How Do You Like Your Dogs?

raineth

I have two dogs here who are kind of polar opposites in some ways.

Delta is so affectionate. Pretty much every interaction involves her communicating how much she loves you and wants to be close to you. She's like this with all the family, and is especially affectionate with anyone who is sick.

My boy dog, Digby is more the 'strong and silent' type. He enjoys just being with you and the odd belly scratch. Every time you look at him his tail goes thump, thump, thump. But he is not demonstrative like Del.

So I'm wondering, what sort of dog do you have? Do you like the super affectionate snugglers or the strong and silent types?

Do people think that these traits are generally related to other temperamental traits? I know Digby is naturally more calm and lazy and Del is more emotional and seems to feel emotions more strongly, She generally thinks a lot of things are really wonderful and can be a bit of a "sunshine and lollipops" kind of dog.

ETA haha snugglers not smugglers!

Edited by raineth

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Snugglers but not needy. Cuddle for a bit then go off on their own business types. Friendly but mostly uninterested in people they don't know, but madly enthusiastic about long time friends. Active enough to always be up for a walk or gallop, but happy to sleep 20 hours a day if that's how it goes. A little snooty, quite sensitive, but trusting and reliable, go along with anything you ask but often with a look of skepticism. Very joyful and loving but like to remind me they have their own views on things. It is exactly how I like my dogs. I just couldn't live with velcro needy dogs, that would drive me insane!

As for whether its from nature or nurture, its both to me.

Edited by Diva

Emmy - is more serious and standoffish at first but once she gets to know you (and likes you), she is the most sweetest and cuddliest dog you will ever meet. She mirrors my emotions but at the same time she is very protective of her pack. Emmy rarely get in trouble, she is a people pleaser and doesn't believe in breaking rules and her world will fall apart if we even look at her disapprovely. She can spend hours cuddling.

Skeeter - is happy, independent, outgoing and is a total social butterfly. Everyone is his new best friend, they just don't know that yet!! He is my gentle giant, but at the same time, he protects his pack. Since I got pregnant, he has shown his protective side when he feels that me and the baby are in danger but its very rare to see that side of him. Saying that, he is the biggest goofball... I seriously laugh at/with him every single day. Skeeter isnt much of a people pleaser but he will do things I tell him if he knows he gets something out of it, he is generally happy with life and doesn't need us to make him happy.

Not sure which I prefer.. both are so different and I get different things from them.

Edited by W Sibs

I like my dogs on toast :eek: :laugh:

Seriously I just love dogs & cats.

Mine are always snuggly, cuddly types probably because I make them that way. My dogs are like my extra legs except when sleeping or exhausted but if a dog was independent & more aloof I would accept that that is just the nature of that dog.

However never had one like that. I think I make them silly :)

My 2 are opposites in most ways. I adore them both to bits :heart:

Sonny is a very calm, lay back boy with a very beautiful soul. A very genuine boy. He is affectionate when he wants to be but must you do things in his order. You have to have a game first , then cuddle. He isn't a real tail

wager either. Loves a big pat though. He can be rather aloof. So if he is lying on his bed he & you walk into the room he will lift his paw up & make noise to get your attention for a pat but he wont move most times.

Too comfy :o He is very smart but can be a bit stubborn to train at times if he just doesn't want to do something that is asked of him he will bark right at you in annoyance.

Stella is adorable. She is fiercely loyal . Very loving. Totally devoted to us. She loves a snuggle. First thing in the morning for a least half an hour that's all she wants to do. Talks her head off at you. She is a real tail

wager. She nearly turns herself inside out wagging it. She is super smart. Lightening fast learner. All Stella wants to do is please me. Most times you only have to show her once & she's got it down. She is extremely driven.

She will train any time, any where. Unfortunately Stella has a very nervous,anxious temperament which has caused both her & us lots of grief. We cope with that on a day by day basis with medication & close supervision.

IMHO I think because Sonny is calm, stable & very centred within himself he isn't possibly as in need of us emotionally as Stella is if that makes any sense. She has to near us or know where we are at all times before she will

settle.

Both mine compliment each perfectly. Sonny being so emotionally stable Stella can emotionally bounce off Sonny all day long for reassurance. She will shoot him one of her panic looks, say she heard a noise half a block away & he

is like, "its cool Stella, don't worry about it" :laugh: He is the one that has really helped her with her confidence as well. Stella has taught Sonny how to party big time. Let go & be looney. She is up for a game with him

any time, any where. It's a beautiful friendship they have actually. That's the part of owning 2 dogs I enjoy the most. Watching them enjoy each others company :)

Sorry for the lengthy post guys. Just a tad devoted & a BC tragic :o

Edited by BC Crazy

Jindi is the snuggler, she loves cuddles as much as she loves food. Henschke is the big goofball, cuddly at times, but doesn't like to be smothered.

Jindi came from a largish litter and Henschke was only one of two, so we often wonder if that has anything to do with their personalities.

I like the kind that is happy to cuddle but also happy to flop down for a snooze in the corner while you do something else. I find it a bit overwhelming when I'm at friend's places and they have dogs that need someone 100% of the time.

My boy is probably a quiet snuggle, he likes to be around me but is happy to be nearby or in a cuddle, whichever! I also find him to be a very calm, cheerful sort of dog. He goes with the flow!

I have the same here as the OP.. The female foster girl is a real snuggle bum.

My boy Zig, not so much but he isn't so independent that he likes to be on his own. He has no separation issues but likes to know where you are.. He isn't a real cuddle bug, if you cuddle him in tight, he will often move away from this but let him lay on you with just one hand on him and he will stay there all day.

I prefer male dogs to female dogs.

Snugglers but not needy. Cuddle for a bit then go off on their own business types. Friendly but mostly uninterested in people they don't know, but madly enthusiastic about long time friends. Active enough to always be up for a walk or gallop, but happy to sleep 20 hours a day if that's how it goes. A little snooty, quite sensitive, but trusting and reliable, go along with anything you ask but often with a look of skepticism. Very joyful and loving but like to remind me they have their own views on things. It is exactly how I like my dogs. I just couldn't live with velcro needy dogs, that would drive me insane!

Me too !

Me too !

:D

Me too !

Me three!

I like the independent bitches, the ones they don't call "bitches' for no reason

Yep me too! I like it when I earn their affection. :laugh: My friend has Border Collies who just NEED soooooo much - I couldn't stand it. She couldn't stand my independent Fauves. :laugh:

Daisy wants to be around you but doesn't need to be on you or smothering you. She's quite happy in her own company too, if I am outside for example she will come out with me for a period of time but will want to go back inside to sit on the lounge once she realizes she's not missing out on anything :laugh:

Wisdom is super affectionate to me, and she wants to be with me all of the time no matter what I'm doing. She will wrap her front legs around my neck and cuddle me, she will burrow her head on my chest and lick my face all over. I think Malinois are one of the most affectionate dogs out there, but generally only to their people. My girl will say hello to other people and she's friendly but not interested past an initial greeting.

Edited by huski

Guest Maeby Fünke

I'm so used to my Pug being stuck to me like glue that I'd probably feel a bit hurt if my next dog was really independent :laugh:

The snugglers are my favourite, definitely :D

Me too !

Me three!

Same for me. I like the happy balance of wanting to hang out with me and happy to do his own thing.