sick for a couple of days.

No big deal in a healthy dog, but this dog is underweight and has had other health issues to contend with. He's unlikely to have been suffering from Giardia last time he was wormed, and his stool sample was checked for parasites just after being wormed. I imagine that Giardia would have been one of the things checked, but I'd have to ask my vet. He was given the all-clear for parasites and then underwent treatment for 'Boxer colitis' (8 weeks on 'Baytril' twice a day).

So I suppose my observation is only anecdotal and is not scientific but I'd rather not subject my dog to more chemicals than is necessary. If Drontal is fine for 99% of dogs then maybe my dog is in the 1% who suffers side effects. He doesn't have a great immune system and has a sensitive gut/ bowel.

We have to go back to the vet this week. I will discuss doing a faecal egg count next time to determine whether worming is necessary (as suggested by Jumabaar and Erny.) :)