Clear/translucent Anal Discharge

benz

put him on a bland chicken and rice diet with some of the water the chicken was boiled in, small meals a few times a day. Being a puppy he could have just eaten some dirt, cat poo, sticks, plants, insects, etc etc etc. Parvo has quite a distinctive stench of incredible rotteness, not just doggy loose poo smell

Yep your probably right, he loves dirt, cat poo, sticks, plants, insects, etc etc etc. he seems to be eating ok now and his poo seems better. Thanks for your post

Always something to worry us. Hope the puppy continues to improves.

Big HUGS to you both

:heart:

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey thanks for that Starkeyre....trust me I will be keeping a VERY close eye on him. FYI, it shouldnt be worms, been wormed every 2 weeks since birth. I will get him to the vet in the morning if he's still showing symptoms.

Yr welcome benz and good on you.

As long as it is a good quality wormer you are using, I would suggest you drop back dosing to monthly now at least for another couple of months, then just every 3 months is fine. You don't want to be bombarding his system unnecessarily.

And if you definitely don't find any worms in his faeces, definitely don't worm him until he is over this issue :)

... and give him a big kiss from me.... and may we have some piccies please??? :D

Tried putting up pics but no joy i'm afraid....not very tech savvy :) Thanks again for your posts. Worm tablets are from vet and yes its been 2 weeks since his last one and vet said next one due in 2 weeks, so a month, then every month till he's 6 months then every 3 months vet says. He's back to being his usual playfull self today although still not happy with me for some reason. Never thouht i'd be excited about seeing a solid poo...lol

Well we went to the vet this morning, had parvo and corona virus test, both negative...yayyyy (oh and FYI, vet said you cant get a false positive from vaccinations for parvo, other diseases yes but not parvo). Vet said he probably has picked up a parasite tho, probably from eating cat poo....grrrrrr (bloody neighbours cats), so $116 worth of medication later....only time will tell i guess. Going back in 2 days to see how it going. Anyway I'll keep u all posted

Edited by benz

You CAN get a false positive for Parvo after an MLV vaccine... your vet may be in need of double checking his advice...

T.

I was just telling what the vet said but..ok, so i'll just ignore what a QUALIFIED vet says and take advice from someone on a internet forum shall I???? Sorry mate but I have no idea who you are. I just had a pervo test done 5 days after a vaccination and it was negative

Great news Benz! The older tests for parvo that were run on faeces could give a false positive, the newer tests run on blood can not! So yay for you and your pup, good on you for doing what was needed for him! Hopefully all will be fine now the medication is on board.

Glad it was nothing serious

Honestly, your pup has had a dicky gut and been lethargic for about a week and your vet recommends you stuff some more chemicals down it's throat??? Time to think about the advice you are being given, and it really doesn't matter how much you paid for it.

Glad it was nothing serious

Honestly, your pup has had a dicky gut and been lethargic for about a week and your vet recommends you stuff some more chemicals down it's throat??? Time to think about the advice you are being given, and it really doesn't matter how much you paid for it.

The vet has probably prescibed medication in order to restore the dog to optimum health.

When one of my dogs is unwell I happily take veterinary advice to "stuff chemicals down it's throat" if medication is required to get my dog well again.

That's why I took the dog to the vet in the first place. If I thought I knew better than the vet I wouldn't bother taking my sick dog to the vet.

I was just telling what the vet said but..ok, so i'll just ignore what a QUALIFIED vet says and take advice from someone on a internet forum shall I???? Sorry mate but I have no idea who you are. I just had a pervo test done 5 days after a vaccination and it was negative

Hey Benz,

I think that it would be best if you quit with the attitude ! Be nice ! :)

You came HERE looking for advice and opinion..... you got that. If you dont want it then dont post !! ..... just go to the QUALIFIED vet rather than look for advice on an internet forum.

Just to put you in the picture..... you say that you dont know who people are on this forum so I will tell you that there are a lot of people on this forum with enormous experience AND qualification to boot.

You are new here and I suppose perhaps dont realise what a wealth of knowledge there is available to you. If you get narky with people that have offered opinion and advice (which is what you asked for in the first place) you may find that there is a certain reluctance to help you in the future.

...... just wondering what a "pervo test" is....... the mind boggles....... reminds me of the old joke about the lab test and the cat scan :rofl:

Edited by Wundahoo

That's unfair Sandra. Pups don't deal as well with parasites that older dogs would deal with easily. when my pup was young he had coccidia, giardia and another bacterial infection all within the space of a few weeks - he would have struggled a lot without antiparasitic medication and antibiotics. Young puppies need all the help they can get when they're ill, because they can go downhill so fast. To assume that medication would cause more harm than parasites or an infection is ridiculous.

Edited by aliwake

You CAN get a false positive for Parvo after an MLV vaccine... your vet may be in need of double checking his advice...

T.

Why didn't you go first for qualified advice and not a dog forum, if you think so little of randoms on the internet?

That's unfair Sandra. Pups don't deal as well with parasites that older dogs would deal with easily. when my pup was young he had coccidia, giardia and another bacterial infection all within the space of a few weeks - he would have struggled a lot without antiparasitic medication and antibiotics. Young puppies need all the help they can get when they're ill, because they can go downhill so fast. To assume that medication would cause more harm than parasites or an infection is ridiculous.

Actually, to give medication without knowing that the dog has the parasite in the first place could place a heavier strain on an already upset GI system. There are many things that could have given the signs that this dog has and while it is a possibility that he may have picked up something from cat faeces it doesnt sound to me as though it has been proven to be the case. I'm sure that you dog would have been tested for giardia and coccidiosis and then prescribed the relevant drugs, not just simply given them to treat a possible infection.

My dogs do not get any medications unless I know that there is a need for them, same for myself...... no meds without an appropriate test that indicates the relevance of a prescription drug.

. Vet said he probably has picked up a parasite tho, probably from eating cat poo....grrrrrr (bloody neighbours cats), so $116 worth of medication later....only time will tell i guess. Going back in 2 days to see how it going.

did he do tests to see exactly which ..or take an educated guess?

Hopefully the medication will do the trick , and your pup will be comfortable soon.

Actually, to give medication without knowing that the dog has the parasite in the first place could place a heavier strain on an already upset GI system. There are many things that could have given the signs that this dog has and while it is a possibility that he may have picked up something from cat faeces it doesnt sound to me as though it has been proven to be the case. I'm sure that you dog would have been tested for giardia and coccidiosis and then prescribed the relevant drugs, not just simply given them to treat a possible infection.

My dogs do not get any medications unless I know that there is a need for them, same for myself...... no meds without an appropriate test that indicates the relevance of a prescription drug.

I do understand your point, however we have no idea what's even been prescribed here - it was a very big jump to 'chemicals'. medication can be appropriate and very effective - particularly with a small pup.

Without the OP giving us every single detail of her visit to the vet, perhaps we should believe that the qualified vet the OP has seen has actually done a good job and given appropriate treatment...

Oh, and Benz --- don't get too cranky with those trying to help ...this is D O L ..and a lot of threads involve very different opinions/points of view , education ,strong discussion, and disagreement. ;) MOST times , decent forum etiquette prevails ....and new folks get used to the back & forth .

T.

Why didn't you go first for qualified advice and not a dog forum, if you think so little of randoms on the internet?

Ummm... considering I've had nearly 200 rescue foster pups come through my place over the past 5 years, and bred a few litters of Rotties and other breeds prior to that... I may have a little experience under the belt.

I may actually have seen more interesting illness presentations than most qualified vets... seriously, my local vet used to ring ME for diagnostic advice... lol!

I've seen and dealt with Parvo, Distemper, Coronavirus, vaccinosis, Coccidia, Giardia, many types of intestinal worms and bugs... as well as the fun of more cases of Kennel Cough than anyone needs to see. I've even seen Tetanus in a dog... which, unless your vet deals regularly with horses, I'm willing to bet he may never have seen either.

You came looking for some possibilities to talk to your vet about when you finally decided to take your ill dog to the vet - after it had been off it's food and lethargic for some days, and had some scary stools to boot...

Maybe next time, don't fart-arse about asking for stranger advice on the internet, and take your sick dog to the vet straight away instead.

If I were your vet, I would have done a fecal float and checked for what type of bug may be going on there... there is no one-stop fix for all of them. At least then he could look up his trusty MIMS and prescribe the right drug to deal with whatever is actually ailing your dog instead of a "we'll try this and check back in a couple of days if when it doesn't work" (then I can charge you for more drugs/tests because you'll be even more concerend and willing to part with the money)...

T.