Anti-itch Wound Healing Spray

Guest Maeby Fünke

Guest Labradork

I'm looking after my sister's Pug who had five Mast Cell Tumours removed from his head and neck today. Long story short, my sister is living/working overseas and she has been offered a permanent job. She was going to come home for Christmas but she has changed her mind.

Her Pug is unable to wear an Elizabethan Collar because it would rub against his stitches (he has so many that today my vet and I called him Frankenpuggie :laugh:). My vet suggested that I buy an anti-itch wound healing spray from the chemist. I have forgotten the name of the one she mentioned.

Has anyone used one of these for wound healing and which one would you recommend?

Edited by Labradork

I usually use Hypericum ointment for wounds/cuts and the like. Its ingredients are:

Hypericam flower (oil and extracts) lavender flower extract, oil of leafy tea tree twig,and superfine lanolin.

I also use Scarless Healer,ingredients: Hypericum extract, Aloe juice powder, and Calendula flower extract. It is best to warm this ointment a little as it makes it easier to apply...it's pretty sticky.

Both products are found in Health stores.

If you can't get to the shops you could just put on the gel of freshly peeled Aloe vera, which you will probably have growing in your garden.

Guest Labradork

I usually use Hypericum ointment for wounds/cuts and the like. Its ingredients are:

Hypericam flower (oil and extracts) lavender flower extract, oil of leafy tea tree twig,and superfine lanolin.

I also use Scarless Healer,ingredients: Hypericum extract, Aloe juice powder, and Calendula flower extract. It is best to warm this ointment a little as it makes it easier to apply...it's pretty sticky.

Both products are found in Health stores.

If you can't get to the shops you could just put on the gel of freshly peeled Aloe vera, which you will probably have growing in your garden.

Thanks, Boronia...that is a great idea. I will see if I can get some of this stuff today :)

Guest Labradork

Poor puggy :/

Most pugs can't wear cones of shame anyway, due to their neck being chunky and the same/similar sized to their head, so they just slip them off.

He looks so sad sitting in his crate. His tail, which is normally tight and curly (like a coffee scroll on his back :laugh: ), is all straight and undone. My Naturopath suggested giving him some Vitamin B to help to lift his mood :(

Edited by Labradork

Most pugs can't wear cones of shame anyway, due to their neck being chunky and the same/similar sized to their head, so they just slip them off.

He looks so sad sitting in his crate. His tail, which is normally tight and curly (like a coffee scroll on his back :laugh: ), is all straight and undone. My Naturopath suggested giving him some Vitamin B to help to lift his mood :(

Little guy probably just feels rotten after the operation. Give him lots of cuddles and love. I probably wouldn't give him any vit B personally, you don't really want him upand bouncing around. It's sort of natures way of making him take it easy and heal.

Guest Labradork

Little guy probably just feels rotten after the operation. Give him lots of cuddles and love. I probably wouldn't give him any vit B personally, you don't really want him upand bouncing around. It's sort of natures way of making him take it easy and heal.

I misunderstood my Naturopath. She said I could give him some Vitamin B in a week or so, if his mood doesn't improve :)

The pug is probably suffering from a headache and bruises and soreness

.. not moving , staying quiet & slow will do him the world of good!! Aslong as he is getting a good quality food .. and is drinking (maybe make him a thick chicken soup?).

I would suggest checking out ARNICA in drop form ASAP .. they can help with bruising/pain etc . Dropped onto the lip/gum, it is absorbed quickly . I have used arnica a few times for humans and dogs ..and, yes, I believe it does help.

Ask at the health food store or a good pharmacy ( or check online for somewhere nearyou ! )

Edited by persephone

Guest Labradork

The pug is probably suffering from a headache and bruises and soreness

.. not moving , staying quiet & slow will do him the world of good!! Aslong as he is getting a good quality food .. and is drinking (maybe make him a thick chicken soup?).

I would suggest checking out ARNICA in drop form ASAP .. they can help with bruising/pain etc . Dropped onto the lip/gum, it is absorbed quickly . I have used arnica a few times for humans and dogs ..and, yes, I believe it does help.

Ask at the health food store or a good pharmacy ( or check online for somewhere nearyou ! )

I'm giving him the following with my vet and naturopath's permission:

Echinacea ACE Plus Zinc

Acidophilus

Rescue Remedy

Onsior anti-inflammatory

Aloe Vera gel

Calendula tea spray

Manuka honey (his throat is sore after having a tube down it)

And he had some chicken and sweet potato, peas, carrots and spinach with flaxseed oil for dinner.

He's drinking tons of water and he has perked up a bit today. He was crying (in that funny Pug way) for his dinner tonight. He was really hungry.

I also bought a couple of high necked baby's t-shirts, to cover his stitches on his neck, and some little baby's socks. I have also cut some strips from a cotton sheet to use as bandages if he tries to scratch his head.

He tried to scratch a couple of times but as soon as I put on the Aloe Vera and Calendula he stopped. He is asleep now.

ETA

He also has yoghurt for breakfast and tuna for lunch (small sizes). It's the only way to get him to take all his medicine.

Edited by Labradork

I don't know if giving Acidophilus is such a good idea just yet. It might be a waste? I thought the antibiotics killed acidophilus?

Antibiotics kill/attack all bacteria. Hence why you often need to keep putting the good ones back into the body when you are taking them. Same goes with humans who are on antibiotics.

If you do not mind sending your dog purple/pink for a few days, Try Centrogen Spray (often available at horseland and produce stores). It is an antiseptic, which also includes a fly repellant and have found in some cases, also helps with itch.

Potties White Cream (also available from horse/produce stores is also good for healing and promotes skin growth and can reduce scarring.

Iodine/Betadine are both also good for all round antiseptic. Betadine is really only a predilute version of Iodine. I get my iodine from either pet store/produce and dilute it down accordingly. It is also much cheaper than betadine.

I don't know if giving Acidophilus is such a good idea just yet. It might be a waste? I thought the antibiotics killed acidophilus?

Antibiotics kill/attack all bacteria. Hence why you often need to keep putting the good ones back into the body when you are taking them. Same goes with humans who are on antibiotics.

I thought the general idea was to take the Acidophilus after a course of antibiotics? I'm just trying to understand it more as this is what I have always been told.

I thought the general idea was to take the Acidophilus after a course of antibiotics? I'm just trying to understand it more as this is what I have always been told.

That is my impression as well.. as whatever you put in there gets killed by the AB's ..so is a waste of money .

Guest Labradork

:)

sounds a lucky boy!!

Just a thought .. anything covering stitches will rub/catch on them .. causing them to wriggle in the skin, and be irritating :( Best to get pugsley some nice soft boots, perhaps ? :)

WE do need pics of Frankenpug :p

Yes I agree - I decided that covering his stitches was not such a good idea. I bought him some cotton baby's socks...and some breathable bandaging tape to wrap around the socks to keep them in place.

I will take some pics today. I only have my mobile camera because my good camera got stolen from my car when I was at the beach. He's asleep under my doona at the moment.

Edited by Labradork

Guest Labradork

He hasn't been prescribed antibiotics - just Onsior anti-inflammatory tablets.

Edited by Labradork

Guest Labradork

If you do not mind sending your dog purple/pink for a few days, Try Centrogen Spray (often available at horseland and produce stores). It is an antiseptic, which also includes a fly repellant and have found in some cases, also helps with itch.

Potties White Cream (also available from horse/produce stores is also good for healing and promotes skin growth and can reduce scarring.

Iodine/Betadine are both also good for all round antiseptic. Betadine is really only a predilute version of Iodine. I get my iodine from either pet store/produce and dilute it down accordingly. It is also much cheaper than betadine.

Thanks, Mystiqview :)

I made up a strong brew of Calendula tea and I've been spraying that on his wounds/stitches morning and night, as well as putting on some Aloe Vera gel during the day. The gel has died his skin green so he really does look like a Frankenpuggie at the moment :laugh:

I also have some Betadine in the bathroom cupboard.

I will ask my Naturopath about the Centrogen spray and Potties cream...she owns and treats horses.

Guest Labradork

That is my impression as well.. as whatever you put in there gets killed by the AB's ..so is a waste of money .

I'm not sure either...I will ask my Naturopath.

Thanks for your replies :)

Edited by Labradork