Nz Huntaway Is Officially A Recognized Breed!

kiwifeathers

So after a fairly long process from my understanding the NZ Huntaway has a breed standard and has been recognised by the NZKC, making it the first NZ breed to be recognised by a kennel club. There hasn't been any kind of press release or obvious statement of this yet but it was mentioned in the NZKC magazine and the breed standard has appeared on the website. Breed Standard: http://www.nzkc.org.nz/breed_info/br535.html

I think the most interesting thing about this is the breed can't be shown in conformation shows, to preserve its state as a working dog. Is this a first? I wouldn't have a clue. Also interesting to see the Sheepdog Trial people don't recommend them to be kept solely as pets, considering there are many out there kept just as pets and perfectly happy (they do need a lot of exercise and have to be kept entertained in general though).

Edited by kiwifeathers

I think the most interesting thing about this is the breed can't be shown in conformation shows, to preserve its state as a working dog. Is this a first? I wouldn't have a clue. Also interesting to see the Sheepdog Trial people don't recommend them to be kept solely as pets, considering there are many out there kept just as pets and perfectly happy (they do need a lot of exercise and have to be kept entertained in general though).

That is a great idea and the Sheepdog Trial people have got it right about keeping them as pets only. They're a working breed, suited to working environments. I don't think anyone would consider getting a working border collie or kelpie as a pet only, I don't see how this is any different. thumbsup1.gif

It's great news, and party1.gif, does this make the Huntaway NZ's national dog now?

All of Australias national kennel council recognized origin breeds were working dogs and so were the other 'un recognised' ones. in time the Huntaway should just be accepted as making a good pet too like all are in Australia.

I don't agree that they should be marketed as pets - as sporting companion dogs as well as working dogs perhaps, but the connotation of "pet" really is not inclusive of the extra needs of working lines.

There are many working breeds that have non-working lines, developed for reasons where lower drive and higher sociability is required, and these will often make good pets in the traditional sense - which is first and foremost a companion animal.

Many working lines live quite happily in the homes of their owners, but are still used for daily work. In the sense they share the hearth they may be considered pets as well as workers but their needs are to work and they will find themselves jobs (that their owners might not like) if their need to work is not met.

Basically it is all how you define "pet". In the eyes of Joe Public, "pet" is not a dog that needs brain and limbs worked hard each and every day.

They're a working breed, suited to working environments. I don't think anyone would consider getting a working border collie or kelpie as a pet only, I don't see how this is any different

My kelpie comes from working lines and is a pet only BUT I put a lot of effort in to her in her first year to ensure she had a good off switch and would ne a good family dog. The most working she does for me is herding the chooks back in to their coop :p

There are many working breeds that are just fine in the right homes that are active outdoors people or involved in agility, obedience etc, the pet home that wants a yard ornament that lives outside with no interaction or training is not suitable for any breed.

Great news.

Our working BC would be a total pain in the backside as a pet, even if he was given lots of exercise. This is a dog that runs around the farm behind the bike in prefrence to on it, still destroys stuff and even after a day working sheep comes homes and hoons around. Even in a sporting home he would require a lot of dedication and someone who could train/exercise him many hours per day.

Great news.

Our working BC would be a total pain in the backside as a pet, even if he was given lots of exercise. This is a dog that runs around the farm behind the bike in prefrence to on it, still destroys stuff and even after a day working sheep comes homes and hoons around. Even in a sporting home he would require a lot of dedication and someone who could train/exercise him many hours per day.

My friend has a kelpie like that, completely feral even after all day working, works like a champ though. They own a kelpie stud and all the pups turned out like him and lots of big stations bought them because of their intensity and drive :laugh:

Great news.

My friend has a kelpie like that, completely feral even after all day working, works like a champ though. They own a kelpie stud and all the pups turned out like him and lots of big stations bought them because of their intensity and drive :laugh:

Yep brilliant sheep dog, especially considering he is only just one, but a total arse to live with - he is improving :) He is called Goose for a reason!

Great news.

Yep brilliant sheep dog, especially considering he is only just one, but a total arse to live with - he is improving :) He is called Goose for a reason!

Lol, what an appropriate name.

I have recently had two HW X Kelpies in my kennels, very smart and very lively lovely little dogs :) We not really little :)

Do you have boarding kennels? I would love to own them one day. I recently stayed at a place that had boarding kennels and they had some of the coolest dogs. Breeds that you never see in little ol' Cootamundra.