What Do You Put In Your Whelping Box

Jsk

Pretty simple question what do you put in your whelping box before the bitch has her puppies?

What do you have in the box while bitch is whelping?

What do you have in box once pups have arrived?

Before = a new piece of lino for the base with a piece of new carpet on top and some blankets

During= take out the blankets and replace with newspaper and towels

After = replace the carpet with a new piece if needed and then put specially made mats and either vet bed or large pieces of towelling, depending on what the bitch decides to do. Most of mine don't scratch up or bury their pups. I find that such behaviour after whelping indicates a lack of calcium.

Before - towel or other bedding and newspaper for the rest of the box

During - newspaper base with towel / blankets that can be replaced when dirty

After - I have a cardboard box with a blanket. I also have a board which i wrap the blanket around as both of the litters i have had the bitch always tries to bury the pups.

Before: old bedding they can shred and tear up.

During: newspaper and drybed, preferable white of light coloured so you can see what coloured discharges they have. The drybed is important during the whelping to keep the puppies dry and warm as the new ones are born.

After: Fresh newspaper and drybed.

what do you put in your whelping box before the bitch has her puppies?

- I take out the pig rails and lay down a cut of Vetbed to size. Then I put her normal bed in there which takes up 2/3 of the area.

What do you have in the box while bitch is whelping?

- I take out the bed, replace with fresh clean vet bedding and have a million towels on hand. I'll turn on the heated floor and the corner heat lamp at this stage.

What do you have in box once pups have arrived?

- I replace the vet bedding again, and change it every 24-72 hours.

Before...

I have Kylies down and her bedding on top.

During...

I use about 1 000 000 Kylies while she is whelping, plus newspapers, incase she misses the Kylies.

After...

Newspapers on the bottom, then vetbed covering the whole whelping box. When the pups are about 4 weeks, vetbed over about 2/3rds of the whelping box, and newspaper for them toileting...

My girls have a nice double bed mattress that has a waterproof/bug proof bag made by protector bed

then a brilliant mattress cover that is water proof and has a zip off top, fits like a sheet and is changed

mornning and evening. The bitches seem very happy with the arrangment.

Before and during is a layer of newspaper and a polar fleece blanket. I find it works quite nicely. Once finished, things are cleaned up and fresh polar fleece is put in. Day two is when I start using vet bed....reason is because the bitch is usually digging up for a day or two and the polar fleece I clamp in place to the sides of the box to prevent it from moving around and burying pups. Once she's over the digging, the vet bed goes in.

Before: Newspaper & drybed

During: Newspaper, Drybed & white towels (white towels I have 10 the size of the whelping box, about 8 normal size and 12 baby towels I use for each puppy & I use white so that I can see clearly the colour of the placenta / discharge etc - colour is noted on the whelping sheet for each puppy). Heated whelping box so that is turned on when they are nesting (low). I also have a hotbox set up for puppies incase there is an emergeny - heat pad on bottom, paper and drybed. Wet wipes Wet wipes Wet wipes :) - best thing to toilet puppies if mum is slow or occupied with next puppy coming, best thing to clean blood off drybed (our girls are so fussy about clean beds and hate it when they drip blood in their puppies vacinity lol).

After: Newspaper & drybed - normally two layers of drybed as I find our girls are up on their elbows alot to let puppies feed and two layers prevents worn elbows - so its paper in the centre of the box, rubberback drybed underneath to hold and greenback drybed on top.

Before: newspaper & towels

During: newspaper & towels

After: newspaper, drybed 2/3, heat pads 1/3 enclosed in a pillowcase that is sewn onto a bunny rug. The bunny rug covers the dry bed. I have a few of these on the go & change it 2-3 times a day. I set the box up like this so my puppies don't crawl under the bedding. It works for me.

Kerry :)

• 2 weeks later...

Before: Newspaper and Drybed

During: Newspaper and towels

After: Newspaper and Drybed

Exactly this :) ....I also set the whelping box up a couple of weeks before the puppies are due & put my bitches bed in it, to get her used to sleeping in the whelping box too. :)