Alternative To A Labra- Whatsit

Nik

Not everyone dislikes the look of poodles because they are not considered "manly".

I know people get defensive of their breeds, but come on, we all have our preferences. Its a bit rough to come down on someone because they don't like a certain breed.

Do a straw poll of men and what they think of poodles Dee Lee - I'm not pulling this stuff out of thin air.

If you get more than 30% who fail to mention the words "girly" or "pouffy" in their description, then I'll eat my grooming table. :laugh:

Want me to lay you odds the OP's friend's husband has never met a well trained, well bred poodle??? :lollipop:

Edited by Haredown Whippets

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Googled the Australian Cobba Dog (yes they have found a name) and going on the health tests that they say they undertake the mind boggles - much longer than a piece of string.

Just get a standard poodle and give it a teddy bear clip - husband will never know :laugh:

Edited by frufru

I know this topic gets done to death, but I'm on my phone and I can't figure out the search function

My friend has contacted me today asking me of I know and labradoodle breeders. I've explained to her why they're a bad idea, and now she's asking for alternatives.

I asked her why the cross, and her reasons were because they're non shedding, are intelligent, seem to be a friendly "breed" and are the size (med to large) that she wants.

I have suggested a standard poodle but had received the usual response that her husband doesn't like them.

What alternatives can I give her? I've also suggested Lagotto and Portugese Water dog.

Help please. She's found a breeder in gippsland via google for a Lab x poodle pup already!

People think just because you cross with a poodle that they are low allergy and non shedding. This is often not the case A.Family friend has a rescued

Labradore x Standard poodle ,he sheds heaps of hair all over the house and when my daughter stayed there

while studying her asthma returned and she needed to use her puffer for the first time in a few years.

edited spelling.

Have a look at Airedales.

Edited by Purdie

Guest RosieFT

Maybe they want non shedding because after the white, pointy, needle like hairs of a fox terrier the grass sure looks greener! :)

Not everyone dislikes the look of poodles because they are not considered "manly".

I know people get defensive of their breeds, but come on, we all have our preferences. Its a bit rough to come down on someone because they don't like a certain breed.

Do a straw poll of men and what they think of poodles Dee Lee - I'm not pulling this stuff out of thin air.

If you get more than 30% who fail to mention the words "girly" or "pouffy" in their description, then I'll eat my grooming table. :laugh:

Want me to lay you odds the OP's friend's husband has never met a well trained, well bred poodle??? :lollipop:

Me too! I swear almost every man who brings in their partners dog tells me the poodle is a pouffy girly dog.

I know this topic gets done to death, but I'm on my phone and I can't figure out the search function

My friend has contacted me today asking me of I know and labradoodle breeders. I've explained to her why they're a bad idea, and now she's asking for alternatives.

I asked her why the cross, and her reasons were because they're non shedding, are intelligent, seem to be a friendly "breed" and are the size (med to large) that she wants.

I have suggested a standard poodle but had received the usual response that her husband doesn't like them.

What alternatives can I give her? I've also suggested Lagotto and Portugese Water dog.

Help please. She's found a breeder in gippsland via google for a Lab x poodle pup already!

People think just because you cross with a poodle that they are low allergy and non shedding. This is often not the case A.Family friend has a rescued

Labradore x Standard poodle ,he sheds heaps of hair all over the house and when my daughter stayed there

while studying her asthma returned and she needed to use her puffer for the first time in a few years.

edited spelling.

Have a look at Airedales.

Yes Purdie, I was thinking an Airedale might fit the bill too. :)

Theirs two "Labrawhatsits" (i love that) That hang over a balcony and bark and bark and bark everytime we walk past... would drive me absolutely nuts, they are sandy coloured and have the biggest scruffiest coats out.

I say yeah go with a Standard poodle... and just let the hair grow! Noone says they have to have totally shaved feet and face, they can just have their eyes tidied and under their pads done like a spaniel. I swear so many people believe their hair "Grows" looking like a "Poodley" cut... not that they have to be MADE look that way!

Least with the Poodle you KNOW its not going to shed, you KNOW they will be smart, you KNOW what the temperament will be like. You should KNOW the health history of the pup of course depends on the breeder. Im sure there are plenty of Standard and Mini Poodle breeders out there who would rather get their breed out there to someone and restore this weird tarnished image the "Öodle" has created of the "Poodle" then have yet another misinformed person running around with another mixeruper thats surposedly "Better" then the dogs it was made from.

Good Luck with your convincing!

Heck if I can Convince my macho Russian husband that I want a Red Standard poodle - im sure your friend can win lol!

Alternatives.

Lagotto Romagnolo or Portuguese water dog.

Everyone will think you have a labradoodle but you will be smug in the knowledge you have something much smarter.

Curly coat retriever - might also suit. That's if you want a bigger dog. Ie poodles come in several different sizes.

This link has a good list of purebred alternatives to poodle cross.

http://pantonepoodles.com/doodles.htm

wasn't obedience competition invented to show off how smart poodles are? I think that's what scares some men - they don't want dogs or women around that make them feel stoopid. My dog does this to me every day, I think I'm getting used to it.

edit to fix dog breed name

Edited by Mrs Rusty Bucket

Some people that work with a friend of mine had decided on a labradoodle, my friend who knows a bit more about them than I do advised them to do some research, they found enough info to make them change their mind very quickly. She made a few suggestions based on what they wanted from a dog which was mainly a friendly, smart medium size dog. They chose a Brittany and they now have their dog, and think it was the perfect breed for them, so maybe that is worth suggesting, they do shed but not as badly as some breeds so depends on priorities,

Edited by helen

Irish Water Spaniel is a good alternative. They are a spaniel and should be a friendly, outgoing breed.

Ask your friend if they are aware that all the non-shedding breeds need regular grooming/clipping a cost that they wouldn't have to incur with some of the shorter coated breeds.

I agree with many - let a poodle coat grow out a bit and I bet many would mistake them for an oodle with a REALLY good coat LOL. get friend to show husband some regular clipped poodles and he may just change his mind.

Googled the Australian Cobba Dog (yes they have found a name) and going on the health tests that they say they undertake the mind boggles - much longer than a piece of string.

Just get a standard poodle and give it a teddy bear clip - husband will never know :laugh:

Yep just get a standard poodle without the pouffy girly clip.

Hope they realise all the grooming they are in for. I would loveeeee a standard poodle but cannot commit to that grooming just yet :( but thats just me :o

I put as my status on Facebook today this very topic and "tagged" her into it. She's been following the discussion with interest. She doesn't want the pup right now- she actually wanted to find out all about them and if another dog suited first, so cudos to her there!

I'm thinking that the Lagotto could suit her. She works part time and is a really generous soul. No young children, but I guess the appeal of a low to non shedder was winning after having a fox terrier! She loves my girl (an Aussie) but thinks the coat is too much for her. Hopefully we have her convinced to go pedigree.

Standard poodles are a lot of dog and require a lot of grooming. I wouldn't suggest it as a labra*** replacement. Most Lagotto's I've met have been fearful/fear aggressive. Tehy are also very hard to come by. Personally, I'd ask them to put aside the shedding requirement for a minute or two and discuss what they want in a dog.

* how devoted to their owner?

* how smart (remembering that, unless you want to have a sports dog, smart can be a PIA)

* how much exercise?

* how friendly to strangers?

Most people say non-shedding is a requirement, but they just don't want a dog that sheds like a pug.

IMO I think some of the appeal of the "whatsioodles" is their shagginess. Shaggy dogs appeal to a lot of people more than a frou-frou poodle, so I do wonder if this is some of the appeal with the crosses. Most of us buy with our eyes first. A standard poodle is a big dog, and might just be too big for some people, although I've seen quite a few big whatsioodles.

Unfortunately Joe Public when looking at a bouffant styled poodle doesn't always see a dog they can get down and dirty with, running in the park, swimming etc. Maybe it's time to get some pics of poodles in action out there, both frou-froued and shaggy.

There are some just as lovely to poodle alternatives as have been posted by others, they just are not always as well known. I've met an absolutely delightful Bedlington a few times, he loves to tug and get in with the other dogs!

I met a labra-watsi a while ago. Nice dog, very laid back and calm but not the sharpest tool in the shed (he was a rescue) but his owner said he had the opposite of what was expected and told with respect to coat. His coat was long pointy hairs interspaced with fine fluffy hairs. He not only shed the little pointy ones but the whispy ones matted quickly and had to be cut out. If they did shed they blew all over the house. Too whispy for brushing. So they kept the whole dog clipped short.

I also have a friend with a standard poodle. It was the only breed they worked out that fitted their life style. But husband hated the look of a poofy poodle. Easy - they clip him off every few weeks. Everything. They had trouble finding a groomer as all wanted to save his ears so they bought a pair of clippers and do it themselves. Great dog, great nerves, good guard dog but never really threatened anyone but big enough to make non-dog people wary, smart, calm, easy to live with, dog friendly.