Australian Pure Bred Dog Forums - Dogz Online: Vet Nurse Student Needing Help - Australian Pure Bred Dog Forums - Dogz Online

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Old topic!
This topic has had no activity for over 365 days. Due to that, you will not be able to reply. Please create a new topic!

Vet Nurse Student Needing Help

#16 User is offline   Kavik 

• Team Kelpie
  • State:NSW

Posted 27 May 2012 - 05:55 PM

http://www.kvh.com.au/pyometra.html

http://www.karingalv...-female-dog.asp

http://www.midlandve...p?catid=2&id=80

Those contain the answers for 1,2 and 3

This post has been edited by Kavik: 27 May 2012 - 06:03 PM

#17 User is offline   baifra 

• Forum Regular

Posted 27 May 2012 - 05:59 PM

Good luck Neon. I'm not a vet nurse so I can't help.

I'm sorry you got the reaction you did. Probably would have taken less time to answer some of your questions rather than respond in such a sarcastic and childish way.

#18 User is offline   neon 

• Forum Member
  • State:SA

Posted 27 May 2012 - 06:06 PM

Unfortunately the surgical name is Pyometra surgery so it doesnt section off the technical searches from your general jo blow searching because his bitch has it...if you know what I mean. Have been tempted to change my disease/surgery as I seem to be getting no further into the actual surgical procedures..specific.

I guess Im just getting frustrated. I have searched periodicals, medical papers, and everything relevent is not Australian. So frustrating to find exactly what I need to know and have to ignore it as its not from the right country

#19 User is offline   Staff'n'Toller 

• ~ Free Agent ~
  • State:VIC

Posted 27 May 2012 - 06:06 PM

Sorry neon, it's actually generally great around here so stick around hey. :)

I understand what it's like when you're a 'junior' in a Vet Clinic, often there's no-one with enough time to help and it can be a bit intimidating to ask. Particularly if you're only there part-time.

For some reason the curriculum is and has always been set out in a way that you need to know full sets of surgical instruments before you might have even been let loose in surgery. :laugh: Seems bizarre.

#20 User is offline   Kavik 

• Team Kelpie

Posted 27 May 2012 - 06:11 PM

View Postneon, on 27 May 2012 - 06:06 PM, said:

Unfortunately the surgical name is Pyometra surgery so it doesnt section off the technical searches from your general jo blow searching because his bitch has it...if you know what I mean. Have been tempted to change my disease/surgery as I seem to be getting no further into the actual surgical procedures..specific.

I guess Im just getting frustrated. I have searched periodicals, medical papers, and everything relevent is not Australian. So frustrating to find exactly what I need to know and have to ignore it as its not from the right country

Did you look at my links? All the information is in them apart from the role of the vet nurse :)

#21 User is offline   neon 

• Forum Member

Posted 27 May 2012 - 06:12 PM

View PostKavik, on 27 May 2012 - 05:55 PM, said:

Thank you for posting these but I already had 2 of these sourses. I cannot find any info on these pages on the type/name of the drug used for pre medication or anaesthesia? Or specific intrsuments... ag Allis heamostatic forceps, Olsen-Hegar needle drivers etc.

#22 User is offline   jrm88 

• Forum Regular

Posted 27 May 2012 - 06:13 PM

Neon I have sent you a private message with some of that info :)

#23 User is offline   Kavik 

• Team Kelpie

Posted 27 May 2012 - 06:13 PM

Did you look at the link for desexing? That link contains the information on specific instruments, premed and anaesthesia

#24 User is offline   neon 

• Forum Member

Posted 27 May 2012 - 06:18 PM

Yes I have, but the purpose of this assignment is that its not a routine surgery so we cant just take the info from a desexing pages....this is the frustrating part *sigh*

This is what makes the rearching part harder as there are so many limitations

#25 User is offline   Kavik 

• Team Kelpie

Posted 27 May 2012 - 06:19 PM

Since it is an emergency ovariohysterectemy I would think you can use sources that are about the spey surgery.

So you have to credit where you got your information from or can you just put the answers? How would people on here giving you just the answers help if you have to credit the information? Or would it be enough to say you got your answers on a forum?

This post has been edited by Kavik: 27 May 2012 - 06:22 PM

#26 User is offline   donatella 

• Forum Regular
  • State:QLD

Posted 27 May 2012 - 06:21 PM

When I studied human nursing everyone always went to family or friend RNs for advice with assignments, it's practically expected (nothing beats first hand info) so good on you for coming to a dog forum and linking with vet nurses. A friendly hand along the way is often the encouragement we need to get the best possible outcome.

Best of luck with your assessment :)

#27 User is offline   Staff'n'Toller 

• ~ Free Agent ~
  • State:VIC

Posted 27 May 2012 - 06:21 PM

View PostKavik, on 27 May 2012 - 06:13 PM, said:

Did you look at the link for desexing? That link contains the information on specific instruments, premed and anaesthesia

The marker will require actual drug brand names and dosages, when other drugs and given and what they are and the technical terms for the instruments. What are the names of the clamps used, what is the name and size of the suture materials. There's 20+ instruments in a regular surgical pack. You can't just write 'given a premed' for example - the assignment would be returned.

#28 User is offline   Jumabaar 

• Rehabilitation, Conditioning and Veterinary Care

Posted 27 May 2012 - 06:24 PM

View PostKavik, on 27 May 2012 - 06:19 PM, said:

Since it is an emergency ovariohysterectemy I would think you can use sources that are about the spey surgery

Pretty much. Search for safe quick anaesthetics and premed used on critical patients. Look at emergency nursing to see the general role of the nurse in an emergency situation, and use that to build up from the requirements of a normal spey.

My point about search terms was to think outside the box. So info on the different anaesthetics can be searched for and then you can make an assessment on what should be used ideally. There is no 'answer' to what anaesthetic/premed has to be used- an anaesthetist using the drugs they are most comfortable using is actually the safest choice regardless of the drug itself (In most situations).

#29 User is offline   Kavik 

• Team Kelpie

Posted 27 May 2012 - 06:25 PM

The site I gave said a sedative and pain relief as premed. With more searching (that took aout 5 mins) I could probably find one with specific info on that (I'm pretty sure when I did vet nursing that we had reference textbooks and workbooks that had info on premeds etc) or if you are actually working in a vet, you could ask about the premed.

#30 User is offline   neon 

• Forum Member

Posted 27 May 2012 - 06:28 PM

Using the Harvard referencing system I can credit people and conversations for information provided. Thats exactly why I asked for Vets/Vet nurses help. As general population wouldnt have a clue what isoflourine was, or a closed anaesthetic circuit, let alone thiopental or propofol!! Its not just a hand out assignment, its actually medical terminology as well.

So I guess people shouldnt assume that people are being lazy...

Share this topic:

Old topic!
This topic has had no activity for over 365 days. Due to that, you will not be able to reply. Please create a new topic!

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy | Web Site Terms and Conditions