Inquiry To Examine Greyhound Racing

Nic.B

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, I don't know how to post the whole article, hope the link works.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/2013/11/15/05/54/nsw-inquiry-to-examine-greyhound-racing

here 'tis Nic :)

Inquiry lifts lid on NSW greyhound deaths

3:30pm November 15, 2013

The boss of greyhound racing in NSW says animal welfare in the industry should improve, revealing about 3000 unwanted dogs are euthanised each year.

NSW Greyhound Racing chief executive Brent Hogan on Friday fronted a parliamentary committee looking into claims greyhounds are given performance-enhancing drugs and are killed in their thousands every year.

The inquiry, at Penrith in western Sydney, was also charged with examining the financial relationship between Greyhound Racing NSW and the TAB.

Giving evidence, Mr Hogan conceded about 3000 dogs were euthanised each year in NSW.

He said about 8000 dogs were whelped each year in NSW, but only 70 per cent made it to the racetrack.

Asked by Greens MP John Kaye what happened to the other 30 per cent, Mr Hogan said "there are a variety of pathways that many could follow".

Some dogs left the state, while others found homes as pets.

A submission to the inquiry from a group called Greyhound Rescue says the drowning of unwanted greyhound puppies is common.

The group says it rarely receives pups, and few are surrendered to pounds.

Pressed by Mr Kaye, Mr Hogan said 52 greyhounds were adopted as pets in 2012 through a NSW Greyhound Racing initiative.

He rejected the claim doping was widespread.

"We have zero tolerance for participants who do not meet our animal welfare standards," he said.

In its submission, Greyhound Rescue says the euthanasia rate is "horrifying".

"Veterinary nurses are horrified by the high euthanasia rate of their clinics," the group's submission states.

It says dogs that arrive at pounds are often in very poor health, and need emergency surgery.

A dog had been blinded in one eye after its trainer hit it in the eye with a belt buckle, and females were often in poor health due to overbreeding, it says.

The Animal Welfare League has urged the government to set up two independent committees to monitor welfare standards.

It called for less litters bred each year to help reduce euthanasia rates.

Earlier on Friday, the inquiry was told many NSW greyhound tracks under financial pressures could be forced to close within a decade.

Mr Hogan called on the government to help the industry get a bigger slice of TAB wagering revenue split between three racing codes.

He said the greyhound industry was effectively subsidising harness and thoroughbred racing by about $15 million a year.

The inquiry will resume in February.

I don't expect much to change from this enquiry personally, limit the breeding of race greys is the way to go IMO. Apparently Janet and Peter went over like a lead balloon which is hardly surprising, the belt buckle comment while maybe true really is right up there with the "bludgeoning to death" crap and where were the big guns of grey rescue? The GAP haters that are SO vocal on Facebook yet not one of them had a representative there? pfft I hate the term "keyboard warriors" but when it boiled down to it where were they?

Thanks Anna xx

I have been out of the rescue loop for a while now.

I was sent this via email and as it appears to be local and knowing how many Greys are surrendered to HP I was interested. I have to admit I did not look into any further details.

What are the aspects (of this inquiry) which are most problematic?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

They talk about the vet nurses and euthanasia - what about the young ones who are too slow or injured? They are killed by the trainers, ear cut off so the tattoo is missing, and the bodies dumped?

These are the rumours from years gone by, I doubt these days it would be done. If the bodies were found the dogs are chipped so the owner could still be traced.

It is also the not the trainer (unless they are an owner trainer) that determines the fate of the dog, it is the owner, they are their dog/s. A trainers opinion may help but a smart owner would try another trainer first before giving up on the dog.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah it is a lovely statement BUT in my opinion, it doesn't take into account many things. It doesn't take into account how many greyhounds are out there who are DEADLY to small animals. Until you've had a high prey greyhound in your home, you won't understand what I mean, in the same way that I didn't until I had a rescue greyhound attempting to climb my blinds to get to my cat. They are insanely fast and lethal. It doesn't take into account how easily they scar - my beautiful greyhound, raised in my home from puppyhood, had some terribly scars from being a silly, very active puppy. Their skin tears like gladwrap and they have such terribly short fur that it often scars when in most other breeds it wouldn't.

It is very easy to see the beautiful, calm greyhounds that end up in pet homes who have no prey drive BUT it is vital to remember that some of them are terribly scary animals. GAP in all states have done a fabulous job of ensuring that the very best of greyhounds wind up in pet homes. Should I ever get another greyhound it would either be from Rebanne ( :laugh:, so I could show) OR it would come from GAP where I knew it to be cat safe, small dog safe and good with kids.

Yes I saw that on their FB page and to honest they are bloody lucky.

Well said Trisven. There are so many save 'em all greyhound rescues popping up all over the place it's scary quite frankly. When you are dealing with greyhounds there are no second chances, I think it was Rebanne that once said "NOTHING will outrun a determined greyhound" and not a truer word spoken. The responsible rescues are given absolute hell by the anti racing nutters if they euth greys that are not at minimum dog safe. It will be the undoing of greyhound rescue IMO, you simply cannot rehome greys straight out of kennels with no foster care or assessment, it's dangerous and stupid.

I agree with Trisven that when I get another grey it will come from GAP but in particular GAPVIC or Greyhound Haven Tasmania, Maddy puts her heart and soul into her rescue greys even though they both get flogged by the "save them all brigade" :(

I agree with what is being said re a determined high drive grey but I have been pleasantly surprised by the greys i train at work ignoring live prey (wild rabbits on the property not bait) in favour of the promised reward of a game with a toy, the most notable being an extremely high drive dog that had been raised by us and my job is to enhance/build their prey drive with a toy, she had gone to breaker when she came back all she wanted to do was hunt for rabbits, which didn't help her get fit so we started doing hand slips with toys. This got her mind back on the job. Only a few weeks ago I had just let her go when I noticed my boss had flushed out two rabbits that were heading our way (he was a good 60-70m ahead) I nearly had kittens as all I could think was that she would spot these rabbits, turn and chase them (we were all in a long paddock 3mx450m) only to crash into the gate as the rabbits go under and she doesn;t see it. Anyhow that didn't happen she saw them faulted in her pace and the took off again as she decided the toy that was now about 100+m away as better value woohoo :cheer:

So with training there is hope. I'm not naieve enough to say it will work with all but this dog is high drive. Without the conditioning I know she would have turned and chased those rabbits, they passed about 1.5m away from her.

I've got a medium high prey girl who regularly attempts to climb trees on walks after birds. Dives into bushes after lizards. Would kill a small dog or cat given the chance. I can call her off and have turned her prey drive onto a treat or a game of barking and carrying on at the end of the leash in order to get a treat. But I am the only one who walks her. I don't even really trust my husband with her. She is cunning, patient and opportunistic as well as being fast, agile and powerful. She has a vertical jump of over six foot, but has never figured our how to go over a fence.

I have no illusions. Training can help redirect instinct, but it can never suppress it and is context dependent. Thus PK is fine with me but can never be rehomed - a different handler would bring out different elements of her personality.

Which is why I don't think all greys are suitable for rehoming. Why I shudder when I see greys being run with other breeds and watch them run other dogs down and flip them over. Why I hate seeing a grey on alert with the thousand yard stare at a SWF who is minding its own business and boogying along the street, while the greys owner assures me that 'he's fine. The people at .... Rescue group told me.' It only takes a couple of bad incidents and we're back to square one.

All my greys will come from GAP NSW because I know what I'll get. Which is a realistic assessment of a hunting dog breed who does need some care in handling.

Edited to clarify: In NSW there are two groups called GAP. I meant Greyhounds As Pets NSW. They are run by different people and there is sometimes immense confusion.

Edited by Brandiandwe

Just read that piece. I'd hate to think what they'd say about PK who is also covered in scars. Most I the ones on her legs are from bush walks we've don being very hung ho about lizards, rocks, birds, and walking generally. She now has scars on her throat, face and head from an altercation with Brandi. There are various others which she arrived with. I have no doubt they were got in the course if her living her intense, focused, businesslike life.

Also annoying to see the photos of the grey unmuzzled while in public without a Green Collar. Way to help the cause.