People's Prejudice Against Dogs

GSDowner

Our german shepherd is 10 y o. He has always lived at home as a family member (as did all our dogs). At one stage we reported a suspicious person in our suburb (who knocked on doors and asked personal questions). When police came they said our dog was a very good watchdog (he is very vigilant and has a low loud bark). They said that it is a good idea to keep our dog inside for our safety. I am convinced of it hearing of attacks on elderly people.

My brother is visiting from interstate and will live with us this Christmas. I am already under stress. My brother didn't previously mind our dogs inside; but his wife is against it(and my brother started to agree with her) . They complain of my dog's hair and a doggy smell. I told my brother that perhaps his wife should not be visiting us. His reply was "it's her right to come to our house". He looks in disgust at our dog, asks us if we wash our hands after touching him. He said his wife told him there are numerous diseases people can catch from dogs. I am perplexed as I don't know of any, and if this is the case then nobody would have a dog.

I am so NOT looking forward to this year's Christmas in view of the above. I love my brother

and love to see him, but wish he and his family would stay away from our house.

I would be so grateful if someone could give me some information about dogs so I could argue my point that dogs are not dangerous to people's health.

Edited by GSDowner

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There will be others who will reply with great info, I'm sure, but my 2 cents are: no one tells ME what I do in MY house, and my dog is my family and is included in that. If your brother and sister in law are so very against sharing a house with a dog, possibly have Xmas on neutral territory, eg a park or somewhere similar. You're sister in law does not have a right in your house over your dog, YOU decide that!

My dog sleeps inside, and when we move away from my in laws, I hope to have my dogs inside even more!

I wouldn't argue the point actually. I'd just say that is how it is, and if they can't be gracious about it, here is the name of a hotel, and here is the name of a local restaurant that does Christmas Lunch.

In short, you can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into. They have a strong preference, so they will need to adjust themselves around that preference while visiting you, just as you would not expect to take your dog inside with you while visiting them.

Some information, but like I say, a dog house to a non-dog person can be difficult to be in and I think they should make alternative arrangements.

http://www.petside.com/article/health-benefits-dog-ownership

This does sound very stressful :(

No info about dogs you can use ..really.. yes, worms and sarcoptic mange are transmissible to humans ..but most dogs are well cared for , have illnesses treated and are definitely not a 'danger', disease wise.

but perhaps explain that it is not your SIL's 'RIGHT' to stay at your house ..and that , when in your house , they accept your way of living, and your rules.

The one thing which concerns me is that your dog will pick up on their attitude ..esp if the S I L is demonstrative ..he may behave differently , and may react to them in ways he doesn't normally . :(

I would really suggest a motel/caravan park ,or another relation's house for them . Say you would love to have them there for the day ... but , yes, you think it may not be healthy for them to stay with your dog in close confines....

:(

:hug:

I agree with all of the above, the only other thing I'd suggest is to give him a bath and a thorough brush out of his coat the day before if you have time, so he will be at his best. Also put a big sign on your front door, Love me, Love my Dog :laugh:

Agree 100% with dotdashdot - your house, your rules and frankly I think they should be grateful that you're offering to accommodate them in the first place.

In relation to the dog hygiene issue though, well, there's lots you can say about that. Firstly, if your dog is wormed, there really isn't anything they can transmit to a human - we don't share the same diseases or anything like that. Having animals around also decreases your chances of developing allergies, hence why some childcare centres are now keeping animals on site for the babies to play with (http://www.zebrakids.com.au/index.htm). Their saliva contains bacteria killing compounds and has been shown to kill some of the most common bacteria that affect humans such as e coli etc. The saliva of dogs contains many agents that kill germs and help heal wounds. A few of these agents include:

The enzyme lysozyme, which breaks the chemical bonds in bacterial cell walls.

The antibody IgA (immunoglobulin A), which directly attacks bacteria.

Opiorphin, which has an analgesic (pain killing) effect.

There are known cases of people getting sick from being licked by their dogs but these are so rare that they are considered newsworthy events. Most articles conclude that you don't have to worry too much about getting sick from your dog.

Studies have also shown that dogs lower blood pressure and dog owners typically have fewer doctor visits than non dog owners.

And my last argument; if you could get sick from a dog, I would be sick by now. There are plenty of people on these forums that spend a lot of time with their dogs and yet I don't see a single thread about their dogs making them sick...

And I'd finish by again reiterating that it's your house.

At the end of the day, its YOUR house, YOUR rules, unless you can work out a compromise somehow.

If I was going to go stay anywhere and there was something I knew I'd be uncomfortable about, I'd make alternative arrangements.

This is like our place but with cats too :laugh:

post-11918-0-06628100-1354400474_thumb.jpg

It's your house, your dog, and your rules.... they don't like that, they find somewhere else to stay. It really is as simple as that.

T.

This x 10..

My home, my dog. He lives inside, sleeps on my bed and eats in the kitchen. If family and friends don't like it they can stay somewhere else or they just have to come to terms with it.. Their choice.

One of my husbands friends came over with his toddler and he was harassing our old Stafford. I pulled him (dog) out from under the table and put him in our room to separate them.

The man said, why don't I just put the dog outside.. I said because this is his home, why don't you put your child outside.

My husband giggled and took his friend and his little lad out to the back deck to solve the problem.

We always went to their place from then on, so they didn't visit us.

You could bath him and do everything possible to make him acceptable to your family but quite honestly, it won't be enough. They don't like dogs.

In the UK we had dog hating relatives come and stay so we put our dog into boarding kennels. He was very ill when he came home - never again will I do this to my pets so that someone can come and stay.

It's your house, your dog is your family. If they don't like that then they really do need to go somewhere else. I can't believe how people want to stay with someone and enforce their own house rules - how dare they.

I don't like youth hostels and sharing rooms with others so guess what? I don't stay in them. It's quite simple really.

A former friend of mine claimed to like dogs but only liked them if they were outside and looked like a Kelpie. This person hated visiting my house because i have my dogs inside and told me it was dirty etc etc. She'd sometimes tell me that she didn't like a particular dog (usually an abused one) and I should get it put to sleep. Heartless and totally without compassion is how I think of this former friend ...

Edited by dogmad

I know it will be difficult ... and for your brother too. Motels etc are not cheap ..and they might not be able to afford anything like that ..esp around Christmas.

Christmas has this ability to 'force' families together and ignite all sorts of friction .

I hope you can find a solution which does not make you feel uncomfortable in your space.

Im thinking perhaps thats why no one ever really wants to stay at our house ! :laugh:

My 8 year old neice stays occasionally, and unfortunately she is allergic to our cavs and cats :( We keep telling her to wash after her hands after she plays with them, but of course at her age, she forgets, or doesn't listen but then later ends up with watery red itchy eyes and gets all upset :( Doesn't help she's always in their faces..

Edited by Jules♥Cavs

That's incredibly rude, and I wouldn't even try to argue with them. Just nod and smile and say "oh well".

And of course make sure your dog doesn't interact with them, wash him and brush him before hand, sweep the floors etc, but it's your house so if they don't like dogs inside, tough titties.