How To Teach A Puppy Not To Bark Inappropriately?

I love goldens

Daisy, our 9 week old puppy has always been a quiet dog, but recently she has started barking at everything!

She doesn't respond to "NO!" and only occasionally responds to a growl, no matter how much we tell her and try to train her! She now barks at almost EVERYTHING, Us and the cat! Which totally freaks him out and puts us a step back in our introduction process!

What is the best way to firstly, teach her NO! and then to stop her from barking when she is inside?

puppies bark ..and run, and nip, and chew, and dig ...it's all part of growing up, and normal puppy behaviour. Unfortunately it is not well accepted by humans , so we need to learn why they do it ..and then help them change their habits ....

Make sure she has plenty of play time outside ..and ample things to dig in/chew up , roll around ,climb, out there . :)

Pups do not have any idea what NO means ..... and she is only a baby ..still getting used to us weird humans who cannot understand, or speak, DOG.

Cat should be provided with a safe room .. where he can go, but pup cant.

There is a link here which may help LINK

and you also might like to read this ARTICLE :)

As Pers. said, puppies do not know what NO means. The best way I have found to stop a pup from barking is get onto it very early & use either a squirt water bottle at the same time as your growly sharp "no" or one of those hand held ultrasonic devices & use it the same way. They learn pretty quick with the UD & with my guys one or two barks & they never nuisance barked again. Now they only bark in play or if something is serious. You can only use the UD if you only have the one dog present for obvious reasons & make sure the cat is not in the room. It doesn't hurt them & only they can hear it. It distracts them & they don't like it so they learn to stop pretty quickly. You can get them off Ebay for around $20.

Edited by sheena

She's a baby! And I know you say she's "always been a quiet dog" - nah.... I doubt that - she's only been home just over a week hasn't she and probably was a bit tentative for the first few days in her new home but now is letting you know she's got a voice and like's to use it! Puppies bark - and dig - and chew - and nip... it's going to take time and patience. In our house it's a stern "UH-UH!" and they stop and look at you. Then try "sit" and lots of pats and praise for stopping the bad behaviour and listening to you. I know what you mean with training and it does start from day 1, but a 9 week old puppy isn't trained yet - it's a process and you have to remember that when she's a baby everything is a game - give it time, patience and lots of love.

And we use "uh-uh" nice and clear (not yelling it but loud enough to get their attention) because I don't want to growl at my dogs for being dogs - just re-direct them to you and then lots of love for listening to you :)

Best of luck - the calm will come..... when she's like 8 rofl1.gif

• 2 weeks later...

As Pers. said, puppies do not know what NO means. The best way I have found to stop a pup from barking is get onto it very early & use either a squirt water bottle at the same time as your growly sharp "no" or one of those hand held ultrasonic devices & use it the same way. They learn pretty quick with the UD & with my guys one or two barks & they never nuisance barked again. Now they only bark in play or if something is serious. You can only use the UD if you only have the one dog present for obvious reasons & make sure the cat is not in the room. It doesn't hurt them & only they can hear it. It distracts them & they don't like it so they learn to stop pretty quickly. You can get them off Ebay for around $20.

Sheena, any chance you can link to one? Not sure what they are but they sound like a good idea. I have a new pup coming home in 2 weeks and might come in handy.

Jo

334 views & only 5 replies means either that hardly anyones barks or its a bugger of a problem :laugh:

Mine are barkers & I find that while they understand the command Quiet I need their attention first. This can be the problem especially with pups when they get on a roll.

To obey the puppy has to understand what you want. Its not always obvious to them so you have to make it really clear.

A cheap, metal sports whistle is what I use to get attention. If I blow it every time they do a communal bark at something & then say Quiet they do stop.

Finding where I left the whistle is the biggest drawback. Around my neck was no good almost strangled myself.

So far our 12 week old puppy hasn't really done any barking, except some sharp yaps/whimpers when she wants to let us know she wants to go outside to do her business, or when shes bored and wants to come out of her pen.. Its only a matter of time before she picks up naughty type yapping from our 2 older cavs embarrass.gif

I am mostly home atm, so will get onto her if she starts up. I usually squirt some fine water on the older Cavs (with a plastic trigger container) when they start up, but im not sure if that would be psychologically damaging to a young puppy, so still thinking on strategies to use if she start carrying on ..

One of our cavs is deaf so voice commands don't work on her anymore..

Edited by Jules❤3Cavs

Sheena, any chance you can link to one? Not sure what they are but they sound like a good idea. I have a new pup coming home in 2 weeks and might come in handy.

Jo

Hi, If you just go into Ebay & type in Ultrasonic Dog it will come up. The collars are no good, you want a hand held one.

Jo

Hi, If you just go into Ebay & type in Ultrasonic Dog it will come up. The collars are no good, you want a hand held one.

I tried one of those when I had 4 dogs and they took no notice of it. Didn't even acknowledge the sound at all. I thought it was broken so tried it on a friends dogs and they all ran for cover. So for some dogs they work but not for others.

With my barky JS, who is not at all timid and is very tough for a JS, I eventually resorted to a throw chain to stop him barking at us. Throwing the chain collar near his feet to startle him had the desired result and if he is being a brat now, all I need to do is touch the chain and he will stop. Very useful when you are on the phone and he is barking at you and biting playfully at your feet to get you off. I didn't use it until he was 6 months old because some dogs can be very frightened of it. He isn't but knows if the chain comes out he has really done something wrong. It's almost as if you can hear him saying "damn, now I have to behave". He still barks a LOT more than any of my BCs but JS are a very vocal breed.

It's entirely possible she just wants to communicate with you, and that's the only way she knows how :)

Mine is generally quiet and only barks when there is intruder, which by his definition is any passerby within 20 metres of the house, airplane, birds or flies which he's anxious to catch :rofl:

One thing I read was to teach your dog to bark first, by putting a command (Bark, Speak, Talk etc) when she starts barking, a 'Quiet' command and a treat reward when she stops. Everyone is always amused when I say "Good talk!" and my dog goes quiet :laugh:

• 1 month later...

This is reasonably simple. Get some water in the spray bottle. Stay away from the barking puppy until the puppy barks, then calmly walk to the puppy and spray him in the face with the mist of water.This may seem like a cruel practice but no it is not and it just a water and puppy will learn very fast. Only do this if this is a persistent barking. If puppy just barks once or twice ignore it, it is a dog afterwards. Do not use any electric shockers etc you may ruin the dog.

Do not say anything at all when you spray the barking pup and just calmly walk away.

And for the rest of your life carry a water bottle around with you because you've not associated a word with the action, so you can't then remove the action and use only the word?

My 8wk old BC is very vocal - has barked enthusiastically at my neighbours sprinklers, and the chickens so far. I just walked away both times. I've heard this can be effective - apparently if you add to the noise by adding your voice into the mix; you're 'joining in' with the alarm and encouraging the behaviour.

I have always used a spray water bottle as my 2 can get yappy embarrass.gif

Sometimes I have said 'Stop It' when spraying, others times Ive said nothing, the action speaks for itself now. One of our Cavs is deaf now anyway, so she understand what its all about without having to say anything.

Im using the same principle on our puppy now too to stop her chasing the cats, as shes stirring them up heaps and Im scared they are going scratch her eyes! frown.gif

Edited by Jules❤3Cavs