Importing Dogs Into Australia

DesertDobes

Well I have fallen in love with a breed over the internet (Beauceron), and was wondering for those of you who have imported dogs,

How do you get in contact with a good breeder overseas and know that they are a good breeder and have good dogs?

what is involved before the Australian quarantine requirements like rabies vaccine and quarantine?

What extra costs are involved and are purebred dogs a similar price internationally as they are here in Aust?

If you import a dog that is not currently in Australia, how does the breed get registered with the ANKC?

Is visiting the breeder overseas a norm?

How do you get in contact with a good breeder overseas and know that they are a good breeder and have good dogs?

You watch them in breed forums online, and you get introductions and you visit them in person. Try "related" breeds here in Australia too for referrals, most Saluki people here can recommend someone they would try for a Sloughi for example.

what is involved before the Australian quarantine requirements like rabies vaccine and quarantine?

The dog has to do 150 days after the rabies vacc and titre test before it can depart from most countries. This means either finding a breeder prepared to run the dog on, or finding a friend in the country prepared to have the dog for 4-5months, and either way - probably boarding fees of some kind. You really need a good agent, as it's hellishly complicated and includes locating government vets to stamp paperwork and different vaccs at different times.

What extra costs are involved and are purebred dogs a similar price internationally as they are here in Aust?

The prices are similar in as much as they vary a lot. For many the price is the relationship, not the cash. Best case scenario you are probably not getting much change out of 10K all up for the dog and getting it here.

If you import a dog that is not currently in Australia, how does the breed get registered with the ANKC?

Can't help with that but I would try talking to the Azawakh people in Melbourne as they recently did it.

IMO you would be nuts not to unless you have some other way of confirming that you are getting exactly what you think you are. Testicles, teeth and temperament really need to be checked in person, if not by you, then by someone you trust.

Edited because I can't count :laugh:

Edited by SkySoaringMagpie

You watch them in breed forums online, and you get introductions and you visit them in person. Try "related" breeds here in Australia too for referrals, most Saluki people here can recommend someone they would try for a Sloughi for example.

The dog has to do 150 days after the rabies vacc and titre test before it can depart from most countries. This means either finding a breeder prepared to run the dog on, or finding a friend in the country prepared to have the dog for 4-5months, and either way - probably boarding fees of some kind. You really need a good agent, as it's hellishly complicated and includes locating government vets to stamp paperwork and different vaccs at different times.

The prices are similar in as much as they vary a lot. For many the price is the relationship, not the cash. Best case scenario you are probably not getting much change out of 10K all up for the dog and getting it here.

Can help with that but I would try talking to the Azawakh people in Melbourne as they recently did it.

IMO you would be nuts not to unless you have some other way of confirming that you are getting exactly what you think you are. Testicles, teeth and temperament really need to be checked in person, if not by you, then by someone you trust.

Totally agree with the no change out of 10K !! You also have to be prepared for the possibility of spending that small fortune on a dog that you may not even be able to breed on from for one reason or another. I'm a member of the 'expensive pets' club.

To have the breed recognised here you will have to actually import one of the breed & obtain an FCI export pedigree for the dog. The ANKC won't even consider your application without AQIS proof that the dog has arrived in the Country.

Cheers.

Can help with that but I would try talking to the Azawakh people in Melbourne as they recently did it.

Totally agree with the no change out of 10K !! You also have to be prepared for the possibility of spending that small fortune on a dog that you may not even be able to breed on from for one reason or another. I'm a member of the 'expensive pets' club.

To have the breed recognised here you will have to actually import one of the breed & obtain an FCI export pedigree for the dog. The ANKC won't even consider your application without AQIS proof that the dog has arrived in the Country.

Cheers.

Does sound expensive but I've owned horses all my life and that is REALLY expensive lol.

Thanks for the info on ANKC breed recognition, that's what it would all come down to really. So am I right in thinking that importing an adult dog is a safer bet than a six month old puppy? I guess like in Australia adult dogs don't change hands very often but I know in the Dobes that others have imported proven adults (which would have a heftier price tag attached too).

The Beauceron has it's ears cropped in many countries, if I was looking to buy an adult to show in Aust it would have to be natural so I guess that limits where the dog can come from?

As far as I am aware you couldn't get a 6 month old puppy here anyway because of the rabies vax stuff, the earliest they can be here is 9 months (unless they're coming from one of the very few rabies free places) so will be a pretty big dog by then anyway! I have a friend that has imported a number of dogs from Sweden and she went and stayed with the breeder for a few weeks when they were competing in agility in Europe so they had a chance to meet her, and the dogs she was getting. She has since gotten two more, but didn't go to meet them.. Just trusted the breeder would send nice ones :)

Good luck, the beauceron is a breed I have been interested in too (also a dobe person lol)

Personally for a rare breed i would be flying to one of there National shows to decide if its a breed i want & what the future plan is .

Are you wanting to breed?

Do you want a show dog only ??

Then i would be looking at the kennels that could be of great assistance for a future plan or at the very least be great mentors from a distance.

We have imported & lets just say we got sent a lemon so it buyer beware .

As for breed reconigition this is the hard part because if they decline which they can you have a "pet".

If you bring out a mature dog the process doesn't happen quickly could be a year or more before its accepted so age of the import is something to factor with acceptance

As far as I am aware you couldn't get a 6 month old puppy here anyway because of the rabies vax stuff, the earliest they can be here is 9 months (unless they're coming from one of the very few rabies free places) so will be a pretty big dog by then anyway! I have a friend that has imported a number of dogs from Sweden and she went and stayed with the breeder for a few weeks when they were competing in agility in Europe so they had a chance to meet her, and the dogs she was getting. She has since gotten two more, but didn't go to meet them.. Just trusted the breeder would send nice ones :)

Good luck, the beauceron is a breed I have been interested in too (also a dobe person lol)

:dunce: oops I was thinking of the 150 days as being from birth. I wonder if I can convince hubby of an overseas holiday to look at expensive dogs? I've been saying no to a new motorbike for years, looks like that might bite me on the behind lol.

Anyway I just love the look of the Beauceron being very Dobe like and a sport breed, and I've read some good things about their tracking ability. It's probably all pie in the sky but a girl can dream :)

Personally for a rare breed i would be flying to one of there National shows to decide if its a breed i want & what the future plan is .

Are you wanting to breed?

Do you want a show dog only ??

Then i would be looking at the kennels that could be of great assistance for a future plan or at the very least be great mentors from a distance.

We have imported & lets just say we got sent a lemon so it buyer beware .

As for breed reconigition this is the hard part because if they decline which they can you have a "pet".

If you bring out a mature dog the process doesn't happen quickly could be a year or more before its accepted so age of the import is something to factor with acceptance

Yeah, I'm worried about getting a lemon, thats why I was wondering how people here would pick a breeder in a different country. At least I like dog sports too which I could enter on an associate register I assume.

As for breeding, put it this way, I'm not interested in breeding the dogs I have at the moment because I have a breeder I love and she gets to do all the hard work with raising puppies :laugh: but if I went to the trouble of importing and did land a good dog I would consider it if it were possible.

Personally in your caes i would flying over to meet breeders & seeing there dogs .

I wouldn't go to all that expense for a "one off" & hope the price tag meet my expectations .

The only other way i would consider is if i had someone very offay in the breed & new what i was after to look on my behalf

Thanks to this thread I just wasted an hour wikipedia-ing Beauceron, following the little blue links and ended up watching 'French ring sport' videos on youtube.laugh.gif

I've got lots of work to do but get sucked into the same trap, although I've been watching clips of Beauceron specialty shows and tracking trials!

Personally in your caes i would flying over to meet breeders & seeing there dogs .

I wouldn't go to all that expense for a "one off" & hope the price tag meet my expectations .

The only other way i would consider is if i had someone very offay in the breed & new what i was after to look on my behalf

Yeah, I guess I'll have a think about doing that. Unfortunately I don't have any contacts with the breed so would be going in cold so to speak.

Try Facebook there is a facebook group I found with Beaus on it it's a Vietnam one but it is awesome. There is also lady in New Zealand with a harlequin Beau that I think imported from the UK.I have been a fan of the Beau for ages they are incredible but from what I have found out they mature slowly and they are tireless workers sort of like Mals in some ways.

--Lhok

Try Facebook there is a facebook group I found with Beaus on it it's a Vietnam one but it is awesome. There is also lady in New Zealand with a harlequin Beau that I think imported from the UK.I have been a fan of the Beau for ages they are incredible but from what I have found out they mature slowly and they are tireless workers sort of like Mals in some ways.

--Lhok

Really?! Yeah I've seen the NZ facebook beauceron and that kennel is from the UK.

I'll have to have a look at what the page is called and I'll send it too you. If you want a good place to start http://www.overhill.co.uk/ Overhill might be a good place. They have some pretty nice Akitas too. It's the place I first learned about the Beaus. Also if you do import one I would love to come and have a look maybe even a cuddle. :D

--Lhok

The facebook group is Beauceron VN - Beauceron in the world.

Also about cropping all you would need to do is talk to the breeder before about keeping the ears natural. A number of breeders stated that they would do that if that is what the owner wanted.

Edited by Lhok

I'll have to have a look at what the page is called and I'll send it too you. If you want a good place to start http://www.overhill.co.uk/ Overhill might be a good place. They have some pretty nice Akitas too. It's the place I first learned about the Beaus. Also if you do import one I would love to come and have a look maybe even a cuddle. :D

--Lhok

The facebook group is Beauceron VN - Beauceron in the world.

Also about cropping all you would need to do is talk to the breeder before about keeping the ears natural. A number of breeders stated that they would do that if that is what the owner wanted.

Thanks Lhok,I'll have a look at the facebook site. I spent this morning looking at all the UK breeders, overhill is the oldest by the looks of it (2004) but there are about 4 others who are registered breeders. Most have imported dogs in the past 4 years so still relatively new breed to UK even. I need to find out what all the titles are over there and in Europe, seems like the Brits take their dogs to France and Belgium to show them and do the equivalent of a working aptitude test. Then they get graded rather than earning points in shows.

You can be first in line for a cuddle, might be quite a while waiting though :laugh: I noticed that 2 of the 5 UK kennels have gone from Dobes to Beaucerons which is interesting.

Are you talking about Bonitations? They are done while the dog is growing and then as an evaluation of breeding quality I think.

Another couple of things I have read about them is that they seem to have a noise shyness. Not all of them would but I have heard they can be quite sensitive to Thunderstorms.

The Beau was one of the founding dogs for the Dobie I believe, I could be wrong though but apparently Louis Dobermann used a black and tan french herding breed.

--Lhok