Martingale Collar/lead

Sankari

Hi all I am looking for a better alternative. My Finnish Lapphund puppy has a slip collar and lead set its one you attach the lead to the clip collar which seems to choke her , I am looking for something that would be better. It was suggested to me to get a martingale collar for her. What have others used for puppies?

She's my first show puppy and is 14 weeks old Saturday (first show is in a couple weeks).

ETA: Can someone tell me where to buy one - preferably somewhere that i can get it before our show!

Edited by LucyCharzie

Hi all I am looking for a better alternative. My Finnish Lapphund puppy has a slip collar and lead set its one you attach the lead to the clip collar which seems to choke her , I am looking for something that would be better. It was suggested to me to get a martingale collar for her. What have others used for puppies?

She's my first show puppy and is 14 weeks old Saturday (first show is in a couple weeks).

ETA: Can someone tell me where to buy one - preferably somewhere that i can get it before our show!

Big Dog Show Leads make beautiful leads! http://www.facebook.com/bigdogleads

When's your first show? Perhaps a vendor at Bulla this weekend? I have a Glamour Show Lead (company started by the Big Show Dog Lead lady) that is a martingale, but it take sa few weeks to get them made.

You should be able to find one from a show vendor in silver so that you use different leads to match your mood/what you're wearing.

Our first show is 5th of May. We have a big dog bling lead and slip collar, the collar just chokes her too much thats all, I love the lead otherwise :)

it's not the collar choking her, she is doing it to herself. You need to do a bit more training with her. At 14 weeks old she is likely to pull and choke herself on most collars. In saying that my youngest boy did do much better on the lead he was trained on, when I switched it to, IMO a kinder one, that he finally fitted into, he choked himself silly.

If people are saying try a different collar ask to borrow one and see how she goes before buying one.

For my puppies I use martingale leads, and or the slip leads that you already have. But i find one of the most useful tools for pups that pull too much and are a bit more 'spirited' is a thin check chain. I know it sounds cruel, but if you use it properly (check, release, check, release - not cheeeeeeeeeeck, cheeeeeeeck, cheeeeeeck) they soon learn they cannot pull on the lead without being corrected.

Martingales at least offer you the choice of a soft correction, but if your pup is headstrong, then the correction is likely to not be enough. If the pup is behaving properly, and listening to vocal corrections, a slip lead is fine, otherwise I find you don't have a whole lot of control. I find the best thing in situations where the pup is pulling all the time, or not listening to corrections is to use a fine check chain, but make sure you know how to use it properly, there are some great training tips on Youtube. Use the check until the pup is starting to respond to correction, and stop pulling, and then you can always put them back onto the martingale, and eventually slip collar as they grow older. Some will say that a check is too cruel, but after about 12 weeks of age, if you are using it correctly, it is not a choker, it is just a sharp 'check' to get the pup's attention on to you.

As for buying a martingale or a fine check chain before Saturday, I really can't help you. Most of the pet stores in my area DO NOT stock anything anywhere near suitable, and I believe the online ones would not arrive in time. Depending on the show, sometimes there are vendors at the grounds that sell leads so you might be able to get one right before you go into the ring. Most of the bigger show grounds always have stalls, where some of the small ones, have no one. But im not sure in Victoria.

I use check chains on my Schipperkes and sometimes on my Havanese (if they don't behave themselves). You can order a check chain online from

https://www.petcetera.com.au/index.php?l=product_detail&p=642

or if you are anywhere close to Vineyard you can go to their store and get one. Petcetera is Peter & Trish Cutler's show van that is at Erskine Park.