Antihistamine , Which One?

juice

My BT often breaks out in little lumps on her face,due to certain grass's and I get antihistamine's from the vet.

However, it happens often, and the ones from the vet are $1 a tablet, so I was looking at a cheaper option.

Does anyone have success with a human one ?

Yes, that is the sort of list provided in the Ingleburn Vet/ antihistamine search that 2Boxer suggested. :)

Juice my dog is on Hydroxyzine/ 'Atarax' as listed in the Ingleburn vet list. He was put on a prescription for it by the dermatologist vet we see. It does help manage atopic dermatitis and the itching is reduced. We do a morning dose and an evening dose, every day.

Yes, check first with your vet. When we had a sheltie prone to itch & hot spots, our vet prescribed antihistamines. He advised getting antihistamines from the chemist as the veterinary ones were more expensive. He said Polaramine for humans was the same.... & cheaper. I can't remember the dose, tho'.

Here is the link with the dosages

http://www.ingleburn...ihistamines.htm

Thanks for that link Rosetta..

A while back Miah had some ongoing sneezes, it was intially thought she might have a grass seed up her nostril. Shes fine now but i did wonder about if it was an allergy/hayfever issue and was thinking about giving her one of my clarytine (sp?) antihistamines and what dose would i need to give her?

Guest Maeby Fünke

I have always used Zyrtec (cetirizine). You can get the cheaper, generic brand in larger sizes from the chemist.

The dosage for dogs is 10g (one tablet) per 10 kilos of body weight. This was recommended to me by Dr Greg Burton, a Vet. Dermatologist at the Melbourne Animal Referral Centre.

Though I would see a vet first so you know what you're dealing with :)

• 2 weeks later...

Try Calendula Tea. You should see within 24 hours, improvement and may mean you don't even need to administer anti-histamines. My boy was a bit itchy around his chin and I noticed a number of small, pink bumps. Calendula Tea rinse at the site and bumps receded quickly - gone completely within 48 hours. Only applied it twice. If you don't see improvement inside 24 hours, then go for the anti-histamines.

Edited by Erny