How Do You Like Your Dogs?

raineth

Dory: Is very needy when she's at home. When we are out and about she's pretty independant, especially down at dog parks or visiting friends etc. You would hardly know who owns her. She's very friendly with people she is familiar with, most of these are people she is very good at manipulating for tummy rubs and pats...probably why she likes them so much. :laugh: She can be a bit pushy with the human 'friends' she has...always nudging them and pawing at them, because they always comply to her demand.

Willow: Still working Willow out. She ADORES other people, there just are no bad people in her world. Wiggle butt, slobber monster. She prefers people to other dogs. At home she swings between very busy, nosey and boisterous especially when the cats are free roaming the house. And then she can collapse into a pile of readiness for anythings...which she conceals nicely as...'resting'. (the little devil) She will cruise past for pats from time to time. Out in the yard she likes to come and lean against you when I'm reading on the verandah...interspersed with wiggle butting for next doors dog. I enjooy those moments when she leans on you.

Willow's not as cuddly as I was hoping for, but there are a lot of times I'm happier that she is the way she is. It gets too competitive otherwise. Out on the training field she is pretty good, loves to work with you (although that streak of independence is starting to creep in...my puppy is growing up :cry:). I do feel like we are getting a stronger bond as time goes on.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest hankodie

My 2 are total polar opposites of each other. Odie is stubborn and SO bossy. Anything new I teach her she will challenge in typical bulldog fashion and is often met with a look that says "why the f*** should I?" :laugh: She's a huge busy body, always wanting to meet everyone and everything and loves to be the centre of attention. She's very easily excited and aroused. Training her has been a HUGE challenge, probably one of the most challenging experiences of my life I think.

Hank the golden puppy is the polar opposite. He is very soft and gentle and just loves to be around whatever's going on, not necessarily taking part in it but just happy to sit and watch. He is a big goofy dumb dumb head which makes him a pleasure to train :laugh: he's highly affectionate all the time, if you so much as look at him he will roll over onto his back with a big grin on his face.

Hank is the sort of dog I can take to the park and he will happily chew on sticks by my side while I read a book. Odie is the sort of dog I take out with me when I want to achieve something that day (or fail trying!)

Both have/are teaching me a lot about patience and friendship and I adore both in very different ways :)

I like 'em happy and independent. That said, I've only had one dog, so he's possibly shaped my expectations more than I shaped his behaviour :p

James is in madly love with the world -- every dog and human is his new best friend -- and I really wouldn't have it any other way. After having him, I find the idea of owning an even slightly stand-offish dog very unappealing. He's not especially snuggly or physically affectionate (although over time he's grown used to being pulled onto the same couch as me for a cuddle . . . for a few minutes, at least). As his person, he's very attached to me but he's not glued to my heels - I very much love that about him. A Velcro dog would get annoying fast.

Cleo is very independent. I've always wanted a snuggly dog, but I've got the most un-cuddly dog possible. It's like she tolerates hugs, but barely. That's not to say she's not loving though. I get HUGE smiles every day (those who know dallies will be familiar with that) and she does a little hop-skip walk around us but she won't sit at our feet, she won't lie still on the bed (one reason she sleeps in a crate, she doesn't like our bed) she just wont sit still full stop.

We have an amazing relationship though, we read each other very well and my does she know how to push my buttons.

If I need my snuggly dog fix, I visit my parents. They have a mini schnauzer boy that will run and leap into my lap to curl up and snuggle. He also will just walk in to the house and lie down at your feet, so very different to Cleo! (but opposites attract because these two are BEST friends!)

I have one of each - Friskie is a snuggler and wants constant contact - a total velcro dog and I would prefer her to be a bit less dependent. Perry is very self contained and independent and I would like her to be a bit cuddlier.

Edited by Perry's Mum

Our heart dogs have been referred to as being a mirror of our personalities. Stussy is all attention seeking, love me, love me, love me, whatya doin?, drama llama like her mummy (me) while Wolf is a bit of a watcher and waiter, pat me but only where I want it and where I want it, act your age and not your shoe size but if you are caught being stoopid just roll your eyes and tell them to get over it just like her mummy (my sister). Then we have our little Doodle Bug, Tempeh. She seems to belong to all of us, human and fur. After a year of living here she is still learning new things and she has helped all of us to be a bit more nurturing and understanding. She is constantly asking questions and expressing concern (she's a talker!) and if anything is a bit out of the ordinary the ranks rally around her. I love that she has brought out a new side in all of us. She gives all of us a lot of joy and laughs. In a way she has turned us into a family, with her being the new baby that we have all bonded over.

I'm so used to my Pug being stuck to me like glue that I'd probably feel a bit hurt if my next dog was really independent :laugh:

The snugglers are my favourite, definitely :D

+1

Jager HAS to be with you if you are home. But i wouldnt call him "needy" as long as he is with you, he is happy. Curled up on the lounge, on my feet if I am on the computer, snuggled in next to me in bed.

He is a mummy's boy though. On the odd occassion that he choses to nap in his own bed or snuggle on the couch with my OH I get a little offended. Its nice having a little shadow that I know is always there. I will never be lonely :)

I think Malinois are one of the most affectionate dogs out there, but generally only to their people. My girl will say hello to other people and she's friendly but not interested past an initial greeting.

This is typical of all the Belgian Shepherd varieties. Our Groenendael loves her family, she is affectionate & loving & likes nothing better than to be with us. With strangers she will be stand offish on her territory until she gets to know them, while in public places she is friendly, happy to accept pats but not pushy. I also find she will favour some people more than others - Belgians are very intuitive :)

She is my ideal dog, she is confident, not needy but self-contained, does not seek out the company of other dogs when out with us..... very different to our Kelpie who turns himself inside out to say hello to all & sundry & finds self control a very difficult exercise :laugh:

Guest Maeby Fünke

I'm so used to my Pug being stuck to me like glue that I'd probably feel a bit hurt if my next dog was really independent :laugh:

The snugglers are my favourite, definitely :D

+1

Jager HAS to be with you if you are home. But i wouldnt call him "needy" as long as he is with you, he is happy. Curled up on the lounge, on my feet if I am on the computer, snuggled in next to me in bed.

He is a mummy's boy though. On the odd occassion that he choses to nap in his own bed or snuggle on the couch with my OH I get a little offended. Its nice having a little shadow that I know is always there. I will never be lonely :)

Me either. My Pug and I are like two peas in a pod. We do everything together.

I've had a confident, independent, one person because I like this one and the rest if you are irrelevant dog and now I've got Velcro, anxious, one person because I only know this person and will freak out if anyone else thinks about me dog so I think I'd like confident, Velcro and functionally one family kind of dog. I would like some of that "what do you want me to do now" stuff that BC's seem to come with but I'd need an off switch. I'd also like some of the laid back elegance of the greyhounds but I definitely would keep the bull dog squishy cuddles, Jakes just one moving snuggle looking for a place to happen.

I'd like a combination between our two.

Collie will follow you around the house and loves his cuddles but he gets whiny as well which gets very annoying, if you tell him to be quiet it only makes him louder. We're currently practicing ignoring him when he's being annoying but it's requiring a lot of patience. Plus sometimes he'll start whining mid cuddle and you don't always realise it's happening :p. On the other side he's a very happy and confident boy, loves his ball, exploring the great outdoors and playing with other dogs which usually results in him rolling on his back with a big goofy grin.

Sarah is a lot less needy, as long as she's in the same room as you she'll be happy curled up on her bed. I'll often leave her asleep in the lounge room to go to the back of the house and the next thing I know I'll see her curled up on her other bed at the back - it's very cute. And while it seems she doesn't need as many cuddles she will still fall asleep on top of me when I bring her onto the couch for cuddles. But being a product of 7 years in a puppy farm Sarah is not very confident, we're working on it and she'll warm up to new people and experiences but I think it's always going to take longer with her.

Sarah's capacity to learn is incredible though and she's always willing to please. She was racing toward me down the wooden floor board hallway one day and for some reason I didn't want her down the back of the house, a quick 'UH' from me and she plants her arse on the ground and skids to a halt :laugh:

Leah82, your 2 guys sound kinda similar to ours. My needy girl is to the extreme along with anxiety sky high at times though. Minus that fact I often think the " perfect" dog would be a clone of both mine mixed together as well. So we have got the best of worlds really

:)

Edited by BC Crazy

Leah82, your 2 guys sound kinda similar to ours. My needy girl is to the extreme along with anxiety sky high at times though. Minus that fact I often think the " perfect" dog would be a clone of both mine mixed together as well. So we have got the best of worlds really

:)

Definitely the best of both worlds. Wouldn't swap them for the world, and it helps that they are so adorable together :D

My Lab x is OMG Everything in this world is AMAZING and I LOVE everybody and everything but if he's settled down for a sleep he huffs if he is bothered.

My elderly Dane quite independent but loves cuddles when offered and will demand them when she wants them.

Our new Dane pup is a major snuggler but not overly interested in other people and other dogs - which I love - hopefully he stays that way!

Edited by sas

My oldest BC girl is a very independant, workaholic type. She is REALLY not into cuddles and will put up with being patted but will lean away and look very put upon while you do it. I don't like this in a dog at ALL, she is too aloof and we don't get along very well. She is a fantastic dog to work with though, I have done heaps of different sports with her and she is very good at everything she has tried. Sometimes I forget and cuddle her and offend her greatly :(

My next oldest BC is not a cuddler either. She likes attention/interaction and will follow me about and will nudge for pats, but doesn't do lap sitting etc. So when I talked to Gael's breeder originally I said I want a dog for agility and tracking but really above all I MUST have a cuddly dog. I got my cuddly dog, I adore her, she is very velcro, needy, in my face on my lap as often as she can be. She loves all her people friends too and feels they need many cuddles. She likes to sit on people's laps at agility shows and poke her nose down their tops and inhale noisily:("you smell so nice my lovely friend").

The Brittany is also a snuggler and a heat-seeking snuggler at that, and refuses to contemplate sitting by herself when there is a lap to sleep on. She is very affectionate but more with her family than like Gael with everyone. She is the sort of dog where you go outside to take the recycling out and she is overjoyed at your return as if you had been gone for hours. It is very cute and so I forgive her occasional naughtiness.

Cuddly is the MOST important thing to me :thumbsup:

My oldest BC girl is a very independant, workaholic type. She is REALLY not into cuddles and will put up with being patted but will lean away and look very put upon while you do it. I don't like this in a dog at ALL, she is too aloof and we don't get along very well. She is a fantastic dog to work with though, I have done heaps of different sports with her and she is very good at everything she has tried. Sometimes I forget and cuddle her and offend her greatly :(

My next oldest BC is not a cuddler either. She likes attention/interaction and will follow me about and will nudge for pats, but doesn't do lap sitting etc. So when I talked to Gael's breeder originally I said I want a dog for agility and tracking but really above all I MUST have a cuddly dog. I got my cuddly dog, I adore her, she is very velcro, needy, in my face on my lap as often as she can be. She loves all her people friends too and feels they need many cuddles. She likes to sit on people's laps at agility shows and poke her nose down their tops and inhale noisily:("you smell so nice my lovely friend").

The Brittany is also a snuggler and a heat-seeking snuggler at that, and refuses to contemplate sitting by herself when there is a lap to sleep on. She is very affectionate but more with her family than like Gael with everyone. She is the sort of dog where you go outside to take the recycling out and she is overjoyed at your return as if you had been gone for hours. It is very cute and so I forgive her occasional naughtiness.

Cuddly is the MOST important thing to me :thumbsup:

:rofl::thumbsup::rofl: Obviously is a Border Collie owner thing because this could well have been written by my friend :thumbsup: . She just can't fathom how I can stand to have my independent dogs with poor recall (a breed trait) and I find hers so boringly obedient and, when I visit, wish they would leave me the hell alone. :laugh: Isn't it fabulous that there are breeds to suit all our personalities?

Out of interest - how many here are the same with dogs as they are with people in terms of what they like? I also can't stand to have people in my space unless I invite it and, much to my husband's distress, really don't enjoy sitting and snuggling on the lounge - give me my space please!

I like dogs that enjoy cuddling and like sleeping under the blankets with me, and having always owned Dobermans up until now that has always been fulfilled :thumbsup: Elsie is a BC/JRT and is very snuggly and cuddly, but can sometimes be too active to really enjoy a good cuddle, but then again I really enjoy her active, cheeky personality, she is a bit of a monkey really and always up for doing anything with me.

We had a German Shepherd growing up, and I found him quite boring, like he had no personality... He was always well behaved, but if you didn't 'need' him to do something he would always sit outside on the porch and watch the street. Brilliantly well behaved dog, but not my cup of tea.

I'm enjoying reading about all your dogs and what everyone likes in a dog.

I guess for me I would be happy with getting either a Digby or a Del again, or something in between. I wouldn't want a dog that was really never up for a cuddle or being close; and I probably wouldn't want a dog that was very needy. Del is quite good insofar that she is fairly independent really: she is happy to be sleeping or doing her own thing a lot of the time, but when it comes to interaction, she puts everything into it, and she's always up for it.

I do like that Digby is quite uninterested in others as it just makes life easier for me as those things aren't really temptations for him. I can walk him through people without worrying he will approach them. If I walk Del in close proximity to people I have to ask her to heel or she will mug them :o

I think I prefer 'cat like' dogs ....

What do you mean by this Pers?

Do you mean affection on their terms, or dogs that like to be on your lap?