Breeder Wants Me To Pick Pup Up Early

Cheys232

Hi I just got a message from the owner of the puppy I'm getting the pups were born 14/1/14 she has said the mother dog has mastitis and is on antibiotics, the pups are eating puppy food and drinking puppy milk, she says the vet has said that the pups must be kept away from mum she wants to know if I want to pick up pup early, I do not want to pick up this puppy at 4 weeks what should I do or what can I tell her so they pup can have the best chance at being a good dog?

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd be paasing on getting a pup from anyone who wants me to take it home at 4 weeks of age... run a mile!

The best cure for mastitis is actually getting the pups to suckle more to get rid of the build up. Been through it many times with rescue litters, and there is absolutely no reason to send pups off to new homes at 4 weeks of age. At worst, you keep pups as a litter together until they are actually old enough (8 weeks minimum) to venture out - and that they've had at least their first puppy vaccination.

Find another breeder, because this one actually sounds pretty dodgy.

T.

Is this breeder registered with their state kennel club? If so they are in breech of COE if they allow puppies to leave at 4 weeks of age.

If you need to tell a breeder that it is not in the pup's best interest to leave the mum/litter mates at 4 weeks of age, then my thoughts are that this is not a very reputable or knowledgeable breeder.

Sometimes puppies are off mum by that age but this does not mean it is time to go to their new homes. Breeders can put in so much more time and effort into giving puppies the best start with things other than feeding.

I'd suggest you look for another breeder. She sounds lazy.

Mastitis can and does occur in perfectly above board situations, however with what we already know, it would add to my list of concerns about animal husbandry and experience.

RUN!!!

Edited by Starkehre

How sad :( She doesn't sound very committed to the job of puppy rearing. Hopefully others who are getting pups are as concerned as you are.

Exactly!

Please find a good breeder to buy your pup from. A good start in life is very important. :)

Cheys - be aware that if you DO decide to take this puppy - it brings with it all sorts of extra risks- both healthwise, and temperament wise.

is the breed such that there are no others available ?

was it a special colour/type?

really - if you can , walk away, and spend some time looking for another breeder who can provide you the best available puppy ....

Run! Rehoming underage pups is not reputable breeder behaviour - no matter the circumstances or "the vet said..." statements.

I can't believe that the breeder even thought about ringing prospective owners and asked if they wanted their pups early...

T.

I can't believe that the breeder even thought about ringing prospective owners and asked if they wanted their pups early...

I'll be generous and think perhaps inexperience and a degree of panic may have been a factor ..... unacceptable - but possible .

No not a registered breeder, I think she just panicked and was worried about mum that's what I'm worried about paying 900 for a puppy that may have not had the best start in life worries me, but I feel for this puppy what will happen to her :(

Walk away. Run even. I understand you feel sorry for THIS pup but realise that by purchasing this pup you may simply encourage this person to breed again. Not to mention the potential health/behavioural issues you may have to deal with. You posted here for advice. Please take the words of experienced dog breeders and owners seriously.

I wouldn't buy from this breeder. 4 weeks is half the age they should be leaving there mum and litter mates. Breeder seems very lazy to me.

May I ask why are you willing to pay 900 for a dog without purebred papers?

.. I'm sorry you got caught .

When you refuse this puppy - the breeder gets a strong message that what they are doing is NOT the right thing to do. Hopefully it will be a lesson for them , in that THEY need to be responsible .

The puppy will no doubt find a home with someone else .. it doesn't know what it may be missing ....

When paying big money for a pup - YOU deserve the best you can get ...

It is sad, and makes it hard for you :hug: The breeder may well now try& make you feel very guilty ... DO NOT take it to heart . it is NOT your fault -

You got caught up in getting a cute puppy .......... and paying a fortune for one from an unknown family line ....... That's happened lots .

Now you feel awful , and I understand ...

Breathe .. and put it down to experience .....

Do not get the pup.

Many bitches for many reason stop feeding babies at 4 to 6 weeks - mine were weaned by mum at just over 5, they still need to be kept together as a litter. They have so much to learn from each other and mum once they are weaned she will still spend time with them.

They could put a shirt over her teats so she can still interact with the babies. My bitch had ABs for a different reason and her puppies still fed from her I just gave them a little protexin each and they had no issues what so ever.

Also $900 for a byb pup. My registered babies with breeder back up cost that.

Edited by OSoSwift