Sbt Breeders Please Help Solve An Argument!

Remarkabull

I'm currently watching, kind of participating in 'disagreement' on FB about 'English Staffies'

Myself and another lady are trying to tell a breeder of 23 years that there is no such breed as English Staffordshire Terrier. The breeder is insisting that it says English on her dogs papers and that some of her dogs are show champions etc. She also says that at shows they are referred to as either English or American Staffordshire.

now I see all the time on here people saying that there is no such thing and I've even directed this lady to come to DOL and check with the breeders of SBT to see what they say.

I am sure I'm correct about this but she is insisting that she is correct and will even put puma pic of her dogs papers that show the word English on there.

Help me out please?

Oh god, now there is another one telling us that there is definitely 'English and American Staffys, they are 2 different types of Staffys'

Face palm, rolls eyes and any other emoticon that fits is really needed!

Who :confused:

Oh god, now there is another one telling us that there is definitely 'English and American Staffys, they are 2 different types of Staffys'

Ask them about the Irish Staffordshire Terrier - not a recognised breed (I don't think)..

I am not a breeder but I have had staffords for years.

SBT = Staffordshire Bull Terrier

AST = American Staffordshire Terrier..

I agree with Nek - get her to scan her pedigree papers so you can see it.. I bet she can't.

'English Staffy' is one of my pet peeves.

I prefer to hear them called Staffords or SBTs or their full name (when they are a purebred or are pedigree dogs)

Ask them about the Irish Staffordshire Terrier - not a recognised breed (I don't think)..

I agree with Nek - get her to scan her pedigree papers so you can see it.. I bet she can't.

I prefer to hear them called Staffords or SBTs or their full name (when they are a purebred or are pedigree dogs)

My husband is Irish and they call Stafford, Pit Bull mixes Irish Staffys, it's just slang for a common cross breed. He had a Stafford x Pit Bull back which looked just like an Amstaff to me.

Save your breath. Really.

You won't convince some folk of anything.

But you could ask her to find where the EST is listed here

The other lady has already posted a link to ANKC website, apparently we are still wrong. Her parents are breeders and they know! Now she is saying that it must be because in some states the SBT has been declared as a dangerous dog so they must have changed the name.

It's too frustrating, I can't even look at the posts anymore!

I'm currently watching, kind of participating in 'disagreement' on FB about 'English Staffies'

Myself and another lady are trying to tell a breeder of 23 years that there is no such breed as English Staffordshire Terrier. The breeder is insisting that it says English on her dogs papers and that some of her dogs are show champions etc. She also says that at shows they are referred to as either English or American Staffordshire.

now I see all the time on here people saying that there is no such thing and I've even directed this lady to come to DOL and check with the breeders of SBT to see what they say.

I am sure I'm correct about this but she is insisting that she is correct and will even put puma pic of her dogs papers that show the word English on there.

Help me out please?

Dont't sweat it, you're right.

Just smile, give a little shrug & move on.

You can't educate idiots.

Staffy's are generic brindle pound dogs

The Staffordshire Bull Terrier is the Stafford.

The American Staffrodshire Terrier is the Amstaff.

England is the country of origin of the SBT

The end........ :laugh:

Well there you go.

All "black" staffords are in fact brindles.

gotta luv them staffies.

My husband is Irish and they call Stafford, Pit Bull mixes Irish Staffys, it's just slang for a common cross breed. He had a Stafford x Pit Bull back which looked just like an Amstaff to me.

Yeah, I had heard that many years ago. So off I went to google it and it has just stuck in the back of my head.

So, what is "wrong" with using the nickname "staffy" for a purebred SBT??? Why the hell not....after all it's just a nickname...since when did a nickname have to be "correct"? By the very term "nickname" it's an affectionate shortening of the proper name. I have an SBT and I refer to him as a staffy.

It's a funny old world when even the shortened nicknames we choose to give our breeds are policed....who decides what we are "allowed" to referto our dogs as anyway? :)

So, what is "wrong" with using the nickname "staffy" for a purebred SBT??? Why the hell not....after all it's just a nickname...since when did a nickname have to be "correct"? By the very term "nickname" it's an affectionate shortening of the proper name. I have an SBT and I refer to him as a staffy.

It's a funny old world when even the shortened nicknames we choose to give our breeds are policed....who decides what we are "allowed" to referto our dogs as anyway? :)

"Staffy"s the universal term of affection for the breed.

I use it all the time.

Because I luv 'em.

And it pisses off the the poseurs.

& I love that.

The problem comes with labelling the SBT as an English Staffy because there's no need to add in English. Staffordshire is a county in the middle of England, so it's a misnomer calling the breed an English Staffordshire Bull Terrier.

But as others have said, you can't educate stupid!