Pregnant Bitch Bitten By Snake

SLF

My girl is 2wks from her due date and was bitten by a tiger snake last night.

She received treatment very quickly (within 15-20mins of the bite) and has responded very well till this point. Of course our focus has been on saving her life, but I cant stop thinking about the unborn pups.

An ultrasound is scheduled for later today.

Has anyone had any experience in a case like this? I cannot find any information on snake bite and pregnancy or anti venom treatment on unborn pups. Im assuming they will most likely die.

Edited by SLF

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

She was still too unwell to do the ultrasound, so they are hoping for Thurs/Fri, depending on how she is going.

At the moment we are given a very tricky situation - she is too sick to undergo a c/s to remove the pups, dead or alive. Her kidneys wouldn't cope with the anesthetic.It would most likely kill her.

However she has so much damage to the muscles from the snake toxins the stress of labour on the muscles may be too much for her to handle also.

At the moment we are at a bit of a stalemate. Waiting to see how her organs recover. On a positive note she is bright, eating and walking on her own

I have no idea about bitches at that stage of pregnancy. I hope regardless of how the puppies have faired that she can recover well and have a c section on her due date.

What an awful situation to be in :( hopefully she recovers well and quickly

Kirislin - My husband and 5yr old son were with her when she caught the snake. I had just returned from the backyard to the house with our 3yr old son. It bit our dog on the mouth and as she fell (we assumed she was dead) my husband got the snake as my son ran for help. It happened maybe one meter from him.

I had to check twice to see if she was still alive, and she was breathing so we went immediately to the vet. Thankfully it is only a 15min drive and they were prepared for us when we arrived. She had the anti venom within 15-20mins of the snake bite. Hopefully this helps.

I have just been to see her again, she is bright and active. Her blood tests are still not very good at all.

Hopefully today they will be able to check the pups for heartbeats. She hasn't shown any signs of miscarrying or problems related to carrying dead puppies so perhaps there is hope they may be alive.

If the pups survive they can be paralysed from the venom and have to be euthanized at birth. They can also be born alive and die shortly afterwards. So we will need to just wait and see.

We still have not discussed how to get them out.

It will be an anxious wait this afternoon. Im sure I will sit by the phone most of the day.