Behavourist In Brisbane

storm

I have a 12 month old Yorkshire terrier and need help. I have only recently adopted him. he isn't desexed

Ill give a run down on him

When I picked him up from the airport we couldn't get him out of the crate, kept attacking the crate door and trying to bite.

ended up buying the crate

once home I figured he would still be stressed

put him on the back patio to settle, left him in the crate for a while as he was still attacking.

when I did open the crate he attacked as I opened the door drawing blood

let to his own device for a while with food and water

trying to engage him over the next 4 days attacked every time I went near him.

while asleep in the cage, I got the door close and took him to the vets for a check up. he had the crate rocking with lots of aggression they couldn't do anything with him.

it was suggested he be put down.

4 days after he arrived and letting everyone one know he wasnt happy. he just snapped out of it and became very sweet and loves cuddles.

he will now play with my other dog has a few issues but is doing heaps better.

One of the biggest worries is when anyone arrives he goes ballistic and attacks people, dogs.

if I pick him up to put him in another room he bites me.

my neighbours have children and I have concerns he will bite them.

he isn't chicken or bird friendly in anyway.

I have spoken to the previous owner who said to put him on valium.

I am after advice if anyone can recommend a behaviourist in the Ipswich area. I admit I am finding him very stressful as I honestly don't know what to expect at times.

Edited by storm

I was told he was friendly, sweet and loves cuddles. Which at times he does, love being with you but will attack anything/anyone that comes near.

the vet didn't agree with valium as they said once it wears off you could have a time bomb on your hands.

I was going to get him desexed but the vets wont at the moment due to his behaviour.

I head tells me to send him back but my heart tells me not to give up on him.

Ill see what the behaviourist has to say and go from there..

Thanks everyone appreciate everyone assistance

I would absolutely be sending him back. You could be facing 17-20 years of this, do you really feel that's fair on you, him or your guests?

Would you have taken him in knowing what you know now?

What if he gets out? What about when you want to have work done on the house? Can you ever just have guests pop in again?

Frankly him drawing blood would have been it for me.

I can see where you're coming from, though imagine how stressed he must get when anyone comes over?

And the previous owner is lazy lazy lazy to suggest valium and shrug you off like that.

I really feel for you and can understand where you're coming from. It must be hard when he's so sweet one minute and psycho the next, it must be a big call.

Here's hoping you didn't actually pay any money for this little guy.

If you did I would at least be demanding a refund regardless of if you keep him or not - rehabilitation is going to cost you if that's what you decide to do

He might like cuddles but is sounds like he's far from friendly

Based on what you've said a more accurate description would probably be: Loves cuddles, is fear aggressive, doesn't like anything new and resource guards people.

Disclaimer: the above description is not a formal diagnosis, I really don't know what I'm talking about

I would absolutely be sending him back. You could be facing 17-20 years of this, do you really feel that's fair on you, him or your guests?

Would you have taken him in knowing what you know now?

What if he gets out? What about when you want to have work done on the house? Can you ever just have guests pop in again?

Frankly him drawing blood would have been it for me.

I can see where you're coming from, though imagine how stressed he must get when anyone comes over?

And the previous owner is lazy lazy lazy to suggest valium and shrug you off like that.

I really feel for you and can understand where you're coming from. It must be hard when he's so sweet one minute and psycho the next, it must be a big call.

If I had known he was like this there's no way in hell I would have taken him...lol

That's one of my fear if he does get out what will happen.

I will admit emotionally I'm all over the place with what to do.

I have a sign on the door now not to come in. The plumber has been here every day for the last 3 days and he will still try to eat the plumber.

I think one of my biggest worry is, I send him back and they rehome him again to someone and not be honest about his behaviours. Then he goes through this again, its not fair on him

In my head I know what I need to do think I just needed to hear it.

thank you

What a worry ...

I hope the behaviourist will give you a realistic assessment and help you make a decision.

Rock :Hard place

sorry :(

it is hard but need to do the right thing by him and only hope that sending him back is the right thing for him.

I also need to do the right thing for my other dog

What a worry ...

I hope the behaviourist will give you a realistic assessment and help you make a decision.

Rock :Hard place

sorry :(

it is hard but need to do the right thing by him and only hope that sending him back is the right thing for him.

I also need to do the right thing for my other dog

..and you , the family, and friends . having a dog with any form of aggression is stressful and dangerous. IF this dog was bought with such behaviour entrenched - the seller should be told of all problems . I guess there's a story behind why he was sold ....and I do hope that things work out,

Here's hoping you didn't actually pay any money for this little guy.

If you did I would at least be demanding a refund regardless of if you keep him or not - rehabilitation is going to cost you if that's what you decide to do

He might like cuddles but is sounds like he's far from friendly

Based on what you've said a more accurate description would probably be: Loves cuddles, is fear aggressive, doesn't like anything new and resource guards people.

Disclaimer: the above description is not a formal diagnosis, I really don't know what I'm talking about

I think I'm trying to see improvement in him, which may not actually be there. I admit I'm well and truly out of my depth with what to do.

Appreciate your advice, your probably right about his behaviour. He reacts to everything and goes into a barking, growling freazy, hackles up teeth showing. doesn't respond to verbal correction but if I bang something he will stop look then continue with behaviour.

Yeah, it's hard, but it's really not your problem, you were sold something that didn't match the description, you wouldn't have bought one advertised as "fear aggressive, biting, attacking dog occasionally loves cuddles" would you?

I wouldn't ever, ever, ever take on a troubled dog, because dogs are meant to be kind of nice to own and good company, enjoyable, not a ticking time bomb.

Personally I would not be sending this dog back. Obviously the people who sold him to you don't care that he is stressed and unhappy so they will pass him on again to someone else (no doubt saying it's all your fault when he reacts exactly the same way again) and this will only make everything worse FOR HIM.

So sorry you have to deal with this and you can only do what you are comfortable with but if he was mine he would get his wings.

Personally I would not be sending this dog back. Obviously the people who sold him to you don't care that he is stressed and unhappy so they will pass him on again to someone else (no doubt saying it's all your fault when he reacts exactly the same way again) and this will only make everything worse FOR HIM.

So sorry you have to deal with this and you can only do what you are comfortable with but if he was mine he would get his wings.

I agree in theory but given what most Yorkies sell for i would be wanting my money back if this pup(young adult) was sold in that price range .

I to would put it down if it was mine but the previous owners shouldn't be rewarded with getting money for this dog & someone else having to to do the dirty work .

I agree in theory but given what most Yorkies sell for i would be wanting my money back if this pup(young adult) was sold in that price range .

I to would put it down if it was mine but the previous owners shouldn't be rewarded with getting money for this dog & someone else having to to do the dirty work .

The dog's future would come before the monetary considerations for me, but that's a personal decision.

I wouldn't feel comfortable using a dog I had got to know and like to teach the previous owner's a lesson, but that's also a personal decision.