Heart / Swimmer 4 Week Pup

Randaluca

Hi, I have a four week old pug pup who has been diagnosed with a heart murmur (at this stage). Originally they believed it to be a hole in the heart but after today's echo cardiogram/heart ultrasound the vet has indicated it is only a murmur. Now I have had pups with murmurs before so that's not the real issue for me atm. Jimi also is a "swimmer" pup. I've read the pinned thread and what I wanted to know is can I use some of the techniques - esp the pillow case - with a 4 week old pup who ALSO has a heart murmur? His breathing is quite labored and I'm worried he might have difficulty breathing but I really want to get his rib cage normal again.

If someone could give me a heads up on how to insert or attach a photo I can put one of him sleeping. I think I may have attached it but not sure if I've done it right LOL

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I love this little boy dearly and want to help all I can :)

Maranda

:thumbsup: Yes use the pillow case for sure, best to place him on his back in the p/Case and watch his breating to make sure he is doing ok, not stressed ....and only leave him for 10 mins at a time and build it up to 1/2 hour over the next 24 hours.

Good luck with your little man.....I am sure with all your added attention he will grow into one very special little man. :D

I can't help with the pic uploading stuff but I am sure someone will be along soon

Edited by Kadbury

Great! How long before I should be able to notice if it's working? A few days? His back legs are really skinny compared to his little front ones so I think I might try the underlay thing in the whelping box but he tends to really just sleep. What sort of physio do people use on their wee pups? He's so much smaller than the rest of the litter but thankfully he has taken to weaning like a champ! (mind you I'm hand feeding him which I know is a bad habit but I can't help it LOL)

Thanks so much for your help!I've tried the picture thing again but not sure if it's right!

post-46606-0-61690400-1345795222_thumb.jpg

Also making the Whelping box floor area sort of lumpy so they have to actually make an effort to move around and not just commando around the box

Making the floor lumpy should help with baby. Also I noticed in the photo that he was splaying his rear feet abit and that his feet were not at a good angle with his hindquarters.

Keep on tucking his back feet underneath him to turn his feet in so he gets up on these more often.

I have used the lumpy bottoms from fruit cartons and rolled up towels. It is mostly necessary to put the pup away from the dam, and make him work to get back. I think I would keep an eye on your little fellow.

Good luck with him.

Your puppy sounds like he is also flat chested which would account for the laboured breathing....you really need to perservere with the pillow case over the back of the chair...they do carry on because it makes their little back curve....you really must keep it up or he really wont survive. I have done the sock thing, the flower pot thing the toilet roll thing....but nothing works like the pillow case!!!

If you need to ring anyone please ring Billbo Baggins.....or write up in the swimmers thread.

I remember years ago , a singleton fat lab puppy ... I was advised to use a figure-of-eight soft "hobble" on her front legs for some hours each day . It was fiddly .. and she was not yet at walking age ..but it worked :) She was really bad , too.

You could also try warm water physio.... warm water .. hold puppy gently to support, and let those little legs work.

I would think he is sleeping/tired as his body is very short on oxygen /circulation, with his heart & lungs so constricted in that flat chest :(

Wishing you all the best in helping him survive.