How Did Your Dog Get It's Name?

No offence intended at all :) I quite like the name Shazza and I call my best mates mum Shaz or Shazza when I see her (and I'm a closet bogan myself :p) I just couldn't quite bring myself to name my dog Shazza, especially when thinking of recall exercises haha.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The other front runners for James' name were Bruce and Barney. Then his breeder mentioned that two of his brothers were to be named, you guessed it, Bruce and Barney. Sort of nixed that idea. He comes from a very well-named litter though.

Indiana was also up there for a while--after Mr Jones, of course--but given all the Indy's out there, I'm glad he's a James instead. As for the name itself, there was no particular reason other than the fact that it's a nice name. And it's fun to see people's reaction to a dog called James. People often seem to feel compelled to call him Sir James when they first meet him. It's very amusing.

My great-grandfather was a James and my grandmother still seems a little bewildered by it. I also had to explain to my brother that I was using his middle name on the dog :laugh:

No offence intended at all :) I quite like the name Shazza and I call my best mates mum Shaz or Shazza when I see her (and I'm a closet bogan myself :p) I just couldn't quite bring myself to name my dog Shazza, especially when thinking of recall exercises haha.

None taken :) Just having a bit of fun with it. :thumbsup:

S

We often get scared looks in off leash dog parks when my sister screams out 'WOLF' to recall her dog!

Azure is the name given by her breeder, her mother’s name is Dragon (Takas Hidden Dragon) and we like it so it stayed plus we couldn’t agree on a call name. My son calls her Zuzu, she doesn’t listen to him but he calls her that anyway. Her name suits her temperament description which is flying shark, hidden dragon

post-23033-0-47130200-1362372508_thumb.jpg

Rave because his registered name is Shiraz Black and Rave is short for Raven = Black,

Ashke, character out of a book, means beloved

The girls,

Kitt - her sire comes from Falconsnest Kennels and her name is Kitt Falke = concrete Falcon

Mikki - because it just came to me and I liked it

Tanty - registered name is Havin A Tanty because she would really crack them when she lost a nipple.

Mei Li my beautiful Princess poodle pronounced May Lee means beautiful in Chinese :) she gets Mei Li ac (as in Maniac) for her totally wild behaviour at times mostly Mei Mei.

Tai Zah my little 'Taz man' Shih tzu X Silky means 'big dog' in chinese pronounced Tie sar so named for his big personality in such a small body when he first came home.

post-34794-0-64453100-1362402184_thumb.jpg

post-34794-0-52210400-1362402230_thumb.jpg

Edited by zeebie

Pirate - When we had her litter the kids were 2 and 3yrs old and they named her Captain Feathersword as she had a patch over her eye. I didn't want to keep a brindle from the litter so I didn't mind what they called her, she ended up pick of the litter and we kept her so after a lot if negotiating with a 2 and 3yr old who loved the name we refined Captain Feathersword to Pirate....if you can call it refining. :laugh:

Edited by JOLEY

Monty was going to be Montague (I was 16 and in a 'oh how terribly romantic Shakespeare is' phase), but we got him and started calling him Monty and it stuck. Then my brother christened him Monty Christmas, which stuck too. And he also answers to Monty moo, which became just Moomoo and my son now calls him Booboo. Poor confused dog.

Atticus was my partners birthday present so he got naming rights, he was going to be Macbeth but it didn't suit him, so he became Atticus instead. Should you happen to think my partner is a great literary reader, the names actually came from pop punk band merchandise companies, not the play and book. But Atty really suits him :)

Next time I want a Dozer or a Tonka.

I was reading Heart of Darkness at the time and writing an essay on it when I got my puppy so named him Marlow after the character Charles Marlow. I was undecided until I got him and was still tossing up whether to call him Marlow or Worf (after the star trek character). He is a bit of a sook and Worf wouldn't have suited at all.

My 4 are...

Zed (or Zeddy) - the name just popped into my head while I was driving home with her, she answered to it, so it stuck.

Trouble - because she decided to climb under the seat in the car and get stuck while we were driving home with her.

Pickles - the lovely lady who found her unable to walk in an Aboriginal camp in the middle of the NT named her, and it suits.

Harper Jo - again, the name came into my head, and she answered to it.

My best effort was my first heart dog's name - Woosie - she was a Rotti, and just the most wonderful dog ever. We used to get strange looks in the park when I'd call "Woosie", and a 40kg Rotti comes bounding back to me... lol!

T.

Tonka, because we figured she would have to be Tonka tuff to recover from a neglected puppyhood.

Lily came with her name.

Being a foster carer, I get to name most animals and have come up with Hugo, Marie, Blake, Quinn, Sera, Caillie, Marissa, Jane, Gabriel and am currently calling my 30+kg foster pup Puppy.

I only have two dogs who live with me these days:

Tarni was named from her registered name, Jerojath Tarnagulla. It just sort of stuck.

Luna was named by the kids, after a character in the Harry Potter novels. She gets called Luna-tic mostly. :)

Just the 'pet' names:

Halley - named because she was a little ball of lightning with a long tail (named after Halley's Comet).

Cookie - She was a Dalmatian so Choc chip! (or smart Cookie or Cookie monster....)

Milou - Named after the dog in the Tin Tin cartoon. She is probably the only dog I had a name in mind for before I saw her the rest just 'came to me'

Liza-Jane - she came to me from her first foster home as Liza, but she was too blonde for such a strong name. Liza-Jane just 'stuck' (and so did she).

Hamish - My OH named him. It went something like this "You can name this one if you like, what do you want to call him?' (me thinking that being a French breed, and him being a French historian I was safe...). Him: "Hamish". Me: Oh....ok....what else do you have in mind?' Him: WHAT IS WRONG WITH HAMISH!. Me: backs away slowly.....

Grace - Not the name I had in mind at all, and she originally wasnt even the one I had my eye on, but after deciding she was the one to keep she 'named herself' instantly - after the song 'Pretty Amazing Grace' by Neil Diamond. Playing when Milou left me. Grace is a gift from her. Don't ask me how I know as I can't explain it.

Louise - another example of my OH's naming choices. No idea where the name came from. I didn't like it at first, and had decided to call her 'Lulu' in defiance but her name grew on me! She isn't a 'Lulu' at all.

Not mine, but best name ever I have heard is 'Taxi'. Try calling that at the dog park :laugh:

Edited by espinay2

Itoy my Lhasa Apso wasn named meaning puppy in the Philipinnes - (pronounced e-toy)

Suerti my dachshund x Maltese name means Lucky in the Philipinnes - (pronounced swerty)

My OH is filipino hence the names - LOL

We had a bulldog name Eric, I was pregnant at the time and OH called the bump Eric the halfabee, so we kept the name going. Next dog was a RSPCA dog and came with the name Hank, so I decided the universe wants me to have dogs with four letter names in alphabetical order. Next dog will probably be Kano, or Lila,

Rooster is Frankie after Rocky Horror and Lola the frizzle chook because I didn't know if he was a she. Sophia the ginger chook is beautiful like Sophia Loren and little Maybelle who weighs in at 900g is just dinky.

How did my dog get it's name.....

I gave it to him :rofl:

Sorry couldn't help myself...

Over the years I have just throught of names I like, come up with a short list, then once I see the puppy pick the one that suits the best :)