Judges Comments Online

Waggy

I have been noticing more and more judges openingly commenting on people's dogs and their wins on such forums as Facebook and other online forums. Should judges but openly supporting certain peoples dogs? I have already worked out who certain judges would probably put up. What do others think?

So a Judge can't comment on a friend's litter? Or admire a dog they've previously judged and awarded? Soon people will be saying Judges shouldn't be on social media.

Don't laugh. At a recent meeting when selecting Judges was done one of the members/significant breeder seriously suggested that we add to the contract "that the selected judge should refrain from making any comment about an Australian dog on Facebook" Not sure how this would be policed but the argument was that the comments may influence the entries and there was a breed club (allegedly) whose entries were decimated because of comments made by their judge elect.

Personally I think some exhibitors are just a tad too precious and need to remember that tis is a hobby and supposed to be enjoyable.

I think it could potentially affect entries - I am not saying judges need to be mute, but people making rational decisions about what shows to enter can be expected to take what is said into account in their decision making about who to enter under. They would be daft not to, surely. The wisest judges I know don't say much of anything on fb.

Of course I was not suggesting judges cannot congratulate friends on a great win. I have had judges congrats me on occasions . I just feel it does effect your decision in whether you show under them when you see comments like " and so you should of won.. You have the best ( of that bred) etc.. But overall I still believe must judges are honest and judge the dog on the day,

Edited by Waggy

I don't see any problems with judges "congratulating" others for their wins. As long as it is left at that and they are consistent and fair across the board. If a judge says something like above " you should have won" etc, then it could be construed as a conflict of interest.

Let's face it, we are all friends with at least one judge. So there is always the possibility of a judge having a perceived conflict of interest. As long as the judging is always fair and transparent, then what's the problem of them commenting?

• 3 weeks later...

There are two judges who regularly comment on our dogs online. One is the breeder of my dogs, so obviously I'm not ever going to show to her. The other is a friend who we often set up with at shows and we don't show to her because we think it would be inappropriate. So just because the judge comments on the dog, it doesn't mean they are ever going to see it in their ring.

The Australian Dog Show World is a small place. Most of us would have friends on Facebook who are judges. We've probably all wished judges Happy Birthday or had them congratulate us on a win or done the same to them.

Deal with it I say. Is this yet another excuse for people to justify losing? "she knows the judge on FB, so they put her up". Riiiight. I can tell you right now that because a judge has commented on a dog, it is no guarantee they will put it up because they judge many dogs on the day and how you handle and how you present your dog also plays a part.

Have yet to see a judge post "you should have won". No judge I know would be THAT silly. :shrug:

Edited by Haredown Whippets

Personally I have no problem with the concept of judges using social media, however like any person that uses it, it really is a matter of what is actually said that could become an issue. Congratulating eTc is all good but when the comments start to put down certain peoples dogs or lines that becomes a problem.

It is important to remember that you could be judged by your comments on these sites. Even if they don't accurately reflect your character