Smell Of Impending Death

Tara and Sam

Wasnt sure where to ask this , as didnt want to put in General in case freaked some new members out

Can a human smell the impending death of a dog ?

I know dogs can with humans

Tara has this odour for the last week or so

not a tooth problem odour

not a anal gland odour

its a odour I havent smelt before

she hasnt rolled in anything

it's unusual odour and hard to describe

she has turned 15 yrs this Febuary and health issues

When animals and people age there can be a change in body odour;this can be a normal part of ageing.If you are worried take you dog for a vet check up .

My MIL's dog is over 15 now and has health issues due to age that are being managed by the vet A few times over the last 2 years we thought she was in her last days but then she would bounce back..She is still happy and has her playful times.

All you can do with older dogs is have more regular check ups and see they are comfortable and enjoy the time you have with them.

Yes, most definitely. I have nursed people and animals in their last days. There is a distinctive odor caused by either/both kidney and liver failure. It's not unpleasant but distinctive. If you are concerned, see the vet.

Sorry, I'm in the wrong login but just quickly..

:kissbetter:

Firstly I'm so sorry T&S, it's hard when they age.

Your vet will want to know and may choose to do a blood panel to rule out kidney or liver issues, kidney failure dogs can have an odd smell but I can't describe it. It's not good.

Seniors can also have reflux or a problem digesting due to age and poor circulation to the digestive system. Trial a batch of home made 'baby food' (broth, chicken&veg, farex, quinoa etc) and try some natural yoghurt or protexin.

xxanna/SSR

Yes , we have the vet coming out tomorrow to talk and discuss any options

Tara has Dementia , blindess , deafness and back legs giving way on her

all mangable the locum vet said 2 weeks ago ( our regular vet was of sick they day I had the appointment )

that is why I bringing my regular vet out tomorrow

as mentioned I have noticed this odour for last week or so

no change of diet and she was given new meds last vet visit but that odour was there before the new meds

she has had more bad days than good ones , although last saturday she ran after my new addition to family and that surprised me

Tara doesnt look happy anymore :(

I have been told by the vets in last year that she isnt in pain

after posting I did speak to the vet to organise a visit and mentioned the odour and it was mentioned if her organs failing that can cause a odour :(

It's not unpleasant but distinctive.,

exactly ,

I cant describe it to any smell I have smelt before ,

her last urine sample 3 weeks ago was perfect , no protein which could indicate a problem

she has been having yoghurt and home cooked vegies and chicken etc

OH and I have just had a good talk and we both agree she doesnt have quality of life :(

I wil see what the vet says tomorrow but sadly we think it may be her time :cry:

PLus she is loosing weight quickly even though she is eatign well

Thanks for the replies

as I had a feeling maybe this odour was indicating what could be about to happen

Thanks Troy for letting me post here instead of General

Thinking of you today..

Last year I let my 19 year old JRT, who was my soul mate, take the journey.. Decision day was the hardest.. He knew and I knew and we cuddled for hours.. They know you care...

Nothing can take your your pain away but I hope my Spud is there to greet Tara and show her the way..

Hugs for you and your family.. :grouphug:

Thanks

it has been a VERY stressfull day

I talked to OH about it all yesterday and decisions were made

I didnt want toput her on more medication as most end up giving her the runs etc

it was a hard night last night and this morning

I was as prepared as could be for the PTS

OH I thought also was after our talk yesterday but when vet was here he asked for blood tests

I can understand that but vet is sure her kidneys are failing

hence the odour she has and her eating more , drinking more and loosing weight and pale gums

all lead to Kidneys

so the odour is from failing kindney organ

he thinks she could last anything up to maybe 6 months , but when vomiting starts then that is the final stage

and I wont put her through that

I have to be strong and make a decision for her before she suffers

she apparently isnt in pain and has given no indication of any

we are waiting for the blood test to come back tomorrow to know the full extent of what failure is going on and if also other organs are failing

but talking to the vet few minutes ago , he will fit us in for next week for her passing over

to go from a morning of thinking this is her last day to now having to wait for few more days is totally heartbreaking :(

Troy can you move to maybe aged care section Please as dotn want to take up more space for Dog Rescue

I'm sorry you're in this situation.

Last year when I had my Emma PTS she had developed a smell, I just didn't know it until she was gone - then I noticed the smell had gone. She was PTS due to renal failure. It was all very quick, she was happy as larry and then within the space of about 4 days stopped eating and then on the last morning threw up her food. And like you, there was no way I was going to let her be any more miserable (even though I probably could have kept her going for another couple of days had I wanted to), so made the heartbreaking decision - but knew it was the right one.

Enjoy every moment with your girl. :hug:

Thanks Troy :)

Yeah I have come to terms with making the right decision

although now upset it may be a few days to have her at peace

OH knew last nigth I didnt want another lot of meds to try and blood tests done

I have over the last year or so had and tried all meds that was recommended and that wasnt helping her at all :(

as the blood test they took wasnt nice :(

she squealed

apparently they needed to shave under her neck and take blood from there and it was awfull hearing her :(

( not happy with OH at moment ) lol

was bad enough day with out the extra distress :(

but as vet pointed out OH may now realise that she needs to be at peace before it gets too bad for her

he could see OH was struggling with putting her to sleep . geez who wasnt ?

keeps saying to myself Tara comes first .........

How did you go with the blood results?

Is Tara okay?

Sadly Tara was PTS today :cry:

the blood work didnt tell us much we didnt allready suspect

very high chance of Diabetese ?

liver and kidney were consistent of a dog her age

the eating more food and drinking and yet losseing weight was not good

we could have had a clinic visit for a day and regular blod taken to test the sugar , but I said No as she would have been terrified due to her blindness and deafness

so we chose the kindest option for her

she passed away peacfully in my arms at home

:cry: :cry:

I have posted in Raibow Bridge for her