Elevated Liver Enzyme Levels In An Old Dog

stellnme

Can anyone give me any information about a diagnoses of elevated liver enzyme levels which was revealed in a blood profile test in an old, small dog? I don't know the numbers but the vet said it was "significant" and has recommended an ultrasound. She mentioned cushings/liver disease as possible causes. The white blood count was low as well. We have booked in for an ultrasound, but the vet who does them is away for another week and a half. Has anyone been there with all this, and how worried should I be at this point - obviously I am worried! Anything I should/should not be doing?

Can anyone give me any information about a diagnoses of elevated liver enzyme levels which was revealed in a blood profile test in an old, small dog? I don't know the numbers but the vet said it was "significant" and has recommended an ultrasound. She mentioned cushings/liver disease as possible causes. The white blood count was low as well. We have booked in for an ultrasound, but the vet who does them is away for another week and a half. Has anyone been there with all this, and how worried should I be at this point - obviously I am worried! Anything I should/should not be doing?

Stellnme,

It depends on which liver enzymes are elevated compared to what is normal for your dog.

Sometimes it can indicate pancreatitis or an infection in or around the liver. Sometimes it is other things.

Sometimes liver enzyme levels are elevated in older dogs due to old age (same as humans - an old liver doesn't work as well as a young one). Has your vet suggested a second blood test to see if the liver enzyme levels are changing?

A high fat diet can put a strain on the liver, so I would be avoiding feeding high fat treats or foods.

You should talk to your vet about how significant the numbers are and why she thinks it might be cushings or liver disease. It may have more to do with the low white blood cell count. If she is happy to wait a week and a half for an ultrasound then I wouldn't be panicking just yet.

Thanks, SchnauzerMax, for the info. One of my other dogs has pancreatitis so all four are on Hills Science Diet with no/low fat treats, etc., so that is all good. The vet didn't suggest a second blood test, but this dog is a rescue (in January), and the blood test I had done when I got her didn't indicate anything unusual, so this one now is a bit of a worry. She is quite old with an unknown past. We have no choice but to wait for an ultrasound as my vet doesn't do them and the bigger animal hospital has their vet( who does them) away.

That's interesting that it can just be due to old age, and yes, it could be because of the low white blood cell count that she is opting for the ultrasound. I appreciate your reply.

i would investigate giving your dog Milk thistle..it is excellent for liver detox and support.

(http://www.natural-dog-health-remedies.com/milk-thistle-for-dogs.html)

Milk thistle is well known as a "liver herb" both for humans and pets.

Milk thistle contains a flavonoid compound called "silymarin" which itself is a combination of several other active compounds.

Extensive studies around the world have found that silymarin is safe and effective in treating a variety of liver diseases and other conditions, from kidney disease to mushroom or lead poisoning.

Holistic veterinarians (and some conventional ones as well) have long been using milk thistle to treat dog liver disease. It has an excellent safety record and no known adverse drug interactions, although taking too much of the herb at a time can sometimes cause an upset stomach, gas, or mild diarrhea.

Milk Thistle for Dogs - Common Uses in Canine

The silymarin constituent in milk thistle has numerous functions and can be used to treat a variety of dog health problems:

Liver Protection

Silymarin and other related compounds support and protect the liver. Specifically, they strengthen the liver cell resistance to harmful toxins and stimulate new cell reproduction. As such, milk thistle is very effective in treating dogs with liver problems and related diseases, such as:

Chronic inflammatory liver disorders (e.g. hepatitis)

Liver tumors or cancer

Skin problems secondary to liver disease

Leptospirosis

Pancreatitis

Fatty liver

Detoxification

Because of the powerful antioxidant properties of the silymarin compounds, milk thistle is an ideal herb for detoxification. In particular, dogs who have been on allopathic medications, dewormers, chemotherapy, vaccinations, and heartworm medications can benefit from milk thistle supplementation. It can also be given to dogs who are recovering from parvovirus.

Milk Thistle for Dogs - Dosage

The standard dosage of milk thistle extract is based on a silymarin content of around 80 percent. Most supplements of milk thistle contain about 100 to 200 mg of the herb.

As mentioned above, milk thistle is very safe on dogs. For dogs with advanced liver disease, a dosage as high as 200 mg per 10 pounds of body weight is possible. For other liver problems or health conditions, 75 to 100 mg per 10 pounds of body weight per day is sufficient to see results.

If milk thistle causes upset stomach, gas, or mild diarrhea in your dogs, simply reduce the dosage.

Milk Thistle for Dogs - Precautions

Despite the fact that milk thistle is hailed as "the" herb for the liver, it should NOT be given to healthy dogs as a daily supplement. Some studies show that long-term use of very high dosages of milk thistle will eventually suppress liver function.

Milk thistle should therefore be used only as a medicinal herb for the treatment of liver disorders and other health problems as mentioned above.

hope this is of some help

Helen

• 8 months later...

Stellnme, can I ask how the diagnosis went? Hope everything is ok after these few months. It's always a worry with older dogs, I'm waiting on a similar high ALP report here for my girl.

Ktn, sorry to butt in but I went through it a few months back, with my older Cav (I did a post in here about Renae) . Renae's levels are now back to normal. Shes still not 100 percent, and we still suspect she might have cushings, but have decided because shes eating ok and not losing weight, not to go ahead with any more tests for now. we dont want too subject her too much as i think her health issues have caused her some anxiety.

JulesCav, it is nice to hear the enzyme levels are potentially manageable. It is a worry how much stress the tests will be...

JulesP I'm so sorry to hear about Marli (the dog mentioned here I'm assuming), it's awful to bring up the sad news again I know the feeling :(

ktn, Marlie was my dog who had the elevated liver enzyme levels and yes, she was diagnosed with cushings. She was due to have an ultrasound to determine where we went from there but unfortunately went downhill and passed away. She was a very old dog with an unknown past and lots of medical problems, so the finding of elevated levels is not necessarily untreatable in other dogs as Jules has demonstrated with her Renae.

I was also worried how she would cope with all the tests as she also was almost blind and hated being away from us, so in her case, it was probably kinder for her that she didn't have to go through it all.

There is some good information from other people who have had experience with this in this thread and others, and Sheridan was a big help with her experiences with her Grumpy, perhaps she may come in here with some information or PM her?

Best of luck as you go through this - find as much information as you can and ask many, many questions of your vet.

Thanks for the kind advice stellnme. It's comforting to know others can help and we're not alone on the journey. The older dogs are just so precious aren't they, can't help fussing about them.