Nik

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

sorry to hijack......

I also have a workmate who is looking for an "oodle" for their family....

Am trying to convince them otherwise.

Anyone have an alternative to a shetland sheepdog? In terms of character, size, temperament etc - it fits them absolutely perfectly. They don't like the coat though - they think it is too much work and would be an issue with child in the family with allergies. I personally think a sheltie coat isn't hard to manage at all and doesn't take that much work. It seems to repel dirt and water and my girl only sheds after her season. So - a shetland sheepdog with a non-shedding, shorter coat.

Any suggestions...

sorry to hijack emgem.... hope you don't mind.

If they're a little flexible on size, a Collie Smooth? Or otherwise, bigger but not taller - a Cardigan Corgi?

efs

A Smooth Collie or Corgi will shed a LOT more than a Sheltie. They just don't need as much brushing to avoid tangles. Give me a long coat over a short, dense double coat any day as far as shedding goes.

The only non shedders are the curly coats like the Poodle, Lagotto, Portie or Bichon or some of the terriers like Bedlingtons or Westies. Then there is always the Xolos.

sorry to hijack......

I also have a workmate who is looking for an "oodle" for their family....

Am trying to convince them otherwise.

Anyone have an alternative to a shetland sheepdog? In terms of character, size, temperament etc - it fits them absolutely perfectly. They don't like the coat though - they think it is too much work and would be an issue with child in the family with allergies. I personally think a sheltie coat isn't hard to manage at all and doesn't take that much work. It seems to repel dirt and water and my girl only sheds after her season. So - a shetland sheepdog with a non-shedding, shorter coat.

Any suggestions...

sorry to hijack emgem.... hope you don't mind.

Hey jr_inoz - just thought I'd stick my head in here and suggest that they do some investigating around what exactly causes the allergies for their child. As other posters have mentioned, it's different for everyone. I've been allergic to everything except poodles since .. forever; was hospitalised with asthma for the first time at 18 months old, and have been unable to tolerate any animals since then. Hence having had poodles my whole life.

I've had SO many people tell me that I'd be fine with Bichon Frises, Wheatens, Japanese Spitz, Greyhounds.. you name it. Anything that someone has heard is low shedding or hypo-allergenic, has been suggested to me. I just want to stress that it's a completely individual thing; if I or my family had trusted peoples' advice and suggestions we would've been in a horrible situation of re-homing or something. We thought that poodle crosses would be ok too, and some are (eg my poodle x Mimi) but some aren't (eg mum's poodle x maltese) - I know I'm preaching to the choir here about the risks of oodles and coat type. But just make sure that these people get their kid to spend some time with various breeds to work out whether they'll really be ok with the breeds they're considering :)

I have a friend with some allergies - he is fine with both my sheltie, and the one that stayed with me. His allergies play up big time around my friend's pedigree standard poodle. Go figure. I've tried explaining this to the family concerned.

Hard to convince them.

smooth coat Sheltie alternative = Italian Greyhound.

Or possibly Chinese Crested Hairless, although they need a surprising amount of grooming, more along the lines of skin care.

Iggy makes sense - one of the sheltie breeders here also has Italian greyhounds. Love these little dogs.

Edited by jr_inoz

Ah sh**. :(

Just ran into a mum at school who made the silly emotional purchase of a 5month old cross from a pet store on the weekend (previous owners going o/s- yeah right... It's not toilet or obedience trained. :mad )

They have 2 small kids & have never owned a dog... Unsurprisingly feeling a tad overwhelmed by their new (entire) dog. :cry:

I didn't have the heart to lecture, too late after the kids have fallen in love.

Luckily they are keen to learn & train him & listen to advice. :thumbsup:

I've offered lots of help (which they are gratefully receiving) & have asked for some advice in the Sharpei thread, but if anyone has some suggestions I can pass on I'd be glad to receive them. :)

Meantime, how's that legislation to stop Pet shops selling live animals going?

I am furious that these poor people who knew no better were taken advantage of like this!!!! It's just wrong. :mad

Ah sh**. :(

Just ran into a mum at school who made the silly emotional purchase of a 5month old cross from a pet store on the weekend (previous owners going o/s- yeah right... It's not toilet or obedience trained. :mad )

They have 2 small kids & have never owned a dog... Unsurprisingly feeling a tad overwhelmed by their new (entire) dog. :cry:

I didn't have the heart to lecture, too late after the kids have fallen in love.

Luckily they are keen to learn & train him & listen to advice. :thumbsup:

I've offered lots of help (which they are gratefully receiving) & have asked for some advice in the Sharpei thread, but if anyone has some suggestions I can pass on I'd be glad to receive them. :)

Meantime, how's that legislation to stop Pet shops selling live animals going?

I am furious that these poor people who knew no better were taken advantage of like this!!!! It's just wrong. :mad

I wish there was at least a Law as to how long / what age Pet Shops can keep animals.I have seen ''Pups'' as old as 7 months that have spent weeks behind glass;missing out on good social development.One store near me has 2 large breeds that have been there for weeks.They are still advertiseing them using a picture of when they were

much smaller.They are in need of a clip and a bath.Thet look like grubby sheep.They are still asking over $800 dollars for them.

I don't think the ignorance thing really holds up. People can't be legislated into having common sense. There needs to be a bit more self responsibility when people are making decisions and choices that affect them and their families.

Edited by Alyosha

People who have allergies to dogs still have allergies to non shedding dogs - in fact some actually suffer more.

That's because allergies to dogs isn't anything to do with their coat. The fur is too long to be inhaled. Allergies to dogs are about the saliva which dries and can be in the air and especially the dander which is the skin flakes all dogs regardless of breed shed. Dogs which have to be groomed more often because they have to be brushed due to a non shedding coat actually have a risk more dander floating around the house as the brushing and grooming stirs it up and makes it mobile rather than staying on the dog which can easily be inhaled.

By the way many of these breeders are registered with AAPDB and registered with council as a domestic animal breeding facility - they are not supposed to be members of and registered with the ANKC - Vic dogs - but some are. Best to avoid anyone breeding first cross anything to be sure.

This has not been my experience.

I suffer from dog allergies. Smooth coated dogs are not good for me. Shedding medium coats also no good. I got an Italian greyhound many years ago and had to rehome her.

I have since had a bichon (perfect), poodle x (also very good - we got her as an adult so knew she had the poodle coat) and now a standard poodle (also great).

I will only react a bit if they lick me, or while actually grooming them. But I would be sick all the time with other dogs.

This is a common experience among allergy sufferers, and one of the reasons poodles are so popular with many asthmatics.

Everyone's allergy is different though. Always spend time with the breed first to be sure. And make sure they haven't had a bath for a few days prior - otherwise the effect may not be evident that day.

Edited by Zug Zug

Standard schnauzers are nit for the faint hearted. They are stubborn with intelligence. They are nothing like a lab or poodle at all. Not aimed at anyone but I can't believe people are still suggesting breeds based on looks.

Standard schnauzers are nit for the faint hearted. They are stubborn with intelligence. They are nothing like a lab or poodle at all. Not aimed at anyone but I can't believe people are still suggesting breeds based on looks.

Yeah schnauzers are NOT easy dogs at all.

Whether you like it or not, people choose dogs on how they feel about them. Part of that is being attracted to a particular look.

I asked her why the cross, and her reasons were because they're non shedding, are intelligent, seem to be a friendly "breed" and are the size (med to large) that she wants.

Non Shedding - All breeds shed, no matter what breed they are, even poodles shed.Most Labrawhatsits come in matted cause the owner has been told by the breeder they dont she and are low maintainence. They need to be groomed (Bathed and clipped) atleast every 4-6wks depending on their coat and at roughly $65+ most of them stink!!! and for those with the breed THERE IS NO BREED SPECIFIC CLIP!!!!

Intelligence - you have a mix of temperments some are intelligent, some are as hyperactive and over-exuberant (I dont call this intelligent) like labradors. Some of these breeds can be quite narky or very skitish.

Even they do buy one, chances are it will shed, matt, and in some case they have a poodle like coat, so the husband can be quite at home with his poncy half breed. or you could have the one that dropd coat like mad and looks like a some wirey, sraggy mutt that looks like it crawlled of the street.

To me I'ld rather buy something that has been bred to look like it suppose too, I give up on suggesting breeds to people as most will impulsivly buy something from the paper or in a petshop, these people would be rather suited to buying a Pet ROCK!! they dont shed, low maintaince and no matter how much you feed them they get obese.

so many times I wish when the Oodle things come into work I could just #7F them all over cause they are matted from negelect.. :(

Generally soft or clueless owners will get walked over by any schnauzer - mini, standard or giant.

Generally soft or clueless owners will get walked over by any schnauzer - mini, standard or giant.

I have heard many times that the standards are the most stubborn/require the strongest leadership. Everything I've seen seems to point to this. Most minis I know like to please their owners, the standards couldn't care less :).

Sheridan - yes I know this. I like the terriorist look myself. However, it is frustrating that people seem to fixate on looks over everything else and people suggest breeds that don't fit the temperament requirements at all.

I have heard many times that the standards are the most stubborn/require the strongest leadership. Everything I've seen seems to point to this. Most minis I know like to please their owners, the standards couldn't care less :).

Sheridan - yes I know this. I like the terriorist look myself. However, it is frustrating that people seem to fixate on looks over everything else and people suggest breeds that don't fit the temperament requirements at all.

I agree the standards are the most difficult to work with, I spend quite a bit of time with all 3 sizes, giants are difficult too, but I think they do want to please a bit more than standards which are such obnoxious a-holes LOL (love them really...)