How Much Did Your Pup Weigh At 8 Weeks?

sandgrubber

I'm curious about what sort of weight ranges you find for pups of different breeds. And I'm not sure what is desirable.

I have a litter of 9 Lab pups who turn 8 wks tomorrow and will be going off to new homes. A couple will be flying, so I've been asked to predict how much they weigh. My experience with Lab pups has been a tad under a kg / week, so I guessed 15 lbs or 7 kg. They are coming in on target, the boys at 7.25, the girls, around 7.

The vet who gave them their jabs was amazed at how big they are. She said another Lab breeder in town's pups weighed about half as much at 8 weeks!

Everybody always says "big, healthy pups". But is bigger really healthier? Am I feeding too much (they aren't fat)? Do some breeders end out with little pups cause they skimp on feeding?

they can vary so much within litters even. My friend with the Italian greyhound litter has one that's almost twice the weight of the other 2. All are a healthy weight for their size though and the smaller ones are probably more like you'd expect the breed to be.

Oh, I forgot to answer your question. My puppy :heart: weighed a whopping 1.7kgs at 8 weeks :laugh:

Edited by Kirislin

I think my lab pup was about 5kgs at that age.

It's taken me a while to stop obsessing over weight, and just worry about him looking healthy.

If yours look fine, then I'm sure they are! Lovely big healthy pups!

p.s. I think we need pics...

I'm not sure how much Willow weighed at 8 weeks. But I do know she averaged a kilo a weight weight gain for a while there, she's 7mths old now and it's slowed. Her weight when she was gaining about a kilo a week was almost consistent with her age in weeks. eg. 10 weeks, 10 kgs....as an approximation. Some weeks she gained more, some weeks she gained a little less. Willow is a Rottweiler. :D (and fed a home diet)

I don't remember what my lab was as a pup, but the whole litter was very big.

Nova my Aussie was 3.8kgs at 8 wks, since then he has put on about 1 kg per week until this week at 5months, he only gained 500gs.

I'd say that 7kgs at 8 weeks old for nice healthy Labrador pups is a good weight - as long as they are properly proportioned and healthy, it's not the weight that really matters, is it? Some litters are lighter, some heavier.

In rescue, I've seen pups that were 3-4kgs at that age who turned out to be in the 40-50kg range - and others who were closer to your pups' weight and only ended up in the 20-25kg range... it's all relative really... lol!

T.

I have 2 BC's and they were very different weights at 8 weeks old.

Kenzie was 3.5kg when I picked her up and she was mid-size in the litter.

Hamish was about 6.3kg when I picked him up and he was probably the largest in the litter.

Both picked up at exactly 8 weeks old!!! It was a bit of a suprise for me because I took the same carry cage I had used for Kenz and there was NO WAY he was going to fit in it!!!

My youngest GSD male was 4.8kg at 8 weeks the older one was 8.2kg. The smaller one as an adult is 36kg's the larger pup 42kg's.

A GSD at only 4.8kgs at 8 weeks - that isn't much more than my Whippet!

My male was only 3.8KG at 8 weeks, he was tiny but all 6 from the litter were about the same size. He will be 2 in a few weeks and weighs 34KG.

My youngest GSD male was 4.8kg at 8 weeks the older one was 8.2kg. The smaller one as an adult is 36kg's the larger pup 42kg's.

A GSD at only 4.8kgs at 8 weeks - that isn't much more than my Whippet!

My male was only 3.8KG at 8 weeks, he was tiny but all 6 from the litter were about the same size. He will be 2 in a few weeks and weighs 34KG.

Blimey I hope my Whippet doesn't grow that enormous!!!!

My 7kg Dobe bitch ended up 30kgs

my 8.5kg Rotti bitch ended up 45kgs