Vet Nurse Student Needing Help

neon

Thank you for posting these but I already had 2 of these sourses. I cannot find any info on these pages on the type/name of the drug used for pre medication or anaesthesia? Or specific intrsuments... ag Allis heamostatic forceps, Olsen-Hegar needle drivers etc.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes I have, but the purpose of this assignment is that its not a routine surgery so we cant just take the info from a desexing pages....this is the frustrating part *sigh*

This is what makes the rearching part harder as there are so many limitations

Since it is an emergency ovariohysterectemy I would think you can use sources that are about the spey surgery.

So you have to credit where you got your information from or can you just put the answers? How would people on here giving you just the answers help if you have to credit the information? Or would it be enough to say you got your answers on a forum?

Edited by Kavik

Guest donatella

When I studied human nursing everyone always went to family or friend RNs for advice with assignments, it's practically expected (nothing beats first hand info) so good on you for coming to a dog forum and linking with vet nurses. A friendly hand along the way is often the encouragement we need to get the best possible outcome.

Best of luck with your assessment :)

Did you look at the link for desexing? That link contains the information on specific instruments, premed and anaesthesia

The marker will require actual drug brand names and dosages, when other drugs and given and what they are and the technical terms for the instruments. What are the names of the clamps used, what is the name and size of the suture materials. There's 20+ instruments in a regular surgical pack. You can't just write 'given a premed' for example - the assignment would be returned.

Since it is an emergency ovariohysterectemy I would think you can use sources that are about the spey surgery

Pretty much. Search for safe quick anaesthetics and premed used on critical patients. Look at emergency nursing to see the general role of the nurse in an emergency situation, and use that to build up from the requirements of a normal spey.

My point about search terms was to think outside the box. So info on the different anaesthetics can be searched for and then you can make an assessment on what should be used ideally. There is no 'answer' to what anaesthetic/premed has to be used- an anaesthetist using the drugs they are most comfortable using is actually the safest choice regardless of the drug itself (In most situations).

The site I gave said a sedative and pain relief as premed. With more searching (that took aout 5 mins) I could probably find one with specific info on that (I'm pretty sure when I did vet nursing that we had reference textbooks and workbooks that had info on premeds etc) or if you are actually working in a vet, you could ask about the premed.

Using the Harvard referencing system I can credit people and conversations for information provided. Thats exactly why I asked for Vets/Vet nurses help. As general population wouldnt have a clue what isoflourine was, or a closed anaesthetic circuit, let alone thiopental or propofol!! Its not just a hand out assignment, its actually medical terminology as well.

So I guess people shouldnt assume that people are being lazy...

The site I gave said a sedative and pain relief as premed. With more searching (that took aout 5 mins) I could probably find one with specific info on that (I'm pretty sure when I did vet nursing that we had reference textbooks and workbooks that had info on premeds etc) or if you are actually working in a vet, you could ask about the premed.

I dont currently work in a vet clinic. My text books are all UK

All vet clinics are different to preference over drugs. So I was just trying to get various answers to compare. I cant rely on 1 reference for my answers as it may be incorrect. One of my fellow students was researching to find a web page referring to a female dog as a "queen". You just have to be careful that you can back up your info.

yes Im sure th answers are out there. I have over 20 websites in my favourites to help me. but I wanted a different form of reference to add to my assignment. Hopefully to get specifics.

I have has a few people help me out with those specifics and I thank them very much :) With that info im sure I can compile everything I have, and finish my assignmnet

Using the Harvard referencing system I can credit people and conversations for information provided. Thats exactly why I asked for Vets/Vet nurses help. As general population wouldnt have a clue what isoflourine was, or a closed anaesthetic circuit, let alone thiopental or propofol!! Its not just a hand out assignment, its actually medical terminology as well.

So I guess people shouldnt assume that people are being lazy...

I don't think your being lazy- I just think you need to expand your way of thinking. Start by looking at the most general information- that you are doing an emergency surgery and find the info regarding drugs and your role. Then look at the specific surgery your doing- which should fill in the gaps of your information. Its much easier to try and fill in 10% of your assignment with specific info and 90% general than it so try and start specific.

Surgery has a number of basic parts that are pretty much the same for all procedures. Emergency surgeries all have something in common. Then you add in the information about surgical treatment of pyometra which does have specific information regarding it, but does have much in common with other surgeries. Dont get bogged down by the details until you have the general information.

i.e. what anaesthetics are available in Australia (countries have different regulations so I can understand why this needs to be Aussie info). Then which are used in emergency situations (you don't want one taking 30 minutes to kick in). THEN are there any specific considerations/complications to do with Pyo. Then I would go and instead of having to ask the vet which they would use- ask if the one you are thinking is appropriate for these reasons. If they say another drug ask why then do your own research.

Same with surgery. What are the typical surgical instruments then work toward the specific surgery.

Your going to be able to get many more references this way AND have a better understanding of the whys which will allow you to critically analyse what is necessary in other procedures too.

ETA- I find people much more likely to answer your questions if you phrase your question to show you have already done the research and just want to get another opinion.

Edited by Jumabaar

Bizarre that you have to use Australian only references, for my tafe course our textbook was from the UK. Did you get a coursework book from your course? A lot of questions that you ask are dealt in detail in the surgery and anaesthetic coursework units.

A hint for looking up what equipment is used - veterinary supply websites often list what is included in a spey kit :)

I can't answer for your clinic but my clinic would use alfaxan some would use propofol as induction, isoflurane gas to maintain but premed would be variable. Perhaps ACE and morphine or temgesic.

Pm me if you like :)

You are asking for quite specific information, and as somebody said, each vet clinic may do things slightly differently, so searching for the information might prove pointless since I can't imagine a vet clinic posting that type of info on their website. Have you tried http://scholar.google.com.au/ ?. I would suggest calling a vet clinic or going into your local clinic (or regular if you have one) and asking the questions. I would also think that to prove a more reliable reference than somebody on the internet.

Which TAFE are you at? if you don't mind me asking.

Edited by shmoo

[search for safe quick anaesthetics and premed used on critical patients. Look at emergency nursing to see the general role of the nurse in an emergency situation, and use that to build up from the requirements of a normal spey.

My point about search terms was to think outside the box. So info on the different anaesthetics can be searched for and then you can make an assessment on what should be used ideally. There is no 'answer' to what anaesthetic/premed has to be used- an anaesthetist using the drugs they are most comfortable using is actually the safest choice regardless of the drug itself (In most situations).

That is the most useful info! Better than my suggestions!

Thanks, I will try go back to basics.

People should use forums to share common interests and help people out. Some people just put themselves on forum pedestals.

But thank you for taking the time to answer me, as I understand you didnt have to. So hopefully now I can concentrate on my assignment :)

From a educators perspective I would give you a mark for creativity in trying to find answers, but the whole reason assignments are set is to encourage research to expand your knowledge of this very process, as well as to expose you to various topics that you will be exposed to in your career path,once you qualify you will find it necessary to continue to self educate and keep your information current, hence the reason for only using recent reference material. Theoretical based practice is very important no matter which field you are in, if you know the theroy behind the practice, or why we do something the way we do, then this will show clients and colleagues you are an informed practitioner.

Best place to actually get relevant references is at a University library, these libraries are open to the general public, just not for borrowing rights unless you purchase an associate library membership, which if you are a registered student at a TAFE you can obtain. As I am not sure where you are located I can't direct you to a specific library, but if the university teaches Vet science they will have the books and also lots of vet students who are in various stages of practice and these people will be very helpful.

also there is -> http://www.vnca.asn.au/displayboard.cfm They have state links and may be able to offer a library facility.

You may find this forum very helpful as well -> http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1506889

Good luck :)

Edited by zeebie