It's Not (just) About The Dog

Salukifan

A comment by Sky Soaring Magpie on the weekend has got me pondering this. She noted (not in as many words) that I'm prone to negative self- talk and that I have a great dog and should aim higher. She's right.

So I'm on a mission to improve my mental approach to show handling while continuing to work on my practical handling skills.

I thought I'd start this thread to discuss what makes a successful show handler . One thing that's become readily apparent to me over the last few years is that it's as much about the psychology of how successful handlers approach their showing as it is about the quality of the dog on the lead. You can say that about any dog related pursuit I reckon. That doesn't necessarily equate to judges judging the wrong end of the lead but, a good show handler does radiate both competence and confidence.

I know we have some absolutely gun handlers on this forum so hopefully they will contribute some insights into how they approach showing. It might also be useful for people to share their observations on the approach by the really successful handlers they've observe and to say what works for them.

How do people prepare mentally for the ring? What are they thinking in the ring? I'm reading a sports psychology book recommended to be me by SSM and one of the first observations it makes is that you have to set a success goal and walk in there and absolutely go after it. That doesn't necessarily mean you set out every weekend thinking "I'm going to win best in show" but you do need to set a goal and work towards it. It could be as simple as "I'm going to absolutely nail stacking my dog today and have perfectly straight lines on my out and back".

Another observation from the book as noted by SSM is that really successful people don't engage in negative talk about themselves OR THEIR COMPETITORS. That's a practice very common around the ring from my observation and one that I will admit to having indulged in from time to time. Personally I think it's one of the most negative aspects of the sport. For me it stops now.

Any hoo.. hopefully this will generate some discussion on the subject.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

one of the things that made a difference to me was being told, " I imagine your dog lives the life of Riley? all creature comforts supplied, loved and doted on? Then it's not too much to ask that he does what you want for a few minutes on the odd day out is it?" Smartened me right up. Though my daughter does most of the handling nowadays for me due to my back problems.

one of the things that made a difference to me was being told, " I imagine your dog lives the life of Riley? all creature comforts supplied, loved and doted on? Then it's not too much to ask that he does what you want for a few minutes on the odd day out is it?" Smartened me right up. Though my daughter does most of the handling nowadays for me due to my back problems.

I am blessed with a dog that enjoys the ring and is very focussed on me - that makes him a pleasure to show. :) What I ask for, he gives.

I am blessed with a dog that enjoys the ring and is very focussed on me - that makes him a pleasure to show. :) What I ask for, he gives.

the talk was more about my attitude to my dogs, I think I was being a bit soft :D

the talk was more about my attitude to my dogs, I think I was being a bit soft :D

So what is your attitude to winning? That's what I'd really like to focus on. How do you get into that space and stay there?

So what is your attitude to winning? That's what I'd really like to focus on. How do you get into that space and stay there?

well that pep talk did make me more positive, my whole bearing changed. I was stricter with the dog, presented him more confidently and I think it works. My mantra was, he might be a greyhound, but he's a good one, so give him the win!

This is mainly at group level cause we are often the only greyhound at breed level :)

OMG I agree with you Haredown Whippets!

I have really realised recently just how I have killed myself over the years with more than just my handling. It took the young girl who comes showing with me to really realise it. She is from a horse showing background but, until 12 months ago, had never shown dogs. She is a natural - she has beautiful poise and is very graceful when she moves and she seems to have an innate ability to work differently with different breeds. What really sets her apart from me is her complete and utter self-belief. She believes that she can win, she believes that her dog can win and she goes into the ring fully expecting that she will do well. She has won too - classes in group and RUIG and whilst she is a lovely winner she comes out of the ring with the confidence that she deserved to win. ETA she is also always wanting to learn more and will practice every tip she is given - I hadn't always done that but now strive to.

I will confess that I don't do that - I go in with the expectation that I will suck and I'm apologetic about my handling etc. :laugh: I have been working really hard on changing that though - to changing my self-talk, to change my body language etc and hope to see some improvement.

I think that the very best handlers have the things I see with Felicity and simply go on to hone them over the years. A natural feel for dogs, a natural grace of movement AND a humble sense of self-belief, if that makes sense?

Edited by Trisven13

Glad to see you in here Trisven!

I think there are definite advantages to cutting your teeth on competition before you are old and plagued by self doubt :laugh:

There is no question that some handlers have a natural affinity for dogs. Natural talent however, only gets you so far. There are lots of competitors with talent (and money for that matter) that never reach the pinnacle of success. Hard work and practice gets you further up the ladder but your mind state does seem to make a huge difference too.

I've got a book on the psychology of winning and one specifically about show handling. I"m about to get another.

It seems a bit funny sometimes that you can put so much time and effort into showing and yet not really get your mind into the game too. I have a feeling that its what keeps some folk who've been showing for years without much success out of the winners circle. It's something I plan to remedy.

I think its possible to be confident without being an @rsehole.

Been thinking :D I find it harder to show in the breed, I am guilty of just mooching around cause I am the only one, but that is what the judge might remember so I have to give myself a kick up the ........... and remember to show the dog to his best!

And I agree with Trisven13. It's been hard to change my handling style.

My daughter justs seems to float around the ring with the dogs, but her confidence needs to be built re stacking and my dogs have had to learn what she says goes as well :D

Ok, so what are the confidence builders??

My addiction to show suits is one of mine. I certainly prepare the dog to look his best and I think its makes you look more 'professional' to be well turned out. I feel better in a nice outfit and I'm starting to favour skirt suits, at least in decent weather. The old "dress for success" principle in action. Dress to show pride in your dog and respect for the judge or the occasion.

Having the right show "posse" I think also makes a difference. Being with people prepared to offer constructive criticism and who don't spend the day under little dark clouds of self pity for losses, jealousy or acrimony towards their fellow competitors helps. Negativity is contagious. :(

Yes I agree completely HW (again - :laugh: ). I feel dramatically better when I feel good about how I look and it tends to give me a bit of a boost - that confidence flows down the lead I think. Losing weight has also helped dramatically - I'm more confident in my appearance so I'm also more confident to move in ways I may not have previously. I also agree that the people you spend time with at a show really help - people who give you tips, who are genuinely happy for you when you do well (or at least are good at faking :laugh: ) and who are fun to be around. A gazebo with lots of laughs is a good one :thumbsup: .

ETA the biggest confidence booster for me has been people telling me that my dogs are looking good and complimenting me on the improvements I've made in my handling and my grooming and presentation of my dogs. I wish that I had more internal confidence boosters :o but my biggest ones have been external.

Edited by Trisven13

first and foremost...know the breed standard and how your dog fits it.

Be confident that your dog is a great example of the breed

Learn how to accentuate the positive and minimise the negatives

A full length mirror to practice in front of will be your best friend

Confidence and attitude. I am DEFINITELY a work in progress :laugh: I had a lightbulb moment not long ago. I realised that if I was going to win, I had to go into the ring as if I 'deserved' to win. For me that started by dressing to win and for the first time in probably forever, I wore a skirt in the ring (new spiffy show suit). It was more about attitude than what I was wearing IMO, but making the extra effort with my own appearance helped psych me into a better frame of mind and attitude. And wouldn't you know it, the very first time I did It I cracked RUBIG!!! :eek: (and followed up with a BIG not long after :cheer: ). Now THAT was an eye opener for me and confirmed that I really have to work on myself and what I do - how I present the dogs - so I can do them justice.

Next step is to work on 'stillness' - watching video of myself I have realised I am a mega fussy fiddler. And that sort of energy doesn't do the dogs any favours and frankly looks awful. One thing I notice from watching 'good' handlers is that element of confident stillness and precision. Any movement on their part is economical. They don't fuss with the dog and they dont rush the dog. So that is next on my list of things to work on.

Edited by espinay2

I used to be thoroughly intimidated by people in my breed. A lot of very professional type handlers with loads of attitude.

I would turn up at a show and see who was there and be beaten then.

One day sitting ringside watching these people I had what I call an epiphany. I was as good a handler as these people and my dog was as good as theirs. Since then I try to go into the ring with a positive attitude about myself and my dog.

It has helped me immensely. Not saying I have it all sorted, I definitely have issues that I am constantly working on. But that initial step was the important one.

I used to be thoroughly intimidated by people in my breed. A lot of very professional type handlers with loads of attitude.

I would turn up at a show and see who was there and be beaten then.

One day sitting ringside watching these people I had what I call an epiphany. I was as good a handler as these people and my dog was as good as theirs. Since then I try to go into the ring with a positive attitude about myself and my dog.

It has helped me immensely. Not saying I have it all sorted, I definitely have issues that I am constantly working on. But that initial step was the important one.

Yep, a lot of very experienced folk and talented handlers in Afghans.

Whippets too - but we don't necessarily have a many high profile handlers. Glad I'm not showing in Melbourne though - 60-70 isn't an unusual breed entry there in the bigger metro shows.

However your point about assuming you will be beaten before you enter the ring is a very good one and is something I tended to do. But not any more!!

Next step is to work on 'stillness' - watching video of myself I have realised I am a mega fussy fiddler. And that sort of energy doesn't do the dogs any favours and frankly looks awful. One thing I notice from watching 'good' handlers is that element of confident stillness and precision. Any movement on their part is economical. They don't fuss with the dog and they dont rush the dog. So that is next on my list of things to work on.

Yep, I get nervous and fuss.. and it definitely runs down the lead. From handling lessons, I know I'm supposed to place the dog's four legs and leave it the hell alone. And I will practice that a lot.

Watching video of yourself is invaluable.

I have just started doing this again. The trick is not to get all embarrassed watching yourself, but to watch what you and your dog are doing objectively.

HW I will have the video camera with me on Saturday. ;)

Watching video of yourself is invaluable.

I have just started doing this again. The trick is not to get all embarrassed watching yourself, but to watch what you and your dog are doing objectively.

HW I will have the video camera with me on Saturday. ;)

:eek:

Thank you but :eek:

:laugh: