Malaseb For Yeasty Ears

teekay

Just a quick question. Jenna has what I believe is a yeast infection in her ear/s. They are not bothering her but the one is red and smelly. Is tarted treating it with a diluted Maleseb solution Wednesday. I have only done it once a day Wed and Thurs. Today it is looking far less red but is still a bit smelly. I was wondering how long I should continue the Malaseb treatment and is once a day enough?

If the ear isn't vastly improved by Monday I will be off to the vets but, as it isn't bothering her at all, I thought I would try this first.

I have not heard of treating ears with diluted malaseb..... Not as an ear cleaner. Yes to treat yeast but not in this location?

Generally it is either an approved ear medication for infection or epiotic or otoflush etc for cleaning (ph balanced cleaners for using in the ear canal)... +/- a systemic medication for inflammation and infection if it is bad enough.

I would be hesitant to put things in ears that are not specifically for ears, especially as an ongoing medication, as the canal can be quite sensitive and more importantly if you damage the ear drum it can be a much more serious issue.

Others may have experience with prescribed malaseb for an ear infection? I certainly have not heard of this but do know that it is excellent for yeast infections on skin, and certainly yeast is a common issue in the ear.

Sorry I cannot be more helpful just my 2c re being careful with using medicated things like this in locations other than they are intended... perhaps it is fine but I would be inclined to check before continuing.

Use of these sorts of washes as a standard cleaning proticol concerns me as the ear wasn't really designed to be cleansed so consistently. I could imagine constant cleansing resulting in the body reacting by producing an over-production of wax. In other words, we upset the natural balance of the body's own cleansing function. If the ears are inclined to be problematic and does require treatment, I'd be more interested in sourcing something that is more neutral to the ear's natural environment and opt (if possible) to merely using it to wipe the area of the dog's ears that can be seen, rather than pouring anything in and down the canal.

This, of course, is merely dealing with and treating the symptoms. If the dog's ears do continue to develop yeast issues, something else is going on and should be investigated. IMO.

Thanks for the replies :)

Jenna's ear seems a bit better this morning, a lot less smelly and not as red, but I will still take her to see the vets on Monday if it isn't completely better. If she seemed in any discomfort I would have taken her already but it doesn't appear to be bothering her, just the smell. I haven't really been 'flushing' her ear as such, just soaking a cotton ball and squeezing it as I clean the outer area so that some stuff goes in the canal.

She is nearly 5 years old and has never had this problem before so will not be changing her diet just yet. If it returns then I will consider it, she has raw in a morning and only has a small prtion of kibble in the evening so it wouldn't be difficult to change that evening meal. I have been wondering whether the recent 5 week course of antibiotics she has been on, is to blame. A bit like us humans and thrush? So I have started giving her some inner health plus with some yogurt. I figure it can't hurt.

Jenna's ear seems a bit better this morning, a lot less smelly and not as red, but I will still take her to see the vets on Monday if it isn't completely better. If she seemed in any discomfort I would have taken her already but it doesn't appear to be bothering her, just the smell. I haven't really been 'flushing' her ear as such, just soaking a cotton ball and squeezing it as I clean the outer area so that some stuff goes in the canal.

She is nearly 5 years old and has never had this problem before so will not be changing her diet just yet. If it returns then I will consider it, she has raw in a morning and only has a small prtion of kibble in the evening so it wouldn't be difficult to change that evening meal. I have been wondering whether the recent 5 week course of antibiotics she has been on, is to blame. A bit like us humans and thrush? So I have started giving her some inner health plus with some yogurt. I figure it can't hurt.

The antibiotic could well be the problem, however if it does return I would lose the kibble or switch to grain free if the one you are currently using isn't.I find that washing the paws in ACV solution or Malaseb, if you wish, also helps with yeast as they can transfer the yeast by scratching their ears, licking their paws etc. So treating both areas can help.

Wax and yeast are two different things, Yeast needs to be treated. Of course the cause needs to be treated as well. We are talking about treating a dog with yeast. :)

Yeah :) - I was replying to those who, beyond getting the yeast symptoms under control, use cleaners as a regular "preventative". However, we do need to be mindful about what we use for that purpose, as things too stringent to the delicate tissue inside the ear can cause the body to over-react to the cleansing. That aside, the result of yeast issue can be a waxy residue.

The other thing for people to be mindful of is that a yeast issue in the ear can also be symptomatic of a burst ear-drum and if that is something the dog has, we shouldn't be putting liquids down the dog's ear canal.

Edited by Erny

The antibiotic could well be the problem, however if it does return I would lose the kibble or switch to grain free if the one you are currently using isn't.I find that washing the paws in ACV solution or Malaseb, if you wish, also helps with yeast as they can transfer the yeast by scratching their ears, licking their paws etc. So treating both areas can help.

This. My 12 year old westie Sarah is such a yeastie girl - and since I've been using ABs only as a very last resort with her and switched her to the occasional grain free dry food she's been much better. And I have no proof of this whatsoever, but like in humans, it seems girl doggies are far more prone to yeast infections than the boys. So you may need to think about Jenna's yeastiness systemically, not just her ears. You essentially have to starve the yeast and stop it from spreading.

ETA: Many vets these days also have good quality probiotic powders which are worth a try and I've just started Sarah on a low lactose natural probiotic yoghurt - the Hansell one that you make up yourself - to try to help her upset tummy and tendency to yeast infections - which I suspect are connected.

Edited by westiemum

ETA: Many vets these days also have good quality probiotic powders which are worth a try and I've just started Sarah on a low lactose natural probiotic yoghurt - the Hansell one that you make up yourself - to try to help her upset tummy and tendency to yeast infections - which I suspect are connected.

Where do you find the yoghurt? Never heard of it.

All the supermarkets seem to stock the yoghurt you make up from packets and the kits for doing it easily (the box contains the instructions, the thermos and the plastic jar for making it) - EasiYo and Hansell seem to be the two brands. I bought the low lactose probiotic Hansell one - two 500g packs - from Coles yesterday - Coles seem to stock Hansell while Foodland stocks EasiYo - not sure about Woolies.

Made up a kg for Sarah today and it looks really good. It's very quick and easy to do. Will try it with her breakfast in the morning. Overall, in the longer term it's much cheaper - and I bought the thermos kit for $10 on special which is less than half price. Hope that helps. smile.gif

Edited by westiemum

If you can't find any 2/H yoghurt makers at Vinnies or second-hand shops (there are usually some there) and can't be bothered going to the supermarket Golden Glow have some

http://www.goldenglo...3aeasiyo&cnt=60

they do have some discounts(there is discounts for us tight ar$ed seniors) and if you are a new member you get free postage with your first delivery if it's over $30 http://www.goldenglo...wsletter/step-1

eta, you may also be interested in this video about yeast infections and non-pasteurised apple cider vinegar http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2011/05/03/eating-these-foods-can-make-your-dog-itch-like-crazy.aspx

Edited by Boronia

Excellent links B. I've tried many traditional treatments for Sarah - steroids, Atopica - and while giving some temporary relief none worked long term as I don't think they got to the root of the problem. Very good advice in that healthy pets article - particularly no sugars or carbs and all over 'shampooing' to kill and remove the yeast. Although I must say I've never seen the hydrogen peroxide advice before - might try that. Thanks for posting. smile.gif