Australian Pure Bred Dog Forums - Dogz Online: Alternative To A Labra- Whatsit - Australian Pure Bred Dog Forums - Dogz Online

• 8 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Old topic!
This topic has had no activity for over 365 days. Due to that, you will not be able to reply. Please create a new topic!

Alternative To A Labra- Whatsit Trying to help sway a friend

#16 User is offline   persephone 

• Shutter-click Addict
  • State:SA

Posted 27 April 2012 - 03:23 PM

maybe give the hubby the following links?

link

link

link'

link (unclipped standard poodle pic )

I don't find show clips/bows attractive , but adore the scruffy ringletted wet & tired poodle look , and just love seeing poodles in the swamp or grass or dust :) . (doesn't happen very often tho :( )

they are amazingly smart, .... !

This post has been edited by persephone: 27 April 2012 - 03:23 PM

#17 User is offline   Red Fox 

• Forum Regular

Posted 27 April 2012 - 03:48 PM

View PostNik, on 27 April 2012 - 02:23 PM, said:

...her reasons were because they're non shedding, are intelligent, seem to be a friendly "breed" and are the size (med to large) that she wants.

And plenty are HUGE, shedding, stupid, hyper or aggressive.... but anyhow....

An F1 cross is no guarantee of any of the things she wants. The chances of the pups inheriting all of the most 'desirable' traits from both parents are slim to none.

#18 User is offline   Alkhe 

• Forum Regular
  • State:VIC

Posted 27 April 2012 - 03:50 PM

Aside from not all of them being non-shedding, some have terrible coats, too.

The other thing you could suggest is to find a "better" labradoodle breeder. I believe that there are some breeders and kennels that do health test their labradoodles and have started to develop a standard of sorts.

I'm not advocating labradoodles (I'm a poodle owner!) but if it looks like they're deadset on the idea, they could at least minimise the risks they're setting themselves up for.

ETA - and why do poodles always get such a bad rap! God it's annoying.
I have so many small oodle owners coming up to me telling me how gorgeous my dog is and how they wished their dog was Maggie's size. WELL WHY DIDN'T YOU GET A TOY POODLE. Sigh. And standard poodles - people think they're "prissy". What does that even MEAN. URGH. :cry: :mad Rant over.

This post has been edited by Alkhe: 27 April 2012 - 03:52 PM

#19 User is offline   dee lee 

• !

Posted 27 April 2012 - 03:56 PM

Not everyone dislikes the look of poodles because they are not considered "manly".

I know people get defensive of their breeds, but come on, we all have our preferences. Its a bit rough to come down on someone because they don't like a certain breed.

#20 User is offline   Missymoo 

• Forum Regular

Posted 27 April 2012 - 03:58 PM

What about a cairn? (A big dog in a small body) dosnt drop hair around the place either!!

#21 User is offline   Haredown Whippets 

• The DOLer formally known as Poodlefan
  • State:ACT

Posted 27 April 2012 - 03:59 PM

View Postdee lee, on 27 April 2012 - 03:56 PM, said:

Not everyone dislikes the look of poodles because they are not considered "manly".

I know people get defensive of their breeds, but come on, we all have our preferences. Its a bit rough to come down on someone because they don't like a certain breed.

Do a straw poll of men and what they think of poodles Dee Lee - I'm not pulling this stuff out of thin air.

If you get more than 30% who fail to mention the words "girly" or "pouffy" in their description, then I'll eat my grooming table. :laugh:

Want me to lay you odds the OP's friend's husband has never met a well trained, well bred poodle??? :lollipop:

This post has been edited by Haredown Whippets: 27 April 2012 - 04:02 PM

#22 User is offline   frufru 

• Forum Regular
  • State:NSW

Posted 27 April 2012 - 04:06 PM

Googled the Australian Cobba Dog (yes they have found a name) and going on the health tests that they say they undertake the mind boggles - much longer than a piece of string.

Just get a standard poodle and give it a teddy bear clip - husband will never know :laugh:

This post has been edited by frufru: 27 April 2012 - 04:07 PM

#23 User is offline   Purdie 

• Forum Regular

Posted 27 April 2012 - 04:07 PM

I know this topic gets done to death, but I'm on my phone and I can't figure out the search function

My friend has contacted me today asking me of I know and labradoodle breeders. I've explained to her why they're a bad idea, and now she's asking for alternatives.

I asked her why the cross, and her reasons were because they're non shedding, are intelligent, seem to be a friendly "breed" and are the size (med to large) that she wants.

I have suggested a standard poodle but had received the usual response that her husband doesn't like them.

What alternatives can I give her? I've also suggested Lagotto and Portugese Water dog.

Help please. She's found a breeder in gippsland via google for a Lab x poodle pup already!

People think just because you cross with a poodle that they are low allergy and non shedding. This is often not the case A.Family friend has a rescued
Labradore x Standard poodle ,he sheds heaps of hair all over the house and when my daughter stayed there
while studying her asthma returned and she needed to use her puffer for the first time in a few years.

edited spelling.

Have a look at Airedales.

This post has been edited by Purdie: 27 April 2012 - 04:09 PM

#24 User is offline   RosieFT 

• Forum Regular
  • State:WA

Posted 27 April 2012 - 04:09 PM

Maybe they want non shedding because after the white, pointy, needle like hairs of a fox terrier the grass sure looks greener! :)

#25 User is offline   Everythings Shiny 

• AKA "Boots"
  • State:NSW

Posted 27 April 2012 - 04:11 PM

View PostHaredown Whippets, on 27 April 2012 - 03:59 PM, said:

View Postdee lee, on 27 April 2012 - 03:56 PM, said:

Do a straw poll of men and what they think of poodles Dee Lee - I'm not pulling this stuff out of thin air.

If you get more than 30% who fail to mention the words "girly" or "pouffy" in their description, then I'll eat my grooming table. :laugh:

Want me to lay you odds the OP's friend's husband has never met a well trained, well bred poodle??? :lollipop:

Me too! I swear almost every man who brings in their partners dog tells me the poodle is a pouffy girly dog.

#26 User is offline   trinabean 

• Forum Regular

Posted 27 April 2012 - 04:12 PM

View PostPurdie, on 27 April 2012 - 04:07 PM, said:

I know this topic gets done to death, but I'm on my phone and I can't figure out the search function

My friend has contacted me today asking me of I know and labradoodle breeders. I've explained to her why they're a bad idea, and now she's asking for alternatives.

I asked her why the cross, and her reasons were because they're non shedding, are intelligent, seem to be a friendly "breed" and are the size (med to large) that she wants.

I have suggested a standard poodle but had received the usual response that her husband doesn't like them.

What alternatives can I give her? I've also suggested Lagotto and Portugese Water dog.

Help please. She's found a breeder in gippsland via google for a Lab x poodle pup already!

People think just because you cross with a poodle that they are low allergy and non shedding. This is often not the case A.Family friend has a rescued
Labradore x Standard poodle ,he sheds heaps of hair all over the house and when my daughter stayed there
while studying her asthma returned and she needed to use her puffer for the first time in a few years.

edited spelling.

Have a look at Airedales.

Yes Purdie, I was thinking an Airedale might fit the bill too. :)

#27 User is offline   Maxiewolf 

• Owned By a Dobe
  • State:QLD

Posted 27 April 2012 - 04:27 PM

Theirs two "Labrawhatsits" (i love that) That hang over a balcony and bark and bark and bark everytime we walk past... would drive me absolutely nuts, they are sandy coloured and have the biggest scruffiest coats out.

I say yeah go with a Standard poodle... and just let the hair grow! Noone says they have to have totally shaved feet and face, they can just have their eyes tidied and under their pads done like a spaniel. I swear so many people believe their hair "Grows" looking like a "Poodley" cut... not that they have to be MADE look that way!

Least with the Poodle you KNOW its not going to shed, you KNOW they will be smart, you KNOW what the temperament will be like. You should KNOW the health history of the pup of course depends on the breeder. Im sure there are plenty of Standard and Mini Poodle breeders out there who would rather get their breed out there to someone and restore this weird tarnished image the "÷odle" has created of the "Poodle" then have yet another misinformed person running around with another mixeruper thats surposedly "Better" then the dogs it was made from.

Good Luck with your convincing!

Heck if I can Convince my macho Russian husband that I want a Red Standard poodle - im sure your friend can win lol!

#28 User is offline   Mrs Rusty Bucket 

• spinner

Posted 27 April 2012 - 04:34 PM

Alternatives.

Lagotto Romagnolo or Portuguese water dog.

Everyone will think you have a labradoodle but you will be smug in the knowledge you have something much smarter.

Curly coat retriever - might also suit. That's if you want a bigger dog. Ie poodles come in several different sizes.

This link has a good list of purebred alternatives to poodle cross.

http://pantonepoodles.com/doodles.htm

wasn't obedience competition invented to show off how smart poodles are? I think that's what scares some men - they don't want dogs or women around that make them feel stoopid. My dog does this to me every day, I think I'm getting used to it.

edit to fix dog breed name

This post has been edited by Mrs Rusty Bucket: 27 April 2012 - 04:35 PM

#29 User is offline   helen 

• Breeder / Exhibitor / Agility / Obedience

Posted 27 April 2012 - 04:53 PM

Some people that work with a friend of mine had decided on a labradoodle, my friend who knows a bit more about them than I do advised them to do some research, they found enough info to make them change their mind very quickly. She made a few suggestions based on what they wanted from a dog which was mainly a friendly, smart medium size dog. They chose a Brittany and they now have their dog, and think it was the perfect breed for them, so maybe that is worth suggesting, they do shed but not as badly as some breeds so depends on priorities,

This post has been edited by helen: 27 April 2012 - 04:56 PM

#30 User is offline   SparkyTansy 

• Forum Regular

Posted 27 April 2012 - 04:56 PM

Irish Water Spaniel is a good alternative. They are a spaniel and should be a friendly, outgoing breed.

Ask your friend if they are aware that all the non-shedding breeds need regular grooming/clipping a cost that they wouldn't have to incur with some of the shorter coated breeds.
I agree with many - let a poodle coat grow out a bit and I bet many would mistake them for an oodle with a REALLY good coat LOL. get friend to show husband some regular clipped poodles and he may just change his mind.

Share this topic:

Old topic!
This topic has had no activity for over 365 days. Due to that, you will not be able to reply. Please create a new topic!

• 8 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy | Web Site Terms and Conditions