How Many Have You Kept?

Rain

Hello :)

This question is for those that have kept more than one puppy from their litter,

I am considering keeping either two or three puppies from our litter and am wondering who has done this before and how successful was it, in regards to training, attention, showing etc.

Did you house the pups together? or separate?

Did you socialize all together or take one out at a time?

Would you enter all pups at a show or just one pup on one day then another pup the next?

I was just curious to other breeders experience with this as i don't want to bite off more than i can chew...

Thank you

I have kept 2 from a couple of litter, never had any issue with it. They bonded with me as usual and weren't overly bonded with their littermates. I would say however they lived with a number of other dogs and I was careful to do separate outings for each dog so they weren't always together.

To answer your other questions, they were housed together as babies but once they were old enough to run with the adults they were spilt up and I only showed one at a time which worked out fine as they were ready to show at different times

Edited by cowanbree

I kept two from my last litter and it was totally fine. Had no issues with the dogs bonding with me. We made sure they got a lot of training time apart and they slept in their own crates over night from 3 months of age.

I showed them at the same time too as they're male and female.

I'd happily do it again.

When we kept the three we had boarding kennels so plenty of room and someone there 24/7. It's not something I would do now we're on 1/2 an acre in semi-suburbia. Depends on the breed - 3 Stafford puppies would be quite a bit different to 3 Chihuahua puppies :)

In terms of time yes of course three is different to two but otherwise, not really.

I felt it wasn't fair on 3 puppies as I knew I simply wouldn't have the time that I do for two puppies. My daughter is only 8 but she and I work very closely with our dogs and we can work with two, to do three properly in our family requires another person and we didn't have that. I ONLY kept three because I had two litters close together and all three pups were lovely and I couldn't choose.