Rocket Has Gone Home!

ruthless

Copied from the Arctic Breed Rescue Facebook page, because they said it so well

ENDING BSL - ONE DOG AT A TIME

Picture this. There's a storm, part of your fence falls down. Your dog is spooked and flees to the safety of your front doorstep, waiting for for Mum & Dad to come home. Some dropkick reports your dog as being "on the loose" - on his own property, mind you - your dog is subsequently seized. To add insult to injury, your dog is then deemed to be a restricted breed.

The rollercoaster begins.

16 months later, one very dedicated owner, thousands in legal fees, wonderful legal representation, one unhappy Council (boofnhoo)... Rocket is reunited with Dad.

Rocket has not been allowed to see his family in over a year, but judging by that wide-ass smile on his face, he knows he is loved. He knows he is one of the lucky ones - who's family will fight to the death for him. If only all animals were as lucky.

July 13 will see a public rally, calling for the end to BSL, being held around Australia. ABR are proud supporters of this event, and will be sharing the details with you all.

For now just do a happy dance that this boy is home. I am!

1017587_465312693562226_305700403_n.jpg

Isn't that the most wonderful news.. :thumbsup:

I have seen the story on a few pages and every time I do, I get a bit choked up and get something in my eye..

I can't imagine someone taking my dog off me and keeping them from me for so long..

Hopefully his case will set a precedent and they will learn to NOT judge a dog by the way it looks..

thumbsup1.gif good news story thumbsup1.gif Does his owners still have to pay legal fees or did the council have to wear all costs?

I imagine the council will have to wear all the costs. That's what happened in previous wins.

In my opinion they should be made to pay compensation also.

SYDNEY - from Facebook

Saturday, July 13, 2013.

11:00am until 3:00pm.

Hyde Park to Martin Place, Sydney

11am: Meet at the corner of Elizabeth & Liverpool Sts (Hyde Park side of the street).

11:30am: Start our way to Martin Place amphitheatre.

12pm: speakers commence.

We have the amphitheatre until 3pm so we can chat & mingle after all speeches are done. Will be photo opportunities also

*** BANNERS TO BE NO BIGGER THAN 6 METRES & MUST NOT BE OFFENSIVE *** PLEASE LEAVE YOUR DOGS AT HOME ***

There will be children at this event so please be on your best behaviour!

Just saw Rocket on the news. I had to reach for the tissues too.

I just saw the video of Rocket coming home on the Bull Breeds in Need Facebook page.

I nearly ran out of tissues.

thumbsup1.gif good news story thumbsup1.gif Does his owners still have to pay legal fees or did the council have to wear all costs?

I imagine the council will have to wear all the costs. That's what happened in previous wins.

In my opinion they should be made to pay compensation also.

When Rocket's case went to the Supreme Court, the council more or less gave up, and agreed to go back to VCAT for a re hearing after the decision (win) in favour of Baby (Rapta. Dudas v Monash CC) and Cardinia did agree to pay costs for Rockets legal fees with the Supreme Court. (Baby was the first appeal to the Supreme court regarding a restricted breed declaration with the current laws.)

The new VCAT hearing was a new set of costs and was very costly, however with VCAT hearing, costs are very rarely awarded . No other dog that has won in VCAT has recovered costs.

This just highlights another area where this legislation is so unfair. The council can seize your dog, hold on to it for months on end claiming the dog is a restricted breed, and even when the dog is cleared, and VCAT set aside the declaration made by the council, the owners are not able to get their costs back.

In Rocket's case, we actually had to pay for 2 VCAT hearings. Even though the first one was taken to be wrong, and a new hearing ordered by the Supreme court, the two hearings in VCAT still had to be paid for..

Because councils go into VCAT hearings armed with Barristers and Solicitors, it is now necessary for owners to do the same, hence the cost of a vcat appeal is very expensive. Vcat have now also introduced extra fees, and the whole process is just out of control.

Who knows though, there is a first time for everything, or so they say. :3monkeys:...