Widget: From Big Belly To Babies!

Kirislin

Congrats!! thumbsup1.gif

So pleased all is well. So happy for you and Neko and welcome to the world gorgeous puppies. cheer.gif

So relieved for you. Now you can enjoy them - no doubt not much will get done as you watch them grow and develop smile.gif

I've been reading and waiting and reading and waiting and WOW! I'm sorry Neko needed a cesar but it was clearly for the best. And you only had 2 heartbeats and images because fatty boombah was taking over in there!

Can't wait to see pics of the new bubbas and hope Neko takes to motherhood well and heals quickly from her surgery.

hi everyone, thanks for all the good wishes. Neko and her 3 babies, 3! I still cant get over it, are doing well. She's an amazing Mum especially considering she went to sleep and woke up with these little aliens on her. I've only bred 3 litters and 2 of them have been caesars now so my record isn't great there.

I think last night would have to go down as one of the most stressful in my life. The awful dilemma you are placed in. Do you let her try to whelp naturally and risk loosing a puppy, or perhaps all of them, and even her, then again, she might get them all out OK, or do you go for a caesar before the birthing has progressed too far and still risk loosing the mother due to the risk of surgery?

After frantic discussions on the phone with Marcus who was driving up, we opted for the caesar.

I knew what to expect regarding the distressing image of seeing your beloved dog on her back with her stomach cut open and puppies being pulled out. My friend Iggy Mum was there for me and Neko and we were each handed a puppy to rub to life and get breathing. While we were occupied with that, and it's pretty frantic and stressful, I suddenly heard IM say," is there another one?" and I thought dont be silly, of course not, then I glanced over and saw the tiniest puppy I've ever seen being held by the other attending vet. I couldn't believe my eyes, but I was so busy with the ones we had and it seemed lifeless to me so I just said "it's dead" and tried to focus on what we were doing, then we were brought over a third to keep us occupied while the vets stitched up my Neko. They went from being these wet still lifeless little forms to writhing squeaking tiny puppies in the space of a minute or so, but it's a pretty tense minute.

Now that I've had some time to look at them I can tell you, the first born, the sable girl is almost the image of her mother. Not quite black, but looks it until you get a real black beside her. The markings are almost identical to Neko, the white chest and white feet. She weighed 225gms I think, pretty much the same as Neko at birth too.

Then the huge big black boy who if Neko whelped naturally would have been first born and almost certainly caused massive problems, with a pretty good chance of being born dead, and maybe taking the other 2 with him, weighing 300gms he's the biggest IG puppy the breeder has known of in her lines in all her years of breeding. It doesn't necessarily translate to him being big as an adult, that's a wait and see.

and lastly the secret little girl that I couldn't find, hidden up high where the experienced breeders told me she might be, but I didn't believe them, I didn't have a bit of doubt there were only 2 puppies, I'm so happy I was wrong, the tiny almost all black little girl. She was a bit slow to start to suckle, she did a bit last night but today was slow and I was worried for a while, but she seems to have it all sorted now and it plumping up beautifully and pushing and shoving with the other 2, and she's claimed one of the biggest teats low down so she'll get plenty of milk. I think she will be a plucky little girl.

I wanted to get similar shots to Widgets litter, of Marcus holding the day old puppies, but we left it too late, we were all too tired and grumpy to persevere. I didn't want to take them out of the room to somewhere with better light and upset Neko all for the sake of a photo. Oh well, hopefully I will get better ones tomorrow when we've all had some seriously needed sleep.

Hello world

first born, sable girl (Neko look alike)

24705331515_bbaf054245_c.jpg5F6A4936dppt by kirislin, on Flickr

we had lots of "Jazz hands" last night

24078481683_c8e6f19680_c.jpg5F6A4938dppt by kirislin, on Flickr

No cameras please!

24611817441_9ebc5e269e_c.jpg5F6A4940dppt by kirislin, on Flickr

big boofa boy

24679117836_c42b6b8d5e_c.jpg5F6A4943dppt by kirislin, on Flickr

24077152904_b9a44de972_c.jpg5F6A4945dppt by kirislin, on Flickr

Last born, the secret girl, tiny at 170gms

24611805241_a0d642f61b_c.jpg5F6A4949dppt by kirislin, on Flickr

24705320595_a5d4788041_c.jpg5F6A4950dppt by kirislin, on Flickr

24337643019_aa1bc5204c_c.jpg5F6A4951dppt by kirislin, on Flickr

24679111426_4a726f131e_c.jpg5F6A4953dppt by kirislin, on Flickr

24337636489_2e92a06f28_c.jpg5F6A4954dppt by kirislin, on Flickr

Edited by Kirislin

Beautiful puppies, congratulations :) You've done really well in stressful circumstances and should feel good about your choices now that everyone is safe and well.

I had a tiny GSD puppy born in my last litter - 250g or thereabouts . He thrived on his own with very minimal intervention (I made sure he was plugged in for the first few days but that's all) and was the same size as his litter mates by 6 weeks.