Umbilical Hernia

Rain

I don't believe umbilical hernias are necessarily genetic. Any tugging on the cord can also cause this problem. I witnessed a breeder stripping down the blood and then tearing the cords herself and the whole litter had UH due to the pulling. I bet she never did that again!

Some years ago, when my favorite stud dog produced a couple of UH in his puppies, I spoke to a well respected surgeon about the issue and the risks involved. His opinion was that they are rarely a problem.... the recommendation that they be surgically closed if still palpable after 12 weeks is one that vets have made for years as a "just in case" measure. He said that very few vets will have seen strangulated UH because entrapment/strangulation is a rare occurence.

He also said that he believed there is a strong genetic component to the problem but the mode of inheritance and the pathway to development of this type of hernia had not been pinpointed. There did not seem to be a link between UH and inguinal or perineal hernias, both of which can cause significant problems.