Kids Tormenting Dogs Through The Fence

Staffyluv

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No padriac it is not the current situation - the meat in the backyard happened about 10 years ago now.. Nothing has happened since - which is why I said, we believe it was them but could never prove it.

They didn't have kids at the time and were complaining about barking dogs - thinking it was ours (it wasn't it was another neighbours dogs, but that is another story - it turned into a disagreement between him and my husband a long time ago and we have not had anything to do with them since)...

Until now when I took down the metal fence leaving the much lower and less private paling fence..

Honestly, I never see the parents...

There has been no issue since like that since that once off time, many years ago.

\

Can you put up hot tape on the fence, or run it a few feet from the fence so the dog won't go near it? I hate it when people (doesn't matter if kids or adults) try to come into my yard without asking, it's bloody rude, and thankfully I haven't had any cruddy neighbours for years. :laugh:

I wouldn't either but boys are a little different I believe :-) Also after reading what this family has done in the past my comment regarding talk to them may be wasted..

And I would have gotten a wooden spoon also across the back of the legs and i do recall this happening quite a few times :-)

Mumof4girls I did get what you were saying beleive me as a kid I knew what" if I do this then this will happen" it meant I'd have mum weilding the wooden spoon and I wouldn't sit down for a while.Of course I don't think you would let your children torment an animal I was just saying for ME as a child I wouldn't find this a fun thing to do.Erinonthefarm I am in no way an expert on children as I have none.My only experience is that I was one.

I don't see how tormenting animals is "normal child behaviour".It certainly wasn't on my list of fun things to do as a kid.

Me neither Stan's mum. And although my children are not angels by any means, neither of them would torment an animal. :(

But then, they have been raised to be interested in/ care about all creatures big and small.

I don't think they deliberately torment him to hurt him - I think it is more a case of he is there and they come to the fence so he gets excited and they respond by putting something through the fence and he grabs it..

I honestly don't think they mean to cause harm to him, they really are just being kids (kids who lose their toys to the boofhead next door type kids)...

Staffyluv

The children certainly may not be trying to hurt him but they are obviously trying to get a reaction. When they don't get the desired reaction from your guy, will they escalate their actions?

I'm sure the boys over our back fence weren't intending to hurt Arnie either - they just enjoyed stirring him up. It's the psychological damage that's been inflicted that's irrepairable. :mad

If the parents aren't approachable, I would be quickly confiscating the items that land in your yard and insisting the kids come to your front door to get them back or they won't.

Maybe put back the colourbond and if you're concerned about them getting cut cover raw edge with some plastic/rubber hosing. We bought cheap capping to put on ours from Pinus Sawmills.

Wishing now the turds got cut on our fence.

I don't see how tormenting animals is "normal child behaviour".It certainly wasn't on my list of fun things to do as a kid.

Me neither Stan's mum. And although my children are not angels by any means, neither of them would torment an animal. :(

But then, they have been raised to be interested in/ care about all creatures big and small.

I don't think they deliberately torment him to hurt him - I think it is more a case of he is there and they come to the fence so he gets excited and they respond by putting something through the fence and he grabs it..

I honestly don't think they mean to cause harm to him, they really are just being kids (kids who lose their toys to the boofhead next door type kids)...

Staffyluv

The children certainly may not be trying to hurt him but they are obviously trying to get a reaction. When they don't get the desired reaction from your guy, will they escalate their actions?

I'm sure the boys over our back fence weren't intending to hurt Arnie either - they just enjoyed stirring him up. It's the psychological damage that's been inflicted that's irrepairable. :mad

If the parents aren't approachable, I would be quickly confiscating the items that land in your yard and insisting the kids come to your front door to get them back or they won't.

Maybe put back the colourbond and if you're concerned about them getting cut cover raw edge with some plastic/rubber hosing. We bought cheap capping to put on ours from Pinus Sawmills.

Wishing now the turds got cut on our fence.

Lucky for us Ziggy isn't normally that interested in them but we are going to recover the paling fence with the bamboo reed stuff in a few weeks..

I have busted them heaps of times in the backyard and I tell them every time to come to the front door and ask for their stuff as I don't want them jumping into the backyard.. It falls on deaf ears, they continue to jump the fence... It has been going on for over 12 months...

I really can't be bothered with conflict by speaking with the parents... Maybe they have mellowed over the years but judging by the way they call the kids and the dog I doubt it...

So long as they cause no harm to Ziggy I don't really care anymore as I don't think they can really hurt themselves by jumping into the yard...

This is the first time that there seems to have been any real interaction between Ziggy and the kids.. I can limit his time in that section of yard to when I am with him, so I might do that until we get the bamboo screen for the fence...

On the upside at least he gets lots of toys to chew up, so it saves me a fortune in chew toys... :)

They aren't robots, you can teach small children things but it doesn't mean they always do as they are told!

No, neither are dogs. But dog owners are still held accountable for their dog's behaviour and expected to supervise them so that they don't annoy others, even if all they want to do is play.

It is the parents' responsibility to ensure that their children don't bother others. If the children can't be trusted to listen, the parents should supervise them or take steps to ensure that their kids are not in a position to annoy others.

Whoa! Take it easy - kids are kids and their parents may not know.

Personally I would have a casual chat to the parents and let them know what happened. They may be thinking this is harmless fun. If they know you are nervous about it, they may be willing to intervene with the kids.

And I think blocking the hole in the fence is also really important. You could let your neighbour know that you've done this to try and help prevent something going wrong in the future.

But keep the chat friendly and relaxed. So far no real harm has been done. And the kids sound like they are trying to play with the dog, not hurt the dog. So while their behaviour isn't ideal, it's been harmless so far and the trick is to keep the chat friendly while still communicating why you feel it needs to change.

Just my thoughts

I agree. :thumbsup: The kids need to be educated and their parents need to be told.

I have spoken to the kids dozens of times about jumping in my yard to get their toys - I took down a 6 foot iron fence so they wouldn't hurt themselves and just left the normal 1200 high paling fence - not sure what is worse, worrying about them cutting themselves on the iron fence trying to get over and back or tormenting the dog through the paling fence...

The parents are total toads - these are the ones from years ago that we believed put a piece of steak over the fence with what looked like green ratsak in it.. Lucky for us Ollie wouldn't eat anything raw, so he never ate it and Dan found it in the yard... We can't prove it so we just stayed away from them - mind you they didn't have any kids back then...

They also have a dog so I don't want any issues with them...

I guess Ziggy will just end up with more toys :thumbsup:

How scary, when I hear about this sort of thing I'm glad I don't have close neighbours.

They aren't robots, you can teach small children things but it doesn't mean they always do as they are told!

No, neither are dogs. But dog owners are still held accountable for their dog's behaviour and expected to supervise them so that they don't annoy others, even if all they want to do is play.

It is the parents' responsibility to ensure that their children don't bother others. If the children can't be trusted to listen, the parents should supervise them or take steps to ensure that their kids are not in a position to annoy others.

Most people don't supervise their dogs all the time so I don't consider that a valid comparison, and in this particular case the OP has confirmed the parents are not concerned with what their children do and may have tried to bait the dog, so very different to parents who understand the right of children to play, learn, explore, learn consequence and develop normally without being monitored constantly and also understand their responsibility for their childrens behaviour when they are exploring their world.

Edited by erinonthefarm

\

Can you put up hot tape on the fence, or run it a few feet from the fence so the dog won't go near it? I hate it when people (doesn't matter if kids or adults) try to come into my yard without asking, it's bloody rude, and thankfully I haven't had any cruddy neighbours for years. :laugh:

I'd be worried about being confrontational (by putting hot tape up where the kids can be zapped) if the people possibly tried to bait the dog. I'd be keeping my dogs inside when I'm not home.