Liver Shunts

That is wonderful. I wonder if because your dog is bigger that they could operate? I was told if they find an intraheptic shunt they will not operate. One because it is a difficult op but also because those shunts tend to regrow.

I rang the Surgeon yesterday and I am to take her down to Sydney Uni on the 13th to have the CT scan on Tuesday morning and if it is an external shunt she will be operated on that afternoon. The Dr wanted her to be stable and in tip top condition for about a month but it is just not happening. Yesterday was the first day for a week that she hasn't vomited. At the moment she is bright in herself and I am just hoping she stays that way for the next week. I am so happy I have had these positive replies. I felt as if we were the only ones going through this. Was it a long recovery for your dog? Do they expect the operation to have cured her/him?

The intrahepatic operation is possible although it is very risky and much more difficult than an extrahepatic shunt operation. It's also less likely to be successful because it's difficult to put a constrictor around the vessel so they usually only clamp it a little and hope that the reduced blood flow will help the shunt close further, if it doesn't a second op may be required to close it down fully.

Intrahepatic shunts are less common in the smaller dogs it depends on the type of shunt but unless there are multiple shunts it shouldn't regrow after it has been closed down, it's generally only if there are other abnormal areas in there that things get more complicated.

The recovery was very good it helped that he was under a year old that improves prognosis, he was on siezure watch for 3 days following the surgery (post op seizures are a very dangerous complication for this surgery) so I wasn't allowed to see him during that time but it was a very short recovery time he was bouncing around happy and healthy even with staples running from between his front legs to between his back legs. He was kept on the special diet for a couple of months after to prevent overworking his liver, he never showed any more symptoms after that. He had a blood biochemistry test done (same as the diagnosis bile acid test) after a few months and this came back perfectly normal no sign of liver dysfunction and he was put on a normal diet. He was 10 months old when he had the surgery and he's 6 years old now and he's been a perfectly dog ever since :)

I was lucky, there were no dangerous complications, the shunt appears to have caused no further problem and therefore hasn't required further surgery, I was lucky to have an excellent surgeon in the country (Geraldine Hunt) unfortunately she's not at University of Sydney anymore but I'm sure they have great vets there.

Thankyou for being so generous with your information. I feel confident with my surgeon he hasn't been here very long and came from the Bristol University where he was doing at least one shunt a week so is very experienced. He is going to monitor her when I get to Sydney and I am sure he won't operate if he has any doubts. When we saw him last time he had such a lovely manner and was so gentle with her.

Jules, I am listening to everyone and have taken your advice. Milly was vomiting every night but I am now feeding her more often but with much smaller meals. She is probably eating a bit less but she is no longer vomiting and I reckon she is better off.

• 2 weeks later...

Update on Milly.

Milly had her shunt operation today. She wasn't stabalising so they decided it was better sooner rather than later to operate. She had the CT scan with dye this morning and then went straight to surgery. She has a very large shunt and they don't know if they will be able to completely close it. She may have more surgery later. The Surgeon will ring me tomorrow and if she is okay she will come home on Thursday.

I want to thank all of you who posted it really made me feel more confident and feel encouraged to go for the surgery.

Hey again.

The surgeon just rang and Milly is doing well. She was eating yesterday after the surgery and has eaten this morning! He will ring again tomorrow to confirm when she can come home. Soooo Happy!!!

Even though the shunts were different it looks like Milly will have to have the 2nd operation like your dog did. The surgeon rang and said she will come off the pain relievers tonight, she's eating well - no more vomiting! Has to go back in a few weeks but he said it will be a couple of months before he can see how far it has closed. He has left a big stitch so he will know where to open her and it won't be a big operation the 2nd time. Home in the morning, I am so excited!

She's home! Ate breakfast in hospital and had lunch and dinner at home, Mr Hills food of course. Has to stay on Amoxil and Laculose until I take her back to Sydney in 2months time when she will have another CT scan to see how far the shunt has closed. She was so happy to be reunited with sister Poppy the Lhasa Apsos. I am the happiest of all. Sydney Uni is fantastic.

I am not stressed about a second op as it won't be so big, just to tighten it more and get it to close completely. Yes he said as the blood starts to go through the liver it will grow. It was heaven to have her back and last night she wouldn't sleep in her basket but snuggled into me just like a little baby!