Petshop Gutted In Fire

gillbear

http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/pet-shop-gutted-in-blaze-animals-die/story-e6frfku0-1226336971671

:cry:

A FIRE that tore through a business park in Sydney's northwest is believed to have killed all the animals in a pet store at the premises.

At least four units at the Dural Business Centre on Old Northern Rd caught fire just before 2.30am (AEST) today.

The centre is next to a Caltex service station.

Around 100 firefighters fought the blaze which was contained by 6am (AEST).

Inspector Ben Shepherd from the NSW Rural Fire Service said some parts of the complex, including the Dural Pet Superstore, had been destroyed.

The store sold rabbits, guinea pigs, chickens and budgies.

"The pet store has been completely gutted," he said, adding that the store's owners were "visibly distraught".

No people were hurt in the blaze.

Engineers were on site to assess which parts of the structure could be safely accessed.

"We have cleared one part of the building and a crew is inside putting out hot spots," he said.

Police said the fire broke out at a tyre factory although the cause was not immediately clear.

Residents who were evacuated from properties near the centre were being allowed to return to their homes.

Edited by gillbear

That's not really fair....it's the same as keeping our animal sin our homes if there is a fire - please don't make suce a sad thing about Live animals being sold in pet shops.

what a horrid thing to happen

I leave my animals inside when I am not here , parrots in cage as well as the dogs, esp when I am on night shift there is no reason for them to be outside at night

sas - I appreciate your comment BUT I don't think we are talking the same thing. My animals all live in the house but have access to escape and I have neighbours who would come to their aid. They are also not locked up alone overnight.

What if your neighbours weren't home while you were out? How do your animals have access to free themselves plus also be safely contained? Genuine question - my neighbours all work, if a fire started here all my pets would be burnt to a crisp as I have gone to a lot of trouble and cost to ensure all my animals are contained appropriately.

sas - I appreciate your comment BUT I don't think we are talking the same thing. My animals all live in the house but have access to escape and I have neighbours who would come to their aid. They are also not locked up alone overnight.

What if your neighbours weren't home while you were out? How do your animals have access to free themselves plus also be safely contained? Genuine question - my neighbours all work, if a fire started here all my pets would be burnt to a crisp as I have gone to a lot of trouble and cost to ensure all my animals are contained appropriately.

Same here. I don't think the "I told you so" attitude is fair, just because they sell live pets and they had a fire.

I heard this on the radio this morning but at that stage they weren't sure whether any or all of the animals were killed.

But then I saw footage of it on the news, and it was clear to see nothing could survive that blaze.

So so sad. :(

R.I.P. to the birds & animals lost. :rainbowbridge:

This store - Dural Pet Superstore sadly gutted by Fire, generally only had their pet parrots in store. Very very rarely did they have an other critters (for sale) in store. The owners ( a wonderful family) had a thriving business and operate a very successful wholesale supply business as well (separately). I am sure they will be extremely distraught over their losses which included a much loved and highly cared for parrot that free ranged in the store. Noting the previous comments made re animals left overnight in such stores, I'm sure most of you who work leave your animals unattended during the day too. Animals in Stores generally have more attention paid them than many animals in home situations too. Vale critters may you fly free at the rainbow bridge.

Edited by nowstarin

I remember the incredible service of free home delivery of dog food they provided when I lived nearby but was stuck at work. I also recall them phoning the Animal Welfare League Shelter when one of their freezers failed and they donated the meat if we came to get it.

Really lovely people who put their all into the business. Sad about the loss of animals. Hope the business was insured.

Very very sad, I just hope it was quick and they didn't suffer. :cry: :cry:

I lock all my dogs inside at night only when I am here other wise they have a doggy door so they can get outside if they need to. Its my biggest fear loosing my pets to a fire. :(

Edited by mish13

This store - Dural Pet Superstore sadly gutted by Fire, generally only had their pet parrots in store. Very very rarely did they have an other critters (for sale) in store. The owners ( a wonderful family) had a thriving business and operate a very successful wholesale supply business as well (separately). I am sure they will be extremely distraught over their losses which included a much loved and highly cared for parrot that free ranged in the store. Noting the previous comments made re animals left overnight in such stores, I'm sure most of you who work leave your animals unattended during the day too. Animals in Stores generally have more attention paid them than many animals in home situations too. Vale critters may you fly free at the rainbow bridge.

It is very sad. I do business with the wholesale side and I had cause to call the owner, not knowing about the fire. He is absolutely gutted about his parrot that perished in the fire, as he told me he hand raised the bird which had free run of the shop. He is also very concerned about his employees not having work. Now that's a beautiful character, don't you think?

Our thoughts go out to the owners and staff of Dural Pet SuperStore after the terrible fire today which destroyed the premises and took the lives of many animals.

You are all in our thoughts.

Having lived at Dural, and visited the store, and neighbouring businesses in the same complex over the years this comes as a huge loss to the community

R.I.P. Pierre, you were a beautiful bird…

http://www.pets.com.au/ (image of Pierre on front page)