Most And Least Favourite Breed.

Blackdogs

What is your favourite breed and why?

What is your least favourite breed and why?

I was pondering this today and was having difficulty selecting a least favourite because there are generally things I like about all breeds. So I chose to interpret the question as 'which breed suits me least'. You can interpret it any way you like!

My favourite (this is partially though, because I've not owned some of the other breeds I admire) is the Kelpie. Good looking (in my opinions), agile, driven, easy-care coat, intelligent, biddable, versatile with few inherited diseases. Kelpies suit me best.

My least favourite the Afghan Hound. Although they might be intelligent they are not terribly biddable. Their high grooming needs really turn me off, I'm a very lazy groomer. High prey drive. Although this can be a good thing when it comes to training, training is not something I would be doing with an Afghan, I'd find it too frustrating. I do like their personalities though, I've met some that I really loved. They're also extremely beautiful!

Your turn. :)

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Once apon a time I would have had an answer but nowadays it's more like "Breeds I would probably never own but still admire and Breeds I would love to own." :)

Which is pretty much what I said above. What are they?

I can think of lots of breeds that I wouldn't like to own, and they're mainly because I put them in the 'too hard' basket. I wouldn't want a Beagle or anything with working lines, and I'm generally not that into terriers. But I'm sure that I would (at least attempt to) rise to the challenge if for whatever reason I ended up with any of those. The only individual dogs I've met that I haven't really liked are Cairn Terriers and this annoying purported JRT x Fox Terrier I know, which I'm sure is a kelpie x.

I also have this irrational thing about Bull Terriers, which stems from my grandma (who in all other ways is my dog hero) telling me that they’re mean, beady eyed aggressive horrible dogs. And that stemmed from her own bad experience/s with a BT earlier in her life. I know it's stupid but I just get this fearful tinge whenever I see them. So so stupid, I know - just one of those things. I'm also scared of dead birds, so.. yep. :laugh:

if you want it to be what suits you best and least, maybe you should change the name of the thread?

Dogs that suit me most in different ways - English Setter - friendly, gentle, calm. Weimaraner because they are active, loving and while a lot of dog I feel they suit me.

Dogs breeds that suit me least I'd say would be the terriers - too much dog for me I'd say, for most of them, although i admire many of the terrier breeds for looks.

Edited by SparkyTansy

Most favourite has gotta be the Doberman - beautiful to look at... sleek, shiny, lean, athletic, muscular, beautiful heads, eyes that see into your soul... awesome personality... velcro cuddley lovebugs, intelligent, fun to train, interesting mix of soft/hard... easy care coat!

Least favourite... pekingnese... awful to look at, too much grooming, makes silly noises, don't move very well... I don't look at it and go wow, I look at it and go man that makes me feel depressed.

My terrier x border collie is pretty bloody perfect though, best of both parents :D I like high drive, sleek, athletic, enjoys work, versatile, needs lots of exercise sort of dogs... something lazy wouldn't suit me

Edited by DiscoDobe

I can imagine I'd be a dreadful malinois owner :laugh:

I am most suited to dogs who need low to medium stimulation (that is mental and physical) rather than high stimulation. And I don't like barking.

So I am very drawn to most of the giant breeds as most of them are fairly lazy and quiet. I don't have any problem with stubborness (or what is considered stubborness really).

I love dogs like GSPs and Vizslas, but they are waayyy too cracker for me!

So all the very energetic, need a job, and prone to be noisy breeds are not for me.

I would be very good with sighthounds if I posessed a suitable place for them to run (which sadly I don't :()

Favourite.....

Today it's Golden Retriever. Friendly, fun, biddable, people-orientated, beautiful... Last week it was German Shepherd (saw one in town and had to use all my strength to not go up and cuddle it's brains out because it might not appreciate that...). When I'm watching TV it's Yorkie or Chihuahua or Pap or Silky terrier or something with some spunk that I can cuddle... I love BCs too because I own one and don't want him feeling unloved :p Or a Cairns terrier! Such fun little guys!

Least favourite....

I don't like bull breeds. Bull dogs, Pitbull/AmStaff, Staffies, Bull Terriers, that kind of thing - probably just because every flipping thing in the pound is a staffy of some sort and I don't find them attractive at all.

I also don't like Jack Russels...they're just too bossy for me and unless they're trained well (and kept on top of! Like Shetlands - they're always testing you; everything is a test).

And that probably goes back to what suits me - I don't like dogs that I have to keep on top of constantly. Same with horses :p I like my cruisy QH who has a bit of bluff in him but he doesn't constantly test me. And I just don't feel any attraction to staffies or the like so that wouldn't suit me either :p

My favourite breeds are the Cavalier, the Tibetan Spaniel, the Bearded Collie, and the Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retrivier. I know a wide mix, but I love them all for differing reasons, although I don't own all of them.

My least favourites would be from the Terriers, but I love the way some of them look, they would suit me the least. Once upon a time I would of said a peke, but they have grown on me immensely. I love thier wobbled walk, and some of them have the most outrageous personalities.

This is turning more into a post from me, on dogs I love, because there's not many out there that don't have thier good points, and after all they are all dogs!

English Cocker Spaniels and Beagles are my favourite breeds. I love everything about them.

I'm not into terriers, bull breeds or tiny breeds. Terriers and little breeds annoy me (or maybe it's just the people I know who own them) and I don't like the look of bull breeds

My favorite is the labrador because of their loving natures and they are very social, plus they love to retrieve :)

+ 1 for labrador but I'm biased :D

Least? If I had to choose the breed to least likely own, It would be a cattle dog ( I know very unaustralian ) purely becuause every one I seem to meet has the crazy eye, you know, are they going to lick me or bite me? and its weird as it just seems to be cattle dogs?

Best breed is a Brittany, nothing else comes close really :) smart, super affectionate, good looking, active

Worst breed doesn't exist for me, some people have already listed breeds I love here so I think it is pretty irrelevant.

Best breed is a Brittany, nothing else comes close really :) smart, super affectionate, good looking, active

Worst breed doesn't exist for me, some people have already listed breeds I love here so I think it is pretty irrelevant.

Favourite breed for me is definitely kelpie (medium size, good looking, intelligent, quick learners, adaptable, loyal, faithful, good at problem solving, I could go on forever) but I do love most of the working breeds.

Least favourite for me are probably bull terriers & boxers.

Most Fave the list is long but to top it would be berenese, GSD, Rottie, Dobe, Goldie, Aussie, Irish setter ect.... all have very individual reasons and alot are very different in size and temperament but all are stunning dogs.

I have a dislike of small dogs except the beagal and chi hua hua (sp?)just something about those 2.

I don't like their believe they can take on a large breed, alot of the are socially arrogant. I know this isn't all dogs, but majority of the ones I've met. No offence intended.

To be perfectly honest, I'm a dog lover first and foremost.

I don't necessarily have "favourite" or "least favourite" breeds, although obviously there are breeds which I choose to live with now or have in the past for various reasons and not necessarily because they're favourites or have been relegated to non-favourite status.

I have met dogs from most breeds now and it's really a dog-by-dog situation. There are DOGS from some breeds that I really love, there are DOGS from some breeds that I really don't care for. But I don't think I could blanket wipe an entire breed, or alternatively elevate an entire breed to demi-doG status in a general sense.