Great Dane X, Life Expectancy

I was just curious as my girlfriend has a dane x mastiff, he's just over a year old. And as we will be living together soon and integrating him with my sibe, i was thinking that they would probably age similarly as she is about 5 and a half now.

As I am from the opposite size range of dogs (toys) i am curious why the bigger breeds such as Danes and mastiffs have such a shorter life expectancy than the smaller dogs?

Perhaps someone informed could educate me?

As most people are aware, larger breeds generally mature at the same time, or earlier than smaller breeds. This means, in order to attain full size the dog must grow at a much faster rate. This can be quite taxing on the body, as well as the general strain on the body, including skeletal and muscular systems to support the larger body. At least this is my understanding :S

I have also heard rumour, that larger dogs dont have an "equally larger" heart. And thus the heart tends to be working harder to support the blood flow, reducing the life expectancy.

Here is some supporting documentation:

http://www.iiasa.ac.at/Admin/PUB/Documents/IR-06-072.pdf

Edited by Flow Won Smai

Is it only me or does anyone else find your avatar a little disturbing?

Yes ,I also find the avatar disturbing.

I also find it disturbing & don't feel it is very appropriate for a family forum like Dol.

ETA: thanks for removing it, the new avatar is much better for this forum. :)

Edited by Baileys mum

Is it only me or does anyone else find your avatar a little disturbing?

Ha ha. But surely, it also accurately demonstrates the frustration you can often feel towards other members of the "internet" :p

Sometimes my 4 year old granddaughter wants to sit on my lap when i'm on the forum to look at dog and puppy pictures .I will have to check what avatars are on the screen

first from now on.