Nightmares.....

PuddleDuck

Ours seems to dream of eating. No kidding. He will chomp and chew and lick his lips and then groan in the most satisfied way.

So funny. If it's related to intelligence we have a dunce on our hands...

:laugh:

I think that should be destined for YouTube!

Hey, he dreams of what he loves most. I bet he's dreaming of an overfilled litter tray and toast left on the coffee table.

I'll try catch it next time.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The worst one I knw of was a young dog who escaped his burning house by jumping through a (closed) window. he really did have bad nightmares !

Do you mean he really experienced the burning house and had bad dreams afterwards?

The worst one I knw of was a young dog who escaped his burning house by jumping through a (closed) window. he really did have bad nightmares !

Do you mean he really experienced the burning house and had bad dreams afterwards?

Yes.

apparently he would be in a real state and awaken the household :(

Yes Danny's D, I feel so sorry any dog that suffers bad nightmares in a regular basis. It must be scarey & very tiring too. I have often thought Stella must be so exhausted when she does wake after her frequent, reaccuring dreams as she gets so upset :(

Edited by BC Crazy

Cleo has dreams where she makes funny noises, like little grunts but higher pitched. She twitches at the same time. We just call out to her softly to bring her out of it as it doesn't sound nice or fun for her at all.

She also has normal dreams where she has little twitchies. She's cute when she sleeps :)

Yes Danny's D, I feel so sorry any dog that suffers bad nightmares in a regular basis. It must be scarey & very tiring too. I have often thought Stella must be so exhausted when she does wake after her frequent, reaccuring dreams as she gets so upset :(

It does sound like Stella gets them far more than Bear. We usually only get them every couple of months. That must mean Stella is smarter than Bear :)

Oh PD, don't know about that.... Sure she is really bright as I am sure Bear is as well. Stella is very highly strung though. I think that has lots to do with not being able to completely relax & sleep soundly at times. She's extremely sensitive to sound/noises. The slightest random noise & she jumps up, whining & running to investigate & that happens alot when you think she's asleep. So there's lots going on with her IMHO. She is the sweetest little girl. We love her to bits. She is a huge amount of dog though. Very complex. I am grateful I only have 1 of her, LOL.

Love the way your Bear adores your daughter. Thats just so sweet. Wonderful for both actually. Kids that grow up around animals make nicer, much more compassionate adults IMO too.

LOL, so funny the hair clips thing..... cracked me up :laugh:

Edited by BC Crazy

Yes.

apparently he would be in a real state and awaken the household :(

Oh that is sad. He was suffering PTSD :(

My golden retriever whines in her sleep. Most of the time it is minor but sometimes it sounds like she is whimpering. I usually just hug her or pat her and that seems to calm her down.

carefull odin, if its a really bad dream she could snap at you without realizing or waking up in time

My golden retriever whines in her sleep. Most of the time it is minor but sometimes it sounds like she is whimpering. I usually just hug her or pat her and that seems to calm her down.

carefull odin, if its a really bad dream she could snap at you without realizing or waking up in time

She has never been aggressive. It is more like a pitiful whining. Both my dogs are very used to being handled when they are sleeping. Mostly because they tend to sneak up on the bed and we have to move them in the middle of the night!!! My goldy seems to immediately sense when I or OH touch her. All we have to do is gently touch her and she stops whimpering.

Coincidence that this subject came up - Mickey (Min Pin) sleeps on my bed and in his 7+ years I've never heard him 'have a dream', always just bombs out. Two nights ago we were in bed, I was reading and Mick as usual sound asleep beside me. Suddenly he leapt up, snarling and snapping, just missed my arm. I grabbed him and it took a few seconds before he stopped being aggressive (which he never is). He then got the shakes and it took a while before he would settle again. Must have been a ripper of a nightmare!

I did a good old Google search & up came an article from Psychology Today's blog by Dr Stanley Coren (the bloke who did the work on intelligence in dogs). Do Dogs Dream.

So many of the things in it, bear out what posters have already said:

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/canine-corner/201010/do-dogs-dream

He even tells how you can tell when your dog starts to dream.

Edited by mita

Took this pic with my phone a few nights ago, Maddie sound asleep next to me on the lounge. She was yip yipping away in dreamland and when I looked at her I thought that's either a huge smile or someone is about to die :scared:

post-38965-0-68678800-1371594445_thumb.jpg

:eek: what big fangs you have Maddie!

When my Kelpie dreams she sometime has her back legs going or she whimpers... Lacey my Cav doesn't dream as much but when she does she only makes a noise for a minute or so then settles back down.

I did a good old Google search & up came an article from Psychology Today's blog by Dr Stanley Coren (the bloke who did the work on intelligence in dogs). Do Dogs Dream.

So many of the things in it, bear out what posters have already said:

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/canine-corner/201010/do-dogs-dream

He even tells how you can tell when your dog starts to dream.

Interesting article Mita, thanks for sharing :)

Ok I'm spending too much time with babies cos I saw that smile and though 'aw cute, I bet she's farting!' :rofl:

It's just a fart if you're lucky. You know that!

Baby poo faces are hilarious. Such concentration!