Do Most Breeders Start Feeding Their Puppies Age Appropriate Bones Bef

Malakita

I am just wondering if most breeders start feeding puppies necks or wings or any other age/size appropriate bones before the puppies go to their new homes.

Please feel free to add if your puppy had been introduced to bones before they came to you or maybe they hadn't even seen a bone prior.

Mine hadn't seen a bone of any sort, and didn't know what to do with it. Still had to hold a chicken wing for a large breed puppy at 9 months old.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes. Started on turkey necks and chicken thighs/marylands at 3.5 - 4 weeks of age. to 'play' with

Little vultures catch on fast and have the bones stripped bare after getting them for a day or two.

By 6 - 8 weeks they are eating chicken frames, thighs, marylands and turkey necks bones and all without issue.

Yes. Started on turkey necks and chicken thighs/marylands at 3.5 - 4 weeks of age. to 'play' with

Little vultures catch on fast and have the bones stripped bare after getting them for a day or two.

By 6 - 8 weeks they are eating chicken frames, thighs, marylands and turkey necks bones and all without issue.

I do the same with my pups

I do the same with my pups

same here....started our 3 wk old sheppies on soft lamb ribs, it's so funny watching babies (with no teeth) suck & gum meaty bones to death.........

my husband was watching them one day & commented on "what a slow but cute way it would to be suck/gummed to death by a pack of toothless puppies" laugh.gif

By 6-8wks of age, the pups were very capably devouring 1/2 a chicken carcess each biggrin.gif

Your replies have been great to read through! Love reading everyone's opinions.

Do you think that if a puppy has never eaten raw meat or bones before they go to the new owner, they are less likely to know what to do with raw bones?

Once solids are introduced I start giving them raw meaty bones. Initially they just suck at them/play with them but they quickly progress to devouring them. By 6 weeks they can quite competently consume a chicken wing.

I also used lamb ribs, roo spine (they mostly give their jaws a good work out getting all the meat off rather than consume the bone with these ), turkey neck pieces and whatever else I can get hold of that is appropriate. It Bones are always chosen to be too big for them to gulp down.

My pups are started on raw when they are ready and before they leave home they are eating chicken necks, wings if they can chew them up and they are well on the way to consuming raw meaty bones of all kinds. My last litter was dragging a chicken carcass around the whelping box at three weeks. They couldn't eat it then but certainly could when they left for their new homes.

By introducing them early and raw meaty bones becoming the rule rather than the exception, they all eat nicely, chew well and the new owners don't have to worry about them inhaling their food.

Yep! Wisdoms litter was weaned onto a purely raw diet. We don't feed any of the dogs on dried food, the pups were no exception. Among many benefits feeding Raw Is great to help build/develop the muscle in pups jaws.

Edited by huski

Yep same here. Though I did also make sure that they were used to eating other foods in case their new owners wanted to feed them commercial food. I don't like people telling me what to feed my dogs and I don't ever intend to tell others how to feed theirs.

We have an 11 week old pup here who came to us at 8 weeks. Whilst she had some introduction to raw food it wasn't like we feed ours and it took her very little time to become a pup who could devour a chicken carcass!

Yep same here. Though I did also make sure that they were used to eating other foods in case their new owners wanted to feed them commercial food. I don't like people telling me what to feed my dogs and I don't ever intend to tell others how to feed theirs.

We have an 11 week old pup here who came to us at 8 weeks. Whilst she had some introduction to raw food it wasn't like we feed ours and it took her very little time to become a pup who could devour a chicken carcass!

This. :thumbsup: People's dogs are their own and their choices are likewise.

Mine get variation in their diets to hopefully offset any fussiness when they head off to new homes. They also get chicken necks from a few weeks old, graduating to wings, drumsticks, frames etc. They also get fresh whole carcasses if available - example: I have three nearly four month old pups at home, their mum was given a whole fresh rabbit recently and she took it straight to them. No question about them knowing what to do with it..,.