Pet Barn Selling Dogs And Cats

It has come to my attention recently that Pet Barn have started selling dogs and cats at some of their stores. They are supposedly all from animal shelters and sold desexed but does that make it ok?

I think it is a bit disappointing, personally. I think they are encouraging impulse buying and they couldn't possibly be screening all their buyers adequately before sending the animal home.

Here is the info on their website about it:

http://www.petbarn.com.au/services/adoptions

I'm not sure when they started doing this but I don't like it at all :(

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't like animals being sold in pet shops..

It would be better if they had open days and invited rescues to bring their fosters in for a while for a meet and greet. That way, if anyone was interested they could take it up with the rescue...

Obviously they won't really get anything for it other than, maybe, extra sales from possible new owners of rescue dogs...

Perhaps I'm reading it wrong but it sounds like a member of whichever shelter would be there permanently running the adoptions section.

I think it's a step in the right direction but only if managed for the welfare of the animals involved. No glass boxes, no adoptions done without an application form to determine suitability and so on. Still leaves the question of homechecks but as far as I know, the RSPCA don't bother with those anyway so it'd be no different to adopting directly from the shelter.

We have a Pet Barn here & it sells puppies & kittens in those aweful glass cabnets :( And has done for quite some time. I wont enter the store as I don't agree with it.

Just had to edit as these animals aren't rescues either. They are mostly from BYBer's :(

Edited by BC Crazy

Only 2 stores in Melb have animals up for adoption and not always. They work in conjunction with Lort Smith. Application process.

No animal goes home the same day. Dog enclosures are open. Vet on hand as there is a clinic in store. Not sure how NSW works. It was orginally

Pets at Home now Petbarn. Been doing it for a few years now. Good to see they no longer sell smallies and birds.

I'm not sure how it works exactly as none of the stores near me are doing it (yet) but we do have an RSPCA centre at one of the local shopping centres (which is what led me to discovering this about Pet Barn). I suspect it might be very similar. At the RSPCA one they are all kept in glass boxes (albeit a little bigger than regular pet shop ones) and there is a short waiting period between buying the animal and taking it home but only a day or so while it is vet checked and vaccinated.

I also have strong doubts about the RSPCA's ability to screen buyers. When I was younger and stupider, my boyfriend and I bought a cat from the RSPCA as a surprise present for his sister. The RSPCA staff were aware that the cat was not for us but they didn't say anything or stop us from getting it.

Possibly contact the customer service team and I'm sure they would happily go through the process and answer any questions regarding how it's run :).

I sent them an email earlier. Still waiting to hear back, I expect it won't be until tomorrow at least. I'm still not sold on it though.

Tough call

They clearly want to be seen as good corporate citizens.

But, I can't see how they can obviate the issues that arise by selling animals in pet stores.

On the other hand, rescue animals need a outlet for rehoming them.

It is a very ambitious undertaking and I do not envy them at all.

I actually just saw the rspca dog set up in Dubbo. They said that Dubbo is the only dog set-up in NSW, other stores have cats. I think it is good. What difference is it whether they are at the shelter or at petbarn while waiting for a new home. I saw the RSPCA come and visit and the set-up was really lovely. The only thing was that the staffy seemed quite stressed and I felt sad for it but the salesgirl said she had personally taken it for a run in the morning. I feel the intentions are good. I would be disappointed if they are doing the pets paradise set-up and selling pups from puppy farms:(

Edited by FlyingFurball

There is a petshop near northmead in sydney that apprently sell cats and kittens from shelters... mind you they sell them undesexed and offer you a " special" desexing rate if you want it done :/ mind you the same store advocating "rescue" is also selling...... cavoodles pomchis pavlovas ( wtf!! lol) and god knows what else....the one northmead seem to lure people in with the we rescue bit and then sucker them into buying a puppy farm animal.......it disgusts me :mad

My local Pet Barn has had an association with a local shelter for as long as we have been going there. As far as I can tell it is more a means of promoting the shelter. They do take names of potential adopters to do checks, but they don't do on the spot adoptions and they bring the animals with them each day and take them home again at night. Most of the dogs and cats are adults and they also collect donations and run the odd fundraiser.

I actually just saw the rspca dog set up in Dubbo. They said that Dubbo is the only dog set-up in NSW, other stores have cats. I think it is good. What difference is it whether they are at the shelter or at petbarn while waiting for a new home. I saw the RSPCA come and visit and the set-up was really lovely. The only thing was that the staffy seemed quite stressed and I felt sad for it but the salesgirl said she had personally taken it for a run in the morning. I feel the intentions are good. I would be disappointed if they are doing the pets paradise set-up and selling pups from puppy farms:(

To me, the difference is that if someone goes out of their way to go to a shelter they probably already decided they want a new pet and have probably put at least a little bit of thought into it. If they are being sold by a pet shop there is more chance that someone has gone in there with no intention of buying a pet and gets sucked in by some cute puppy or kitten and makes an impulse decision to buy it.

I also think that a pet store is a much more stressful environment than a shelter, especially if the store has a lot of customers.

There is a petshop near northmead in sydney that apprently sell cats and kittens from shelters... mind you they sell them undesexed and offer you a " special" desexing rate if you want it done :/ mind you the same store advocating "rescue" is also selling...... cavoodles pomchis pavlovas ( wtf!! lol) and god knows what else....the one northmead seem to lure people in with the we rescue bit and then sucker them into buying a puppy farm animal.......it disgusts me :mad

A petshop...not a Petbarn which is the topic of this thread?? Just wanting to be clear as I'll be disheartened if they gave me the wrong info out at Dubbo :(

I know it says pet barn all I am saying that on the topic of pet supply places selling rescue animals etc

I hate it when places say they are adopting out rescues when in fact they are selling for a profit not saying that petbarn are doing this, but I am entitled to have my say instead of starting a whole new thread just to say that one thing. :confused:

Edited by thundercat

I used to work for a PetBarn. We sold RSPCA kittens. The adoption process was the same that goes on at the shelter (I've been to and worked at the shelter on a voluntary basis) and while the Petbarn staff could give info on the kittens, what they came with etc, the adoptions and screening was carried out by vollies/RSPCA staff.

I don't see how this is different from the RSPCA adoptions at the shelter itself? I thought it was doing a great service - the kittens were more accessible, with a higher staff to animal ratio, and we often had customers specifically coming in for kittens they'd seen on the website.

We adopted about 100 kittens in the first 6 or 7 months.

ETA the money goes through the tills but then to the RSPCA

Edited by Flick_Mac