Australian Pure Bred Dog Forums - Dogz Online: Do Most Breeders Start Feeding Their Puppies Age Appropriate Bones Bef - Australian Pure Bred Dog Forums - Dogz Online

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Do Most Breeders Start Feeding Their Puppies Age Appropriate Bones Bef

#1 User is offline   Malakita 

• Forum Member
  • State:VIC

Posted 01 March 2014 - 11:39 AM

I am just wondering if most breeders start feeding puppies necks or wings or any other age/size appropriate bones before the puppies go to their new homes.
Please feel free to add if your puppy had been introduced to bones before they came to you or maybe they hadn't even seen a bone prior.
Mine hadn't seen a bone of any sort, and didn't know what to do with it. Still had to hold a chicken wing for a large breed puppy at 9 months old.

#2 User is offline   trifecta 

• Forum Regular
  • State:NSW

Posted 01 March 2014 - 11:53 AM

~Midniara~ on here raised her last two litters of Groenendaels solely on raw :thumbsup:

Look forward to other replies!

#3 User is offline   Sash 

• Forum Member
  • State:QLD

Posted 01 March 2014 - 11:55 AM

My whippet was eating chicken wings (and possibly bones too - but they only mentioned chicken wings specifically) prior to me picking him up at 8 weeks old.

#4 User is offline   espinay2 

• Gone to the dogs

Posted 01 March 2014 - 12:01 PM

Yes. Started on turkey necks and chicken thighs/marylands at 3.5 - 4 weeks of age. to 'play' with
Little vultures catch on fast and have the bones stripped bare after getting them for a day or two.
By 6 - 8 weeks they are eating chicken frames, thighs, marylands and turkey necks bones and all without issue.

#5 User is offline   Bjelkier 

• Hav-a-Sam

Posted 01 March 2014 - 12:02 PM

View Postespinay2, on 01 March 2014 - 12:01 PM, said:

Yes. Started on turkey necks and chicken thighs/marylands at 3.5 - 4 weeks of age. to 'play' with
Little vultures catch on fast and have the bones stripped bare after getting them for a day or two.
By 6 - 8 weeks they are eating chicken frames, thighs, marylands and turkey necks bones and all without issue.

I do the same with my pups

#6 User is offline   Dame Aussie 

• ~Ninja~

Posted 01 March 2014 - 01:19 PM

When we picked up our aussie shepherd at 11 weeks the breeder sent her home with a maryland :)

This post has been edited by Aussie3: 01 March 2014 - 01:19 PM

#7 User is offline   Angeluca 

• Forum Regular

Posted 01 March 2014 - 01:29 PM

yep, when solids are introduced.

chicken necks, very very (can't fit in mouth) large meaty bones for jaw strengthening.

#8 User is offline   Airedaler 

• Forum Regular

Posted 01 March 2014 - 01:33 PM

I raised my last litter fully on raw food and started giving chicken wings at about 3 weeks. The pups did not eat them at this stage but sucked/chewed on them and played with them. I also gave them lamb shanks.

#9 User is offline   Erny 

• Ridgydidge

Posted 01 March 2014 - 01:39 PM

DOL needs a "like" button. I'd hit it for every breeder who introduces and raises their pups on balanced raw food :) .

#10 User is offline   biker girl 

• maker of all things that ARE SO bad for you
  • State:SA

Posted 01 March 2014 - 01:46 PM

View PostBjelkier, on 01 March 2014 - 12:02 PM, said:

View Postespinay2, on 01 March 2014 - 12:01 PM, said:

I do the same with my pups

same here....started our 3 wk old sheppies on soft lamb ribs, it's so funny watching babies (with no teeth) suck & gum meaty bones to death.........

my husband was watching them one day & commented on "what a slow but cute way it would to be suck/gummed to death by a pack of toothless puppies" Posted Image

By 6-8wks of age, the pups were very capably devouring 1/2 a chicken carcess each Posted Image

#11 User is offline   Dame Aussie 

• ~Ninja~

Posted 01 March 2014 - 02:17 PM

:laugh: biker girl, being gummed to death by puppies? Yeah, I could go that way :laugh:

#12 User is offline   Christina 

• Forum Regular

Posted 01 March 2014 - 03:29 PM

No, mine are so tiny I am scared that if they get into trouble I can't get in their mouths.
Have given pigs ear at about 6 weeks but the pigs ear is bigger then the pups head. Quite funny to watch them.

#13 User is offline   oakway 

• Forum Regular

Posted 01 March 2014 - 03:34 PM

I have Toys and they are fed raw from the start.

#14 User is offline   Malakita 

• Forum Member

Posted 01 March 2014 - 03:39 PM

Your replies have been great to read through! Love reading everyone's opinions.
Do you think that if a puppy has never eaten raw meat or bones before they go to the new owner, they are less likely to know what to do with raw bones?

#15 User is offline   piper 

• Forum Regular

Posted 01 March 2014 - 04:34 PM

Once solids are introduced I start giving them raw meaty bones. Initially they just suck at them/play with them but they quickly progress to devouring them. By 6 weeks they can quite competently consume a chicken wing.

I also used lamb ribs, roo spine (they mostly give their jaws a good work out getting all the meat off rather than consume the bone with these ), turkey neck pieces and whatever else I can get hold of that is appropriate. It Bones are always chosen to be too big for them to gulp down.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy | Web Site Terms and Conditions