Paediatric Sterilisation Of Pups

Whipitgood

Could I have peoples thoughts and experiences on this please. What age is it done? It would be for Whippet puppys. I've never liked the idea of it before but there are more and more BYBs of whippets popping up in WA and I don't want to be partly responsible. Desexing contracts are not worth the paper they're written on.

Do the pups recover well? What sort of cost is involved? I'm guessing there is significant risks?

+1 for Vasectomy and Tubal Ligation.

For full desexing, the risks of anaesthetic and and cost isn't that different to an adult dog. I would be more concerned about developmental risks than the surgery itself.

Do any vets actually do it though?

I'd go vasectomy and tubal ligation rather than full sterilisation - if you can find a vet to do it.

All pups get the advantage of hormones for growth and won't end up in anyone's breeding program.

A bit off topic..but, I really wish there was a big media/educational push by our various clubs/societies/controlling bodies to let people know the difference between a registered pup and a pup from a BYB. Most people, when you talk to them, have no idea why they should get a pup from a registered breeder and don't realise, that, quite often, they pay more for their non health tested BYB pup than they would from a registered breeder that does the right thing. I am probably being naive, but I feel that if their was a concerted effort to educate, then the question of pediatric sterilisation would not be such an issue.

Personally, I wish there was no need to put young pups through these procedures, but agree with the others that, if it is necessary, then vasectomy and tubal ligation are the way to go.

All my puppies are desexed at around 10 or 11 weeks.

They come home from the vets after like they have not had anything done to them at all.

I have never had one have any problem ever & they are vaccinated & microchipped at the same time. They are only knocked out for a very short time, its a quick procedure.

For my particular small breed being the top dog in demand for cross & puppy farm breeding I consider desexing is the lesser of the 2 evils.

Many pet owners may let their little girl have just one litter or their cute little boy become a daddy & look after them & the litter very well & have no ill intention at all.

Then they sell the puppies, undesexed, no contracts or checks & unintentionally, without realisation, they end up perpetuating the circle of breeding we are trying to prevent.